Does this ease your Tinnitus/Fullness/Brain Fog/Constant Tiredness?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Papajoe, Jan 5, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

Read the post. Please don't vote until you've tried it.

1. Nope, didn't help a bit.

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. OMG - It DID help ease my symptoms.

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. It helped ease my symptoms a lot!

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. Trinity

Trinity Bilateral Menieres 20 years, 24-7 symptoms,

This is the third day I have taken the alka seltzer gold. For the past two days I have had a constant air raid siren in my better ear, the one that is always symptomatic. As I said before this used to happen when my hearing decided to clear up in that ear. Now I am so deaf that it only clears up the distortion. I am an unusual case. I think I have two different things going on in each ear. I am not even sure if my right ear has meniere's. It is mostly just deaf with mild symptoms. I do not have any vertigo so I don't think I have Mav. I did have vertigo 6 years ago and three drop attacks in the past 15 years. The last one was almost three years ago. I know I have the herpes virus, but anti virals have not helped. I take 3000mgs of l- lysine a day. I just don't think I can handle going on such a strict diet. I think about 4 or 5 different things are causing my symptoms. I am in perfect health otherwise. I do not think my immune system is compromised in any way. Just keep searching for something to help, but can't find it. Maybe this alkline problem is causing some of it. Carole

2. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

Thanks Carole. I'd stop taking it then. If it helps, then food allergies should be investigated, but if it doesn't, then there's no reason (unless you like the flavor) :p

3. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Papajoe,

Thank you for the extended explanation you provided. You have done a great job of assimilating facts, acquiring and applying a body of knowledge to those facts, and drawing valid theoretical conclusions. And to the extent that acting on those valid conclusions remedies your symptoms, then any other possible causes for your symptoms may reasonably be discounted.

My concern is that, while your symptoms have indeed been affected by acting on your conclusions, to a lesser extent they still remain. Of course that means that either the symptoms will continue to decline if you can successfully manage a plan against the theoretical actors that cause them, or they will not. If the symptoms only decline so far and still remain, albeit at a lesser extent, then either tissue damage will not allow them to continue to decline, or there is something outside of your theory that still acts causing them to remain. For this reason, I expect that it would not be wise that at this stage of your recovery, you fall in love so to speak with this one theory while discarding all other non-invasive treatments that have demonstrated certain efficacy treating not only what you call MM symptoms, but also any and all of the collateral symptoms to which we both here refer.

I am delighted for you that you have reasoned a theory that has allowed you to positively affect your symptoms. Your willingness to share what you have learned is applauded by everyone on this site. I believe that your theory is so well-reasoned that if it could be framed into a more declarative thread it should be included as a Database post. What you wrote as a response to my question was very well reasoned. Thank you again for such an effort.

Hank

4. Papajoe

Thanks Hank. I'm not that in love with the theory, but it's the best one I've got at the moment. One obvious question is, if reactivated zoster is the reason, why don't we all have Shingles?

I am taking L-Lysine and bioflavanoids for the MM, and probiotics to help with the food intolerance. I didn't mean that the anti-virals and other treatments aren't effective, just that they probably won't do much good if the underlying immune system is still being compromised. I go back to see my oto in about three weeks. If I still have tinnitus, he's going to give me some Famvir to try.

Thanks for your kinds words.
    Papa Joe

5. mikeg

mikeg New Member

OK i`ll try it again when i`m not about to go to bed.

6. June-

June- New Member

Based on my own experience I find little to argue with you about. My case certainly could fit your theory. But I have this one thing that doesn't fit any theory except maybe Jordan's observations.

On the same hour of the same day I developed both hydrops (at least fluctuating low frequency hearing loss) and manifestation of eustachian tube problems. Two good oto's have told me I have both. As to how it happened at the same moment, at least one attributes it to my cluelessness. I really don't think so. In addition, the two things got better together and they seem to fluctuate to some extent to gether.

While it seems most people here 'just' have inner ear stuff, a fair number seem like me to have both. Does your theory expand easily to cover the eustachian tube thing happening at the same time?

I will order the paperback based on the title. I have long (30+ years) had both allergy and food intolerances. THe food intolerances were the more problematic to me.

7. Papajoe

LOL - you give me far more credit than is due :) Remember, I'm not a doctor (though I did play one in elementary school).

I'm not sure how to tell if I have eustachian tube problems or not. I do know that my tinnitus and fullness and hearing loss are usually (but not always) in lock step - when one increases so does the other, and I think they showed up at the same time for me too. And even though I occasionally have tinnitus without fullness I think my fullness and hearing loss are completely related. Maybe the fullness is a clogged eustachian tube?

If so, a clogged eustachian tube is consistent with either a classical allergy or a food intolerance.

I think you'll be pleased with the book.

8. Papajoe

This won't work for everybody, but I hope it does for you :)

9. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

Dear Dr. PJ, I found the gold and I don't mean Columbian. I'll keep you posted after I take it.

10. Papajoe

Ah, you found the Acapulco!

11. Papajoe

This morning I am brain fog and dizziness free, with just a trace of tinnitus. Yesterday I still had some dizziness due to Friday's challenge of lemon juice, which dinged me pretty good. Several doses of the Alka-Seltzer Gold Friday and yesterday helped knock it out.

Just for grins, I scanned in my IgE/IgA/IgG antibody tests. They draw several tubes of blood, ship it to the lab, and mix different foods with it then measure the different anti-bodies. You can click on the links at the bottom.

IgE is the antibody that is associated with Classical Allergies (the type that can lead to hay fever or anaphylactic shock). Fortunately, I don't show any reaction with those.

