Doctors say Cannabis treats Meniere’s disease...

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Caribbean, Apr 19, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. NH Raven

NH Raven New Member

I am glad to see this information. I am new to this site but since my vertigo has gotten worse (5 - 6 hours of being laid up) I have been researching everything I can find that might help. I have seen many sites that have stated that pot can help. I have not smoked in 20 years and I am a bit nervous about trying this experiment but when these attacks hit, I will try anything for it to stop.

I am very happy that I have found this site and have others that know my pain. The foggy brain, being sick.... It sucks and if taking a hit or two will stop the attack, bring on the "up in smoke" DVDs.......

2. pardonme

pardonme Guest

3. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

My experience of pot is that it seems to stunt the growth of teenagers. My brother was 5'7' until he turned 23, then he sprouted up to over 6 foot. Why? They put him in jail and he could not do his daily pot. it COULD have been something else, but I really think it was the pot that caused this. Other than that....it seems fairly harmless for most folks. As long as they do not smoke it publicly, or drive while under the influence, I could care less. The gods put me beyond all temptation....I happen to be anaphylactically allergic to the smoke. I found out at a party my cousin was giving. She almost let me die rather than take me to the doctor and get 'found out'. I don't have anything against anyone trying something that truly helps them. Ya got my blessing! *grins and hides the chips*

4. pardonme

pardonme Guest

5. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

Heehee! I think you may be right!

6. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

Pot makes dizziness worse at least in my case. I do not smoke weed but at my high school I was in the restroom and got hot-boxed basically I was so dizzy and anxious for several hours after the fact that it made me wonder why people use the drug to get high. I know it can help people who need it for pain or other conditions but for me I think it would make my symptoms worse. I don't even know what cannabis is so I googled it lol.

7. pardonme

pardonme Guest

8. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

Oh ok; ya I don't know anything about recreational drugs.

9. NH Raven

NH Raven New Member

pardonme, well what kind would we want? I am willing to try anything to help but I have not smoked in over 20 years.

10. pardonme

pardonme Guest

11. NH Raven

NH Raven New Member

Thanks pardonme...

12. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

Hi Raven,

I noted in my previous post about some of the success I've had with the Sativa's and Indica's. Truth be told, everyone is different to some degree. In general though, I found the dominant Indica varieties to be most helpful for me.

Keep in mind that cannabis, as a medication, is just like any other med. It helps a good many patients but then it doesn't help some at all. For me the biggest relief was not having to deal with the ear/head pressure (fullness). Basically, it just held vertigo and nausea at bay so I didn't have to suffer through it all. Still, it didn't stop me from having a drop attack back in Dec., and after that had the Laby done.

Vikinggal: I think I might turn a bit green in a cloud of smoke, too.. :(

Odds are very high that you would not find a quality med from off-the-street. If your state has a law allowing medical marijuana, then that is the proper way to go, as then you are a legal patient and do not have to fear arrest just for taking a medication. Many states allow some form of Compassion Centers or legal dispensary. There you can find the quality of med's that you need, as the junk found on the streets is usually harvested too early to be mature, and you have no idea what you are buying.

Dizz

13. NH Raven

NH Raven New Member

Hi Dizz,

Well its not legal yet in my state but they have been working on that in the state house. I am not worried about legal issues but getting through the attacks. Thanks for the info.

Raven

14. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Siily me and my brain fog... I keep seeing this thread on the first page. Usually I read "Cannabis" but yesterday I saw "Cannibals" and today I read "Canadians"

15. I don't smoke pot (did when I was younger, like most everyone in California). But I can definitely see how it would help with the nausea with MM. No idea why I never thought of this before! Makes absolute sense to me, however.

Also, it could help sleep through a bad attack.

Medicinal marijuana is a non-issue, more or less, for a lot of Californians. It's been decriminalized here and it's pretty easy to get a medical marijuana card.

I don't personally like the way it makes me feel but if I didn't mind it, I'd definitely try it for MM.

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

They, "medical proffession, FDA, researchers, people on the street". Everybody, basically knows what the benefits of 'pot' are. Even my grandson (13yrs old) has said I should try it to help feel better!

They can't regulate it if they legalize it. Why would I, who has a need, go to my friendly neighbor drug store to get pot if I can get a better quality at lower cost without sales tax from the guy down the street??

The people who have a medical card? Some legitimately smoke it while they illeaglly sell it (gotta pay for it somehow, right). =~)

In Washington State you can get it if your doctor is 'approved' to prescribe it. Then you can get and/or grow it in small amounts. (please correct if I don't have it right).

It doesn't matter how much good it does. We already know it does much more good than harm. BUT, they can't make the money from taxes, licensing, and distribution if it's so easy to grow and process in our own homes.

I'm all for it. Maybe my Mom might still be alive, or at the least might have lived the longer for it.

They'll do it once they can word the law to have strict rules gonverning the licensing, growth, processing, advertising, packaging, cost, grade, production and sell of it...don't 'cha think??

The problem is we won't benefit from it. We'll all be dead!
    holly

17. rondrums

rondrums Bilateral

I used to get high all the time, back in the day. I gave it up years ago.

After I was diagnosed with Meniere's, I tried it a few times. It worked. I wasn't dizzy. It was amazing.

However, the next day, the dizzies were back as usual. This is just my personal experience; all of us are different. But I can't be stoned all the time because I have to work.

Nevertheless, for those who need relief, I believe it's worth a try.

Bless all,
    Ron

18. Ifishdizzy

Ifishdizzy New Member

Hi Holly,

Getting cannabis to be legal is an issue that has a million hurdles to it. The Gov't knows that cannabis has incredible medicinal properties (there are even 4, Federally approved medical cannabis patients), yet, the Gov't also considers cannabis as a Class 1 controlled substance, meaning they consider it the same as heroin and some other horrible drugs that are of no medical benefit. We all know it's horsepoop, but that's their story and so far "they" are sticking to it.

Consider also all the $$ that the pharmaceutical companies would lose if cannabis became a legal medicine. People could stop using all manner of prescription medications as the cannabis would do a better job for less cost. So, these pharmaceutical companies fight like hell anytime a bill is introduced to obtain legal status for medical use.

Currently, buying off the street also puts a person at risk of arrest, and honestly I've never known a street-level grower to have anything even close to the quality needed. Best bet is to raise it yourself if at all possible (and legal to do so). Then you can control how your medicine is grown, harvested and cured.

I am sorry, but your info about Washington State is incorrect. Any MD licensed in Washington State can sign a "Recommendation" for a patient. They can not "prescribe" it as that would violate a Federal law and they could lose their medical license (which is why most MD's are fearful of addressing the issue).

I received my Recommendation directly from my PCP, but this after proving to him that the cannabis was helping me in many ways. He saw the test results, and understood the beneficial effects of the medical cannabis.

In Wash. state the law allows a patient to grow their own medicine. This way the patient grows what they need in terms of specific strains and quantity. The law allows a patient to have up to 15 plants (in various stages) and they can possess up to 24 ounces of cured, usable buds.

The WA. law allows for an "affirmative defense", meaning you can still be arrested but you have a chance to prove your innocence in court with your medical recommendation. In most WA. counties the law enforcement does not bother the MMJ patients at all.

More info at the Wash. Dept. of Health website:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/medical-marijuana/default.htm

Dizz

19. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Thanks Ron...

20. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

I would so smoke pot if it helped but I am allergic to it...okay I've tried it before and got severely sick and when i worked with the undercover drug task force was around it and got very ill....I know I'm such a rebel :)