Discovering Body Logic study group

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by oaktree8, Jan 1, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. SpinininOhio

SpinininOhio New Member

One more item about the journey/story before we go on. Lee has said repeatedly that you can either pay others who cannot heal you as well as yourself or you can heal yourself (I think I got your message somewhat correct). I am a case study in that.

Because I was getting good results with NUCCA, I continued because I didn't want to chance going back into h*ll and because although I had a lot of great advice from Lee and Diane, I still didn't have all of the pieces/parts of Lee's program, the specifics, that I needed to fully understand and implement it. (slow learner)

I did not have the incredible NUCCA guy Henry Sullivan did who fixed everything in one session (I"m jealous). Mine was very good, but I had to go back repeatedly - at least once a month, many times every other week or every week. This cost me about $1600 per year for two years. Ouch! I would get really dizzy and very off balance and know that I was "out". But I didn't have the long term muscular health to sustain being "in" alignment.
    I have since spent about $1000 more for physical therapy to 'restore normal spinal/cervical biomechanics", prescribed by a really good otoneurologist. Now that my muscles are stronger and I maintain better posture (a long journey but worth it), when I go "out"*, which is infrequently, within a day, my stronger muscles and better posture bring my alignment back to where it should be.

The interesting thing is that this costly adventure leads right to where Lee is: listening to your body's clues, posture, posture, posture, exercises to improve muscular support (the PT prescribed exercises very similar to Lee's retractions) and after listening to what your body is telling you, then making adjustments that help it to heal and restore normal functioning.

Spinin

* 'going out" and making adjustments to bring this back into alignment is probably similar to Diane's previous statements that when she would feel dizzy or off balance, she would check and find a trigger point. I am sure it was trigger points/muscle issues that were and still are pulling me 'out'. I get out my Theracane (or my spouse when available) and work those out, plus do PT exercises and keep hyper alert to posture and within a day, I'm better.

2. ariapace

ariapace New Member

spinin,

this is so good to hear! hooray for your success!

3. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

OMG help me, I am in agony ::) ;D

OK finished reading DBL yesterday 8) Played around with some trigger points (I think my WHOLE body is one big bloody trigger point :D and I haven't even gotten to my lower extremities) and then decided to really take a good look at my posture......OK, I knew it had gotten bad, but little did I know :eek: I can't even get into a vertical posture line and as for trying to keep my ears over my shoulders etc....it hurts like crazy :eek: Gave me a really bad headache and the back and shoulder muscles.......well, lets just say I certainly know where to apply the therapy ::) and boy, does it feel good to press my ball on them....ahhhhhhhhhhh, lovely ::)

Something strange here......I took your advice Lee and have stopped using the tennis ball on the SCM and scalenes muslces but I noticed that even when I pressed gently on the left scalenes with my finger I would get this strange deep down dragging feeling in my upper arm about where the deltoid attaches to the humurous bone, about halfway down to the elbow....so...bright idea :D I applied the triggering to that area and bingo!!!!!!! I felt immediate relief in my shoulder and neck. It feels better today than I can remember it feeling in a looooooooooooong time, but now the other side is sore ::) ;D so have to work on that too.

Another thing ??? One of my issues with my posture is that I HAVE to look at the ground when I walk or I stumble and fall, even with my cane, plus looking forward is hard cause then the oscillopsia kicks in, so there is no way (at the present time) that I can maintain correct posture when walking...no way I can get my ear over my shoulder, over my hips etc. I am trying to while I am in the house, but even that is hard....what am I gonna do ??? ??? I am thinking that maybe I need to go back to using my big stick of aussie hardwood so I am more "upright" What do you think?

Oh yeah, love the dunny humour ;D :D

I have never had the issue of weeing frequently....great bladder capacity...LOL....that is, except after one of my diuretics...damn lasix :mad: really makes me pee constantly for about 3 hours after it kicks in. I actually have the opposite trouble....bad fluid retention.....got a really rare side effect after taking Maxide/Dyazide for 10 years...SIADH (Syndrome of Ineffective Anti Diuretic Hormone) It's why I have to take 2 bloody different diuretics now, otherwise I swell up like a balloon :mad: Any ideas on that one ???

