Do 'medical miracles' really exist?

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Caribbean, Oct 21, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

oope sid that wrong... You're not the POTHOLE Carrie.. I promise

2. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Well, that would definitely be a difference between you and me. Yes, I always want to know why. And that is just part of who I am. You don't need to know that, or are not interested to know that. And that is something that I cannot fathom.

I know that you appreciate beauty. So on the clearest non-moonlit night, nothing but stars and the Milky Way to ponder, does not your mind, even just for a moment, wonder 'Why?' 'How?' and maybe 'By Whom?' Maybe it doesn't. Maybe you appreciate the beauty of it and beauty is as far as it goes. But the first time I looked up into the starlit sky as a kid, all of those questions came into my head. And they have never left.

3. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

Then Henry you just might enjoy this:
    http://www.wimp.com/breathtakingfootage/

4. studio34

studio34 Guest

That was great! Thanks for the link.

5. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

That was cool. It's beautiful up there.

6. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I absolutely did enjoy it. Thanks for that. And I must confess, however, that when I saw that it was the flight of a spy plane, that I surmised that somehow you had set this up that they were actually going to zero in on my house from outer space and that everyone who chooses to watch it would see me out mowing my grass. I can't help it. But that was the thought that went through my mind.

I caught your post as I was about to post the answer to your earlier question. Here is what I was writing:

Although I did walk away earlier, I really do make it a point to try my best to never walk away from someone who asks a scriptural question that I can answer. That is kinda like what Christians are supposed to do. And even though your question was frought with disingenuousity, it occurs that there may be just the hint of seriousness in what you wrote. You may sincerely want to know the answer, but have only a few tools available by which to ask it. Since that might be the case, I will give you my answer about the oil. Others may have theirs.

Oil may be thought of as symbolic, at least in this world. But my own impression is that oil is a literal pouring out of God's Spirit, actuated by the spiritual, truthful intentions of the person who anoints. The scriptures indicate that God's Spirit can have many properties. But among those properties is a sort of 'spiritual liquidity.' In the Book of Joel, the prophet writes, "It will come about after this That I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind; And your sons and daughters will prophesy, Your old men will dream dreams, Your young men will see visions." In the Book of Acts, the Apostle Peter echos those earlier scriptures, citing that God would pour out his Spirit, again, the property of liquidity is apparent.

Anointing with oil goes back all the way to the Book of Genesis. The oil used had a fragrance pleasing to God. The anointing has always been a designation, someone who is chosen by God to fulfill some task, or given some gift, such as the gift of healing. God has poured out His Spirit of healing for that purpose.

In the scripture from James to which I referred, James 5:14-16, James says:

14Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord;
    15and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.
    16Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

When one anoints with oil in the name of the Lord, one is asking the Spirit of God to inhabit the one anointed. One is asking that God pour Out His Spirit on the one anointed. This goes directly to the intentions of the one who anoints. Jesus tells us that whatever we ask in His name, we will receive. That is pretty cryptic, and does not indicate that we get anything we want, only anything in His name. Those things in His name are those things Jesus told us that we would receive, or those things that God otherwise would wish us to receive in His sovereignty. One thing Jesus told us that we will receive throught His name is healing. He did not say when we would receive it. Sometimes healing occurs immediately. Sometimes it no doubt occurs in the next life, if we are to believe these things are true and they did not happen in this life.

But Jesus has the authority to heal. He paid for that authority by his stripes. "5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." (Isaiah 53:5) So it is not our job to dissect any of this. It is our job to obey, just do what James says do. And if we can usher in the Kingdom of God by our actions, and with our faith, aided by corporate faith, even asking for the gift of faith from God to pull this off, these healings do occur. Now you have never seen it. Scott has never seen it. In fact most Christians have never seen it. I have seen it. But to see it, one has to not only position one's self to see it, but one may have to actually live it. And there are people who do live it. That is all they do. But no daring of God, no testing of God, no scientific experiments of God, are going to make it happen. God is not a machine Who reacts in the same manner each time we press on a bar, as a rat would in an experiment. God is sovereign. And God has told us through His Word that He will not be mocked; He will not be tested; and to those who demand signs, no signs will be given. No, God wants one thing from us, faith in Him. And to demonstrate faith, it comes with the territory that one must suffer trials. It is that suffering, and staying in faith, that moulds men into God's image. God is perfectly faithful. God needs to prove nothing. It is men who must prove to God. And they do not do it with just works. They do it through faith-enhanced works, works done in faith, demonstrating faith. That is what the Bible is largely about. I hope this makes sense to you.

Now I have opened up to you and given you a sincere answer to a question that was questionably sincere. I trust that you will receive this answer, sincerely, as it is given. As they say, 'fool me once...' Today I give to you something, an answer as best I can give to a question you posed to me. And I all ask of you in return, is sincerity in receiving it.

Hank

7. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

I'm with you Sarita, how neat would that be....

8. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

CarrieO

Yep I was born and raised DownUnder. I am not a big vegemite fan my parents were European migrants so my breakfasts were often cooked meals with eggs and fetta cheese and fresh bread and even some salad. However I have to agree with Caroline it is an acquired taste and I guess you have to have had it as a kid to appreciate the flavour.

I can understand some people were not exposed to a variety of different foods for breakfast that they would not be interested in other types of breakfast options.

I was never raised on cereal except for porridge which an Australian neighbour taught my mum to make when we were kids. So we ate our European styled breakfasts (which our Aussie neighbours thought weird) and the occassional toast with Vegemite and Porrige.

My hubby who is what I call Anglosaxon Aussie has adapted to my cooking the types of breakfasts my parents used to make. However every now and then he likes to have just some Vegemite on Toast for a change.

9. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Seventeen pages later and all I can think to do is repeat something Jim wrote in the original post:

All kinds of things are inexplicable. Science is a process of continuous learning. But, in the search for explanations, it is quite a leap to go from “we don’t know” to “divine intervention.” There is a lot of untrodden territory between the two.

That just really resonates with me...

10. carolyn33

carolyn33 New Member

I complicate my life I think by taking on other peoples problems, or trying to help. I'm still not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I don't like negativity in my life, I have enough of my own when it comes to me and this MM and I even get over that bc I don't like to be 'sad' feel sorry for myself... You're right -yank the weeds throw 'em in the pothole of life

11. CarrieOakey

CarrieOakey New Member

12. CarrieOakey

CarrieOakey New Member

13. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

BarnYardBird

The annointing with oil of a sick person when praying.

The Jewish Priests had oil infused with all sorts of herbs. Not sure what type of oil the Apostle Paul was talking about here if it was the same as the Temple Priests used or just ordinary oil.

Now while the Holy Spirit can be from time to time associated with the term oil but He is only refered to this mainly in parables but as you can tell this is a literal set of instructions.

Also every person only recieves the Holy Spirit once when they are saved. I know of NO further Bible teaching that you get the Holy Spirit in increasing measures. You are sealed once as part of your salvation and notice God Himself annoints you.

Most Healing services I have attended the elders who are holding prayer for the sick would use common vegetable oil you buy for cooking. This would be lightly poured onto the persons head and they would then lay hands on the person and pray. It is often accompanied with confession.

My family are Eastern Orthodox but I attend a Protestant Church with my husband. In the Eastern Orthodox Church the priest can be asked to pray for a sick member of the Church and the type of oil he would use is common vegetable oil which has been prayed over and so sanctified but the oil is basic cooking oil. I believe the Catholic Priests do something similar. So I guess normal cooking oil would be fine and if you want it sanctified for only this purpose I would ask your Minister to pray over it.

Now sanctified simply means set apart for a specific religious purpose and your Minister can do this.

In the end it if you want to pray for someone who is sick it doesn't really matter if you have a formal healing prayer session with some of the elders from your church or fellowship group or you simply pray for them yourself or with some other Christians in a prayer group. God hears all our prayers and He will answer them.

Please note that the scripture (highlighted in blue text) here is emphasising that if the person is habouring Sin and is Sick that the act of confessing their sin so that they may recieve forgivness is necessary for Healing.

Jesus often healed many and told them to go t the Temple to be seen by the Priest. It is because Jesus not only healed but forgave the person their sins (because Jesus being God can forgive sin). Then Jesus would often warn these people who He healed not to go out and sin again.

If you don't get healing even after you do get prayer and annoitned with oil for healing, know that there are many who are not healed today. It was not sin that was keeping the person sick (Jesus even healed those who were not in sin). There are many other reasons for a persons sickness Sin is only one of many. We can only do what we know to do and hope that God will heal us today. If not don't give up on the Lord there are many things going on in the spiritual realm we cannot know that could be keeping us from getting healed on this Earth even if we are Saved Believers and in right standing with God.

There is so much to learn on this topic of prayer and healing from the Bible.

14. studio34

studio34 Guest

Absolutely. Thanks for the reminder Holly.

Intrepid – which weeds are you going to pull? :eek:

15. jim1884again

jim1884again advocating baldness be recognized as a disability

glad it resonates with you and it does with me, but did I write that?

16. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

For me miracles happen everyday,, I can't explain them, but they still happen!!
    Seeing is not believing, Believing is seeing!!

17. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Yep Jim, you wrote it... And I'm lovin' it!

18. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Thank you for asking, BYB. First of all, I do not have Meniere's. I joined the site because of my husband, who had his first attack in November 2008.

To make a long story short, we discovered a "cure" for Meniere's on this website. My husband started taking Acyclovir (an antiviral medication) in September 2009. More than a year later, he is virtually symptom-free and leads a normal life. I place "cure" in quotation marks because viruses never die…they are just suppressed. But I feel that he has treated the root cause of his condition.

Many people on this forum are responsible for my husband getting better, including June, Caribbean, John of Ohio and others. I do believe, however, that it is God who led us to meet these people, to find the information we needed and to connect all the dots. By God's grace, this all happened relatively quickly.

In Arabic, the word for gratitude is "shukr," while the opposite is "kufr." The interesting thing about the word "kufr" is that it also means "disbelief in God," or "rejection of God."

It is really important to thank people.

Prophet Muhammed once said, "He who doesn't thank people hasn't thanked God."

Every day, my kids thank me for cooking dinner. I feel happy when they thank me because they are acknowledging the effort I put into making their meals. But I always remind them to thank God first, because He is the One who makes it possible for us to buy and cook food. I would, in fact, feel sad if they only thanked me and forgot to thank God.

Thank you, June, Caribbean, John of Ohio and all those who have been generous with their time and information. Your contributions to this forum have helped bring our family back to normal.

19. June-

June- New Member

Thank you Jordan. It is very kind of you to remember those through whom help may have come to you. For one thing, in my case, it makes me think I was doing the right thing to talk about what helped me. Sometimes it's not that clear to me the better way to go.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Caribbean and others who first made me aware of the possibility that antivirals might help. Unfortunately I cannot remember the names of the others. I will take time to look them up but they were very important in my recovery. Had there been only one person speaking about success I might not have given much credence but when there were half a dozen apparently unrelated people using different but similar approach who had success it seemed worth talking to my doctor about.

I also want to thank those that posted about allergy treatment/shots. Were it not for their posts, I would not have been patient enough to get the benefits from that treatment that I have.

This forum is a bit of a miracle itself. Thanks, Ray.

20. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

[​IMG]