Doctors say cannabis treats Meniere's Disease

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, May 5, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. DizzyMel

DizzyMel New Member

Can you say BROWNIES?

2. livestrong

livestrong New Member

Oh my goodness.. this is CRAZY!! But if it works.. who knows.. I WILL NOT TRY IT.. YOU ALL CAN FIRST..LOL

alisa

3. livestrong

livestrong New Member

MY GOODNESS MY AMBIEN IS ENOUGH FOR ME AT NIGHT.. HAVE YOU ALL TRIED THAT..

LITTLE OLE ME

4. burd

burd New Member

You don't need to smoke it or get stoned to get the benefits. Actually, the relief from smoking it lasts only about an hour, but you can make a tincture of it using food grade alcohol or an oil that you add to a food or drink and it will give you results for hours, and you don't get stoned. Baking it up in brownies or whatever else and it will pass through your system without extracting enough of the beneficial chemicals.

5. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Marijuana

Chemical, medical,
    or scientific name:

The main chemical component of this substance is delta-9-tetrahydro-cannabinol (THC).
    Street names:
    Commonly called weed or pot, marijuana is also known as grass, herb, mary jane, and reefer.

Drug Classification:

Cannabinoid

According to a report from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the United States. It comes from a type of hemp plant known as Cannabis sativa. The plant is dried and usually smoked. There are several popular methods for smoking the drug. It can be made into cigarettes using rolling papers—these are commonly known as “joints.” Others remove the tobacco in cigars and replace with marijuana to create “blunts.” Pipes and water pipes called bongs are also used. Marijuana is sometimes ingested. It can be made into a tea or added to food..

Short-term effects:

Along with creating a feeling of improved well being or a high, marijuana causes increased heart rate and slowed response times as well as intensifying the user’s perception of sounds and colors. It may also affect a user’s sense of time, making him or her feel that time is moving slowly. Marijuana may also lead to increased hunger or thirst.

Long-term effects:
    There are certain health risks with smoking any kind of substance, such as respiratory illnesses and infection. Studies show that marijuana smoke may be more hazardous than tobacco smoke. Smoking marijuana may lead to cancer of the respiratory tract and lungs.

Mental effects:
    After initial euphoric high passes, a marijuana user may feel drowsy or depressed. There have been some cases of the drug causing feelings of anxiety or panic attacks. The drug can impair memory and affect learning capabilities. In high doses, a user may experience hallucinations or delusions.

Physical effects:
    Marijuana can affect a person’s coordination and increase heart rate. Blood vessels in the eyes dilate, making them appear red. With frequent use, a person may suffer respiratory problems, such as a chronic cough or a respiratory infection.

http://www.aetv.com/intervention/int_druginfo_mo.jsp

6. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

In the interest of fairness and education ~ Marijuana's therapeutic uses are well-documented in modern scientific literature. The studies indicate that marijuana provides symptomatic relief for a number of medical conditions, including nausea and vomiting, stimulating appetite, promoting weight gain, and diminishing intraocular pressure from glaucoma. There is also evidence that smoked marijuana and/or THC reduces muscle spasticity from spinal cord injuries and multiple sclerosis, and diminishes tremors in multiple sclerosis patients. Patients and physicians have also reported that smoked marijuana provides relief from migraine headaches, depression, seizures, insomnia and chronic pain, among other conditions.

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=3472 there are links to numerous medical studies to be found there.

I understand due to the illegality of marijuana that many are repulsed by the idea, or maybe it's the "stoner" image it conjures up. But at least be informed

7. livestrong

livestrong New Member

I will pass this on to DAn and to my pshytriast.. and let you know what they all say.. very interesting thoughts.

alisa

8. burd

burd New Member

Along with those thoughts is that smoking it can cause the respiratory problems addressed in Toni's post. Why trade one problem for another? Which is why there are other options. As far as it's possible undesirable side effects, I believe it should be considered a legitimate pharmaceutical like any other, after all, look at all the stuff the FDA has been approving with all the possible complications and serious side effects they can induce. Heck, alcohol is legal and look what it does to people, and with very little, if any, health benefits. Legality of marijuana or not has nothing to do with health precautions as far as the government sees it, even if that is what they are preaching.

P.S. Cigarettes are legal, with no health benefits at all, and proven to kill people in outrageous numbers each year, and yet they are legal. So not legalizing marijuana for it's medical benefits, and claiming it's because of health reasons, is absurd.

9. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not advocating people trying anything they are not comfortable with. For all my "pro-pot" stance, I haven't smoked in over 10 years. I didn't like how it made me feel and the fact that it is illegal probably more than anything stopped me. After all, I have to live and work in the real world too. Well, I used to when I wasn't spinning and tossing my cookies on a regular basis.

My point was this. I do know it works for certain things for certain people. Anyone that watches TV has seen the many prescription drug ads that quickly tick off "side effects" that often make me wonder if the cure isn't worse than the problem the medication is suppose to treat!

Pot is no worse and to paint it as poison that will turn a person into a raving schizophrenic murderer is unfair and hysterical.

10. ToniG

ToniG Guest

I was pro-pot until the last couple of months. Enough literature and stats have come out.

