Do people leave when they get better?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by acujen, Aug 20, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. earfull1996

earfull1996 New Member

I periodically check in here. Not cured but definitely seem much better. Haven't changed much except my stress is gone. Wish more research was being done for a cure.

2. onesmartcookie

onesmartcookie New Member

So how do you handle the stress. I already take 1/2 a xanax every day. Presribed by my doc for anxiety.

3. amberini

amberini New Member

Dear cookie:

This disease is like an onion. Peeling away each layer brings new discoveries and challenges.

Regarding stress, first you have to identify it. Yours may come from relationships, so that would tell you to work on that area. But that will also mean you will increase the stress because of your action.

Maybe if you write a list of all your stressors, then give them a a number of importance. This could help you sort out some of the garbage that can clog up our lives.

Many people use a counselor to help them navigate through this obstacle course. It's very common to have depression and or anxiety when dealing with a health crisis.

I read in your other post about your recent attack. You probably haven't had a really good work up to determine if your symptoms are masking a different disease. Thyroid disease often mimics many of MM symptoms.

Start a thread asking for doctor's in your area and patient experiences with that doctor. You need to have some more testing to get a clearer picture of what's going on in your life.

I know right now you are overwhelmed at the prospect of this disease disrupting your life.
    Don't think too far ahead into the future right now. Just focus on today.

4. neil5557

neil5557 New Member

After many years of struggling with this disease, it took a turn for the worse in 2007 with drop attacks making life so unpleasant! At that time, there was no alternative, I had a laby done in order to get my life back…..couldn’t drive, zoned out on numerous drugs trying to control or minimize the attacks, loosing hours and hours of work, loosing days per week from being unable to function and so much uncertainty.

Immediately after my surgery life returned to normal….no more attacks, no drugs, no worrying….sure I needed time to adjust and get used to having only one ‘gyroscope’ but for the most part life is normal, something I hadn’t experienced in many years. My only regret, not having the laby done sooner.

So yes I do return to this web site every now and then…maybe my experiences and mistakes can help someone going thru the same hell I experienced….I hope so.

5. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

Good for you Neil5557.............I know Seadog wishes his laby would have worked as well.

Any symptoms in your good ear?

6. neil5557

neil5557 New Member

So far I have not had any symptoms in my good ear and according to Dr. Rauch there is a 25% that I will…but that is something I don’t even want to think about.

Just before my surgery I was tested and it was determined that I still had over 90% vestibular function in that ear so it had quite an impact on me…..regardless, I was driving in a week and back on the racquetball court in 2 weeks. The only down-side, I say “what?” a lot.

But I can’t stress enough how dangerous life can be when the drop attacks start….and don’t count on ‘burn-out’ happening, according to Dr. Rauch, that is a myth.

7. KTabc

So glad things are going fine now. That is a huge decision to make, but you are right in that drop attacks are dangerous.

Burn-out, in my humble opinion, can happen. The nerve is so damaged that it can't send the signals to the brain anymore. Like a gent shot only slower.

Some people burn-out and some never do.

8. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Cookie, I think handling stress is actually pretty complicated.

Sure, some of it--maybe even a lot of it--is attitude, mind over matter.

But I think some of it also depends on individual chemical make-up. I think some people simply make more "stress hormones" than others: http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm

To some extent, it may be possible to control this production. There is supposed to be a natural relaxation response after the "fight or flight" mode is no longer needed, but some people seem to stay in "fight of flight" mode 24-7. Things like yoga and exercise would probably be very helpful. Some people swear by biofeedback.

9. neil5557

neil5557 New Member

From what I’ve read here, a laby doesn’t always go smoothly….fortunately for me, it did. Living a normal daily life without giving a second thought to MM and the hell I was in for so many years seems so surreal. But I must admit Dr. Rauch was instrumental in turning my life around….the surgery was uneventful and that was key.

I hope more can experience the life altering change I went thru….a good doctor and supportive family are essential. Although we are in the clutches of this disease, our spouses and family members are caught-up in the same living hell and emotional pain. My life was quickly spirally downward to an unknown bleak future, I could not have done it alone.

10. drewzilla652

drewzilla652 New Member

YES, YES and YES.
    I haven't been to this forum in about 2 years, but lately I feel another attack coming so I'm becoming active here again.
    People ABSOLUTELY leave when they feel better. Consequently, the forum can appear much more doom and gloom than reality. No doubt about it.

11. acujen

acujen New Member

drewzilla, we have to keep that in mind, don't we? That this is just a VERY small sample of people with MM....maybe the 1% in which treatment didn't work or those who are not interested in pursuing further treatment. Thanks for reminding me that this board does not represent the full picture!

12. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

I think I was near burn out when the drops started. I often wondered if I would had tried to wait it out...

My Dr. does not believe in burn out

13. KTabc

There is always that maybe--but at some point, a person can't take it anymore. You did right for your situation.

14. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

I like to think so.

15. LisaB

LisaB New Member

My doc said burnout can happen, but that there is no average time until..............so some may never get it. It's not something you can count on, but it provides hope for all.

16. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

I can only speak for myself, but burnout happened for me in my left ear 15 years ago.

17. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

I've learned from an unrelated site that many times people arn't gone, they read but just seldom/never post anymore

18. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

I think most people who get suscessful gent, vns or laby's

Just go on as they are considered cured.

Know a guy who had IM strep and one with a double laby and they don't come around at all.
    They both feel the only solution is gent, laby, vns and don't want to be ridiculed or engage in the alternative theories. So they just go about life?

As one said to me, why waste my time. They don't want to hear my story and solution, thy want to debate vitamins.

19. citrinequartzlp

citrinequartzlp laugh as often as you can - even at yourself

My doc has me on Klonopin which is in the same category -- benzo's. From what I've heard about many oto's here in the states are they don't like to give them out because they may prevent the brain from compensating as quickly as if you are off of it.

But If I didn't take it, I wouldn't be out of bed. I take .5 mg 3x's a day which is a relatively low dose and I've been on that level now for 7 yrs. The only thing is since it can be addicting your doc needs to make sure you aren't adjusting to it too quickly and needing higher doses.

20. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

Dont know any that have ever gotten better.. maybe a long remission but not for good.