Do you

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Intrepid, Aug 20, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. BumbleBea

BumbleBea New Member

Do you feel that interacting and advising others who are suffering even though you don't agree with how they handle their issues could be sacrificing your happiness for others? Do you do that?
    Do you think you could or should? I guess the word would be empathize.

2. June-

June- New Member

You said you didnt know what it meant and that is why you asked so I figured it wasnt your wording ... If the question were something like sacrifice something you would like to give someone else something they want or need .... I could get my head around that but I dont think it is possible to make someone else happy period. Well maybe my dog, she is kind of easy to make happy which is one of the great things about a dog.

3. BumbleBea

BumbleBea New Member

LOL, June my dogs are easy to make happy too!!
    IMO, we can make others happy by making a difference in their lives even if it's for a short time or a day.
    For me, someone who takes the time to listen and tries to lighten my load or mood and when I leave I feel happy, well that person has made me happy. And maybe they gave up being with their kids are going to lunch with friends may be their sacrifice. Or maybe that being with me brought them down realizing how different my life is now and they keep thinking about that, well that would be a kind of sacrifice, wouldn't it?

4. June-

June- New Member

Well then, you are no doubt a joy to be around. Nothing nicer than someone who will take a little gift and feel grateful. In that case, perhaps you are the one giving happiness or it is a mutual thing. Some people you just can't make happy and they are the ones a person can see most needs to try some happiness.

5. June-

June- New Member

No, I don't see how I lose any happiness doing that. In fact, I might enjoy the interaction or learn something and that would probably add to my happiness.

6. BumbleBea

BumbleBea New Member

That was a very nice thing to say. Brought a smile to my face and made me happy. :) see we can be the one who makes someone else happy. It doesn't even take that much. This is something I will think about for a long time.

7. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Yes I do believe it is possible to make someone else happy. I've had many people in my life that have made me very happy. I think contentment is something that comes from within but happiness can certainly be brought upon us by people, nature, music, art, books, etc.