OK, I am off now to do the "legs up" ::) haven't tried that yet as I have been having some trouble finding something that is knee height to rest the legs on...but my laundry hamper (a big square, solid cane basket) is just right....I just hope I can get back up off the floor once I have done it :D ;D

THIS IS BLOODY HARD, but I'm still going for it ;D

Maggie

4. pardonme

pardonme Guest

5. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Very well done on your success Spinin. I had lots of people PM me before the book came out asking, "What's your method as I desperately need help right now?" ...
    But my problem was, where to start? If I talked of the body's natural intelligence, most would run a mile. If I tried telling them about the hierarchy of suffering, I would almost hear them stifle yawns. If I mentioned one exercise, they'd think "Is that it ... big deal ... as if that would work!" Trouble was, people needed a framework of basic understanding to fit the ideas onto (which was why I decided to write it all down). Yet a few came along, like you, who persisted despite the gaps in knowledge. They looked to fill the gaps themselves. That is a wonderful trait. Mary, you deserve to feel very proud of yourself.

I just love your expressive posts Maggie. ;D Good to see you already problem solving with the link between the upper arm and neck. Sounds like you'll take to this like a duck to water - so long as you don't rush it. Remember that if your posture is out, straining for the correct line will create ADDED tension. So the key is to gently remove the limitations. Without a doubt, doing 'Legs up' will be one of the most important things for you to start with - although it may seem way too easy. But the thing is, while lying on the floor, you are in line. You are therefore letting gravity do all the work for you. If you can't do it first up, use towels to slowly get there (working with your body).

Good on you!! Just think, if you listed all the tasks/courses you have undertaken in your lifetime, none would be more important than this one. So it (YOU!) deserve the application and dedication. And meanwhile, your family and friends get to witness the power in personal problem solving. In my opinion, you can't teach children/grandchildren anything better, as ultimately everyone comes unstuck at some point. Like they say, real strength isn't in falling, it's in getting up again.

Lee.

6. Mnme

Mnme Guest

I keep forgetting to mention ... welcome back Deercharmer! Glad to see you enjoyed your holiday after such a rough start. By the way, for Christmas my family and I headed down south, which meant a 4 hour drive. As my husband was driving, I decided to use the time to catch up on some Trigger Pointing. I started with my feet and worked my way up to my head - barely noticing I was even doing it, chatting away. Half way there, we stopped for a cuppa and a stretch. When we arrived, I jumped out of the car as nimble as you like and watched as others arrived from their long car rides stiff as anything. Amazing what you can do even in a cramped space.

7. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Wish I seen your posts Lee and Dianne BEFORE I tried :mad: Talk about rushing it and getting the complete opposite effect :mad:

I was soooooooooooooooo looking forward to the "legs up" ::) but it sure didn't go as it was supposed to :mad: Made me as crook as Rookwood :'( :'( :'(

I got all set up, even "knew" that having my head that flat would make it virtually impossible for me so I had a little pillow to put under my head. Couldn't even get my big bloody bum :eek: close to the cane basket and the basket lid kept sliding, the edge was digging in behind my knees and I was NOT at all comfortable, but being so bloody determined, of course I kept trying until I got into the "position" (well at least close to it ::) ) and lasted a whole 2 minutes before I was sooooooooooooo crook (even though I don't spin anymore I get "attacks" of bad nausea, disequilibrium and the pressure and tinnitus goes through the roof) I had to take my valium and assume the "bed position" and of course sleep ::) I just woke up 2.5 hours later :mad: Will have to really eeeeeeeeeease into that one ;D

Dianne...what you said is certainly so true in my case, I have been adopting that "hard of hearing position" for sooooooooooooooooooooo many years now (like maybe all my life) ::) Your help in dealing with it makes enormous sense and I will be doing just that, though the head movement in the opposite direction and back is hard on me, but little bits at a time eh. Thank you so much :-*