The IgA and IgG antibodies are associated with Food Intolerance. Dr Taylor said that anything at one or less are essentially non-reactions. When it gets into the 2 or 3 range, that's when you usually start seeing symptoms, though he says that the strength of the symptoms don't always match the strength of the antibody measurement.

Dr Taylor also says that antibody blood testing is usually not all that accurate, but this is the best company he's found so far for the IgA and IgG antibody test. But since BCBS considers it an "experimental" test, I had to pay $250 for it. In the end, though, the treatment the doctor recommends is the same as if I hadn't taken the test. I got it mostly for my own peace of mind.

Before I took the test, I had identified wheat and peanuts. Once I got the results I've independently verified that yeast and citrus definitely are triggers, so I've found the results to be pretty accurate, despite the Dr's caveat.

So for my elimination/rotation diet I'm avoiding those that show a reaction, and eating those that don't. I rotate those foods I do eat so that I don't eat them except every three or four days.

Today is my rice & fish day. Yesterday was potato and lamb. Tomorrow will be corn and either beef or pork. I had fresh fruit for breakfast, and I'll make a big plate of sushi this afternoon that will be my dinner.

When I make the sushi, I'll have to avoid soy (since it's fermented and fermentation=yeast). I found some amino-acid extract which is marketed as an alternative to soy, I'll use it as my dip. I'll also forgo unagi as that has soy already in it. I'll eat tuna, tilapia, and mackerel, and nori for the rolls. I'll also avoid using sushi vinegar in the rice. I've noticed that many sushi restaurants don't use it anyway.

Here are my resuts:
    http://www.papadisc.com/Foods1.pdf
    http://www.papadisc.com/Foods2.pdf

12. June-

June- New Member

I don't think I ever had 'fullness', I did have some unexplained pain in one of my ears. My tinnitus went WAY down with the antivirals. Do you have trouble with your ears when you fly? THat would be eustachian tube I think. I do.

Yes I am sure allergy is part of it. But I try to make sense of how ALL these things happened on the same day. Was it just the straw that broke the camel's back or does the virus not only hang out on the auditory nerve and in the cochlea (and other inner ear structures for other people) but are there also 'blister' type things that could affect the eustachian tube and/or middle ear? Is there a nerve there or can they pop up where there is not a nerve? These things I wonder about because every area seemed to have dramatic improvement when I first took antivirals just like everything seemed to come on at once.

13. Papajoe

I haven't flown since I got MM, so I don't know if it would bother me or not. The other questions are very good, but beyond that I can't say. It's certainly possible. But remember, with shingles, even though the virus affects the nerves, the blisters are on the skin, so I guess it can pop up where there isn't a nerve (though it's probably near a nerve).

14. June-

June- New Member

Yes, we need some oto's working on this theory. About the eustachian tube thing fwiw. I always test normal on the tympano thing. But two good otos tell me I clearly have eustachian tube problems. One said get a vent tube, one said no ( I think he was being a little contrary at the time). I didn't because I only have one ear that works so I am very cautious. I finally got to ask an oto who was a 'fellow' who had lots of time to take my history how that can be that the tympanogram is normal. He said the muscles et al around the eustachian tube are not in tip top shape. It is not occluded but they don't open and close in elegant fashion so I have problems like on the airplane and really all the time. It made such good sense when he explained it. Almost like the way other stuff doesn't work quite so well when we get older.

Here's another question for you on the allergy front. DH and I both caught a head cold over Christmas. The classic stuffy nose etc, really bad but just in the head. Went away quickly. During that time, if I walked into the kitchen where something was roasting in the oven the nasal passages immediately closed up. Not congestion, that inflammation type thing. When I went to a room with clean air the opened up somewhat. When I reclined they closed up, when I ran up and down the steps the opened up. I think most people have experienced this with certain head colds. Here's the thing. This is EXACTLY how the remainder of my hearing problem operates. Exactly the same triggers on and off. But not in the nasal passages, in something that opens up/frees up middle ear and closes or obstructs proper functioning.

What exactly is going on with the ears then. I realize you are not a doctor but since your brain is primed and running, I thought I would request you take a run at it.

15. Papajoe

LOL I'll add it to the list of stuff to research and see what I can find out (but since I'm able to work now I don't have as much spare time as I did when I was constantly out sick).

16. June-

June- New Member

thanks

17. DizzyinColorado

DizzyinColorado Formerly known as DizzyInColorado

Wow, Papajoe - I have just read through this thread and it is fascinating! I am going to start the diet tomorrow. I think that I only have MAV (according to latest Neurotologist) but am always afraid that it is really just MM. When I was first diagnosed with MM, my neurotologist at the time did a Herpes test and she said that I had the highest reading that they ever had seen. In addition, I have always had allergies and had the Intradermal skin test in 3/07. I reacted highly to many things on this diet. Why have I never put these things together before? My own GP offered me the antibody test that you mentioned a year ago. I declined because of the out of pocket cost but I am going to get it done now - why not? I will let you know how it all turns out and I will get some Alkaseltzer Gold tomorrow and try that too. Thanks again for sharing your experience with us all!! Dawn

18. June-

June- New Member

Did you take antivirals then?

19. DizzyinColorado

DizzyinColorado Formerly known as DizzyInColorado

Yes, she put me on acyclovir but at a low dosage - not like I read about on this board. I can't remember how much; it was several years ago. I didn't notice any difference so she discontinued but now I wonder if I shouldn't have had a much larger dosage to begin with.

20. RJMc

RJMc New Member

I did try it, but didn't notice any significant difference. My symptoms are just tinnitus right now, so I'll try later when I feel an episode may be coming on.

Bob M