11. June

June New Member

Not all. Like all groups there are the good, the bad, and the majority who are inbetween. Just like movie stars when they get in trouble everyone hears about it. Without politicians we would have to go back to kings and dictators. Democracies and republics require politicians to work. I always hope those who criticize are willing to run for office themselves and set an example of how the job should be done.

12. utalledo

utalledo Paradise

Back in the days when I used to smoke marihuana, my life was so relaxed, fun, etc....lol. If somebody try it and works with MM please let me know!!! I will try it at night when nobody see me! lol

13. NightOfTheLivingTed

NightOfTheLivingTed New Member

I had read about this before, and desperate to try anything that would help, tried it a few months back. Didn't help me at all, actually gave me a mild episode of vertigo. Could be coincidence, who knows—and everyone reacts to these things differently—but my experience didn't inspire confidence.

14. Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta New Member

It looks like a lot here are over-looking something..First (yes through experience) I KNOW marijuana dose work a lot faster, and more effectively on dizziness and nausia than "conventionally" prescribed drugs, and if anything, you have a better appetite than before the attack.
    But yes smoking anything is no good for your lungs - BUT you do not have to smoke marijuana (that is the delivery system I use, and most others that use it for whatever reason is), you can also make tea with it, use it as a spice in cooking, something to add to home made baked goods, it can even be eaten just as it is (and dose not taste that bad).
    While smoking it dose cause it to get in to the blood fast, and thus work sooner, the other methods are a safer way of using it, and you actually end up needing less to get the same result, and it has it greater half-life that way.
    But if you are going to smoke it, not all, but a lot of the stuff that is damaging to the lungs, can be filtered out by using a water pipe (a.k.a. Bong), the water not only filters out a great deal of the cancer causing chemicals, it also cools the smoke, so as to avoid scaring from inhaling hot vapors.
    It's also not really that difficult to just extract the THC from it (the active chemical), and that can be made in to a pill, liquid, or any form you like.

15. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

my son also says it is useful to keep one from being too motivated, it eliminates all "type A" behaviors, it keeps one from burning too many calories uselessly (as in doing housework or some other activity that might be deemed productive), saves money on water, soap and toothpaste because one does not think about cleanliness or other superfluous details of living and it helps one forget unpleasant memories like the boring material you just learned for your college exams--so it has lots of value beyond the medicinal purposes for which it is sometimes used

actually, in all seriousness, I have long been a proponent for its legalization--a mini study I did in 1990 suggested the government could generate ten billion a year in taxes if it were legal (and that didn't include the gargantuan savings in legal costs we now incur because it is illegal)--as others have pointed out, we are selective and not necessarily consistent about which vices we designate legal/illegal

despite my political stance on the issue, I know very well that it has deleterious effects and I doubt all of them have even been listed here--Red's suggestion that one try another method of ingestion is a good idea--if nausea is the primary symptom one is treating, however, ginger may be fairly effective and easier to obtain than marijuana and certainly a more salubrious alternative than grass

16. June

June New Member

Well said. Amen.

17. thedawgboy

thedawgboy New Member

Okay, there are murders linked to MJ. These usually involve conflicts arising from the trade of an illegal sunstance.

MJ is a gateway drug. In as much as people try this illegal and "dangerous" drug, and feel a bit happy, and figure what could be so bad about these other illegal drugs.

MJ is more cancerous in joint form than a cigarette. However, most cigarette smokers smoke 20 cigs a day, and I have never in my life heard of someone that can smoke 20 joints in a day. (Oh yeah, and it does not have to be smoked, and if it is, it does not have to be in joint form.)

MJ is addictive. MJ is less addictive than chocolate. MJ is so low on the "physical addiction scale" that it barely rates. It is mentally addictive, but so are many legal behaviors, such as video games, gambling, and sex.

MJ and the components thereof can be used in a myriad of functions. It ain't just for smoking.

MJ is considered a hallucinagen, but an extremely mild one. No amount of MJ will cause the same sort of effects as an artificially manufactured hallucinagen (Such as LSD).

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/hemp/general/bruin.htm

As far as how it could work for MM? Well, if it reduces the fluid pressure in Glaucoma, and MM attacks usually involve fluid pressure in another system very close to the eyes..... well it makes sense to me. Aside from that, the entire relieves stress thing just jumps out at me.

Do I use MJ? No. Have I ever used it? Yes, but not in the last decade of my life. Will I use it if it were to become legal? If it helps, bring it on!!!

18. burd

burd New Member

Amen to that...God bless ginger!  ;)
    (it goes everywhere I do)

P.S. Good post dawgboy.

19. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

[​IMG]

Cannabis has been used medically for thousands of years in oriental and
    Middle Eastern countries and as an intoxicant for many hundreds of years in
    India and in the Middle East; and it was employed in Western medicine for
    at least two millennia. The medical use of cannabis in Europe and North
    America, however, declined in this century because of the lack of any
    standardised preparations of the plant product and its unreliable
    absorption when given by mouth, and because of the development of more
    potent and reliable drugs for the conditions for which cannabis was then
    being used.

http://www.ukcia.org/research/CannabisTheScientificAndMedicalEvidence.htm

20. DizzyMel

DizzyMel New Member

Interesting - many strong feelings on this topic for sure!!!! :eek:)