Lee...I have learned, believe me :( NO RUSHING from now on, I promise, I will listen to my bod......but I soooooooooooo wanted to do "legs up" :D I will have to problem solve how to do a modified version but not today ;) cause I still feel crappy and I have to get down the street (and shank's pony is my only transport ;D) cause there is no food for my furbabies (or me) :eek: and they will not love me tonight if I give them dry food again (and my ears will not like the noise they can make) :D

Once again, thank you for all your help :-*

Maggie

8. ariapace

ariapace New Member

maggie,
    sorry you had such a tough reaction to "legs up." the first time i did it i also got a little dizzy, but nowhere near what happened to you. however, that was the only time that happened for me. since then i've really enjoyed doing it and can feel my body settling into alignment. i think you're right, you'll have to ease into it and maybe modify it.

this is what we're all learning--to listen to our bodies, and not be misled by our minds. "It's about self-checking our choices with our body and not just our mind." (chapter 2, p. 36)

9. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Hi all

This isn't about chapter 2, I just wanted to tell you all I saw a connection today--did I mention before that my low back has been bothering me lately? I tried the legs up position yesterday (thanks Diane), and it definitely helped. Then today I added the tennis ball and spent more time rolling around on it, especially backs of my legs and buttocks, and when I got up my back felt much, much better. So cool!

Last night when I did the legs up exercise I tried to find my psoas and work on it, because the TP massage therapist I went to said it was very tight and I thought it might have something to do with the back--I don't know if I found it, but then today my colitis flared up something awful.

I'm wondering could it be related? Could the back pain, and the colitis flare, and the weird ear sounds I was hearing yesterday (not so much today) all be related to working on the trigger points? I don't know what I'm doing, I just press here and there, where it feels right.

Could I be doing too much? It feels great, I don't want to stop, but I'm having physical symptoms, emotional symptoms too, and I can't tell what's causing what (well what's new?). Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts--

Nina

10. ariapace

ariapace New Member

nina,
    i don't think you can get to the psoas properly from the legs up position. you have to lie on your back with your legs on the floor, bring your knees up and move the knees (legs) over to one side. that gets the intestines out of the way so you can find the psoas. Davies shows how to do this in The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook. Do you have that book?

11. milo

milo New Member

Ok so I'd like to jump in. I have read the book and will re-read it soon.

Here's my situation. I have no tinitus, never did. I have been largely vertigo free for last 18 months. Gave up caffeine last May and have had very few minor spins since. I have hearing loss and fullness in rt ear. I have minor balance issues and every few months I get a minor (short) spin or a few days of unsteadiness and slightly fuller ear.

My goal is to improve my hearing and get rid of these episodes of minor dizziness.

My challenge is that I don't know where to start. I have really worked on posture my shoulders slump and my head tips forward. Thats easy to correct. I have looked for trigger points. I can't find them. I am 44 and in decent shape. I have one major issue though. about 6 years ago I fell backwards on the ice while skating. I landed flat on my back and rather than let my head hit the ice I put the brakes on HARD. I had a "mild whiplash injury". It has flared up many times over the past 6 years. If I look up and to the left I can FEEL the injury. I believe that this injury had something to do with my MM. BTW I have had lots of nucca work done too.

Any pointers? I think I should seek a professional TP person. What do you all think?

12. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Hi, Milo!

When my Pain Management doc told me he wanted me to work on my trigger points, I told him I didn't have any. Then he pressed on one. Yeeeeowch!!!

What I found is that with my bare hands, I couldn't find any "knots" or "lumps" or otherwise tight muscles...but when I got my TheraCane, I just started using it anyway...doing sort of a searching technique that I believe Lee discusses in her book. (Read it when I got it, have to go back and re-read it.... ::)) I just use the cane to touch each of the muscle groups in my back and neck. Occasionally I hit the target!

By all means, if you find a trigger point therapist, go! I am trying to find one now....I don't want someone who just does rolfing and makes me cry.

This morning, my acupuncture doc told me that the muscle spasms in my lower back also had origins in my neck area, even though I feel those muscles are about as relaxed as they've ever been. But for the sake of the cause, I'll go ahead and add them to my daily search.

13. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Thanks ariapace--I have the book, I'll look it up

14. Titus

Titus New Member

I'm here and wondering why on earth I took on this extra administrative work? I understand all the concepts and have studied everything that will help my body heal, BUT I still have this HUGE thing called workaholism haunting me day and night. If I had back all the money I've spent on counselors, psychiatrists, and even two trips to the funny farm for inpatient treatment, I'd be able to supply the world with theracanes :D I'm totally convinced that the ROOT of all of my problems lies in this perfectionism/workaholic/driven "personality". When I was first dx with bi-polar (1999) it resulted from my working full time, pursuing my doctorate, publishing a book, taking care of my dying parents, and "caring" for an ex-boyfriend who really needed a mother, not a wife. The stress set off a chain of reactions that led to a severe depression and I basically became catatonic. After my "recovery" I vowed to not get caught up in that rat race ever again. Well, I'm in it once again. I won't go into the details but I'm trying very hard to release some of these obligations, say no, step back, etc.

My body is screaming for me to stop and listen, feel, observe. So I am trying very hard to do so.

I have a massage appointment tomorrow. I plan on biting the bullet and getting two massages per week for this whole semester. Trigger point work every day and no more carrying 20 pounds of books across campus and up two flights of stairs. I'm listening and the message is very clear.

15. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Here's my interpretation Milo. If you have recurrent whiplash symptoms, there will be TP's there somewhere. I totally agree with Deercharmer that we can think we don't have them, when in fact we do. Also quite a few people have rigid layers of tension OVER their trigger points - most think it's nice strong muscle. These people often don't feel the TP's the first time round, but sure do when that protective layer relaxes (often the second time).

I'm puzzled that you found a forward head posture and slumped shoulders easy to correct (with no TP's).
    When standing with correct postural line ... are you relaxed and tall, or are you actively pulling back into it?
    Maybe you are pulling yourself into correct positioning rather than your body defaulting there naturally once the tension's gone. Correcting long standing postural problems takes quite a bit of work. Also, you can be fit and healthy, yet if there is an imbalance, you will tip over (elite athletes can have this problem, restricting their potential).

As far as you creating the whiplash years back when you fell backwards, and the fact that you feel the problem when you tip your head up and to the left, makes me think your trouble may be in your scalenes (and very likely upper chest/shoulders/upper arms). Is the area where your neck meets your shoulders tight? How do the muscles on the side of the neck feel? Are they the same on both sides? Have you tried all the postural identification tasks for telltale clues?

As far as getting a professional TP therapist, that's totally up to you (and your financial situation). It sure doesn't hurt if rather than rely on them, you learn from them. But in my experience, people who work out their own tensions and learn how to respond to them are FAR more effective (amazingly so in fact!). It then becomes a life-long skill. Also if possible, find someone who is a keen problem solver using your body rather than their charts/theory (however be warned that they are as rare as hen's teeth).

Hope some of that helps a little.

Titus, your post came in just as I'm hitting 'send'. Good to see you ... will read it now.

Lee.

16. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Kim, why not pop in each day and list a few things you did right - and something small to work on the next day. Use this more as a diary and in return, we (as a group) can try to help you feel like all your efforts are valued. You said to Dye a while back that you like to feel accountable. And if you're an overachiever, maybe we need to set you homework! ;D

17. kass

kass New Member

Maggie,

Your laundry basket sounds a bummer - so a little creative thinking needs to happen. I use the end of my bed which is basically a base and mattress on castors, if yours is not, what about the guest room ? sofa, chair, bench, verandah edge. My friends are quite used to me dropping into their office for a meeting, with me doing some legs-up work at the same time. When I am on the road traveling in Kimberley, I use my tucker-box with a couple of pillows on top.

I too felt dizzy in my first few attempts - but once you start 'feeling' