Do people leave when they get better?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by acujen, Aug 20, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. acujen

acujen New Member

I was wondering...do you think there are a lot of success stories out there that we don't read about? Do they come to this board for help then leave when they go into remission? It's so hard to find success stories on message boards. Is this because they don't feel the need to share with others in similar circumstances once they are "cured"? I wish more people would come to places like this and say, "Look at me! I'm better. I live a normal life!" (Thanks John of Ohio for being one of them.)

2. daveTO

daveTO New Member

Look into the database section or do a search for 'success stories'

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,25041.0.html

3. acujen

acujen New Member

dateTO, what does the (-ve) mean in your tag line?

4. daveTO

daveTO New Member

-ve means did not work

5. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

It's a natural reaction for most people to quit posting when they get better. It's not that they are ill-intentioned. But rather, once the need for support goes away (when the problems go away), this place tends to lose its purpose for many.

6. Papajoe

Papajoe Myco-dental Freak of Nature

I do think that when people feel better they tend to leave the board. Between having energy to do other things, and thus having less time. And not feeling as bad, you don't have a need to search, which is what brought most of us here.

I'm "almost" better, but I hope I'll still be hanging in here for a long time to come.

7. acujen

acujen New Member

Papajoe, that's awesome. We (well, I anyway) love to hear the inspiring stories and get encouragement from those who have beat it (yes, you nay-sayers, I DO believe you can beat it.)

8. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

Yes you can get the *Beast* under control and keep it there.

Larry

9. bertito

bertito The greatest composer who ever lived.

I think some people who haven't beat the beast, leave the board for several reasons: depression, other illnesses, family issues, gave up, to dizzy to spend time in front of the PC, financial problems, remember that some have lost their jobs and are in the process of applying for disability, unemployment insurance and have no money left for internet services. I had a brief remission recently and posted it here. I bet some of them will return once they solve whatever issues they are facing. I will be here as long as I'm phyisically able.

Bert.

10. FrenchMonkey

FrenchMonkey New Member

I have been guilty of this behavior occassionally. So here's my semi-success story. I'm on the John of Ohio regimen and valium. This seems to be working, I guess, because for long periods of time I don't have true vertigo attacks. The last period lasted nearly 4 months. However, I believe extreme stress is a trigger for me. By extreme I mean, when my symptoms are at their worst big life stuff is happening. Like a parent or beloved pet (or both in one case) have died or I've had some financial difficulties (hasn't everyone) or a personal relationship is ending. You know, this is definitely not the day-to-day stuff. During ordinary stuff, I need the valium infrequently. During the big stuff, I get "that feeling" regularly. Because of the JOH regimen the vertigo I get is so much more mild and lasts less than 30 minutes. I know this becuase these are the ones that happen in the middle of the night when I am not able to get a valium in time. During the day when I feel "that feeling" I put 1mg of valium under my tongue and it fades within 20 minutes. I don't know if this qualifies as a success story. But when I'm in between major life events and not feeling crappy, I can go for days or weeks without checking the boards. Perhaps that behavior mirrors my life. I tend to wake up, see how I'm feeling, get as much done as possible while I feel good because feeling bad could be right around the corner.

11. acujen

acujen New Member

FrenchMonkey, you possibly have the best screen name I've ever seen! Anyway, are you saying that a valium can STOP your attack and you are able to go about your day?

12. FrenchMonkey

FrenchMonkey New Member

Because, as everyone knows, monkeys speak French!

Yes, valium works for me. I have a perscription for 2mg tablets. I cut them in half and carry the halves in a pill case that goes where I go. It's cute, I got in on Etsy.

Anyway, to illustrate that it works quickly but not immediately, that last time I got the spins during the day, I put 1mg under my tongue and lay on my bed with my eyes closed. By the time the valium took effect, the spins stopped, within 15 minutes I started to notice a difference. Within half an hour I was back to myself. If I take the valium even earlier, when I get the feeling that the world is starting to shimmer, I can avoid the spins all together and at least make it through my day.

This board is where I got the idea to ask for valium from my doctor. There's a blog I read (My Life and Meniere's Disease) that gave me the idea to take the pill under my tongue (sublingually). It tastes as bad as you'd expect. But it works. I'm no expert but I hope to be soon (I'm studying to be a librarian and will probably end up a medical librarian after all this). But anything that promises to hit the blood stream faster than swallowing is the way to go for me.

I don't worry about addiction; I'm taking only 1 mg. No, I worry it will stop working. I don't know what I'll do if valium ever stops working for me. But there are plenty of other posts about that issue.

13. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

I stay around! I visit occassionally but now that I can live life; I'm out there doing that as well.

14. jaypr

jaypr New Member

I have virtually full control of the beast. However because my improvement was mainly due to John of Ohio, Burd, Papajoe, Henry Sullivan, Caribbean and many more people I do feel obliged to help others if I can. I visit this lovely site each day.

I'm from the uk and there is a similar forum here but to be honest all that seems to happen is that there is alot of support and hugs ( which is great ) but very little else. Alot of people on that forum seem to have accepted that they can do very little to gain control. Much more knowledge and determination here on this forum.

I can understand though, people who no longer visit the forum if they have improved alot.

Frank

15. June-

June- New Member

antivirals and allergy shots have my cochlear hydrops 95% gone. My hearing went from a moderate @50 dcb loss to entirely within the normal range. More importantly the distortion is corrected.

16. acujen

acujen New Member

Frank, thanks for your post. (Are you in London by any chance?) I was wondering what you mean by "improvement" with JOH? Would you say it put you in remission?

17. dizzyj

dizzyj New Member

/raise

I am guilty of this behavior. I consider the previous 2 years as my success story. After the Lab. surgery on my right ear. I had some minor aberrations while my body was attuning to it's new vestibular role. I was symptom free other than tinnitus but other than that and some phantom nerve pain my life returned to normal if there is such a thing :p
    I do miss a lot of the wit and wisdom of you good folks here,gardenfish,Linda<I'm sorry I can't recall if there was any other variation of your name>,deercharmer, dizzyjo,and several others forgive me for not remembering,just to name a few.

I won't say that I left intentionally as rather I pursued every way possible to get my life back. I started back to college a year and a half ago and finished all but one pre-requirement before I can apply to the nursing program. Which is now back on hold as anyone here that's had vertigo attacks can attest there is no "functioning" while it is in the full on and downright position. Anyway I'm not trying to be a downer but I did have two wonderfully attack free years and feel blessed for that reprieve. I hope this lends to others that frequent more than I have to post.

18. imbr

imbr New Member

I had 9 years of remission,time to raise my disabled son and get him settled and graduate high school. I had time to work and put some money back.I had time to bury both my parents. I am grateful that I was given all that time in remission. Right now I am unemployed and living off the money I saved,my son still lives with me and sometimes he is a bit trying for me to handle. My Doctor used silly things like he did 9years ago that did not work and I told him I did not want to do that again. I did not have time to waste-by the time he finally listened to me I lost my job.lost my insurance and have a high Cobra payment. I have not had a vertigo spell since I insisted on gent injections a 2 week intervals-this is also my complaint I wrote back to the clinic and it is being "investigated". My doctor wanted to preser ve my hearing and did not think much about my complaints about the vertigo. I will help anyone I can and I wish I had known about this site back in the early 90,s. Ivy

19. LisaB

LisaB New Member

I had the laby 3 years ago (crazy!) and do feel recovered. I do come back to see my friends. It's true I am not at home as much so don't come as often, but I do check in.

I think there are a lot of people who recover well and don't come back. Lots of successful vns and laby's I don't see here too much anymore. What a lifesaver this board was for me..........I'll never forget all the support here. :)
    Lisa

20. vikx

vikx New Member

I've been in remission since early 09 and am still here. I still have to take valium once or twice a year when I feel "off" but for the most part, live life. I want to be here and chat with my friends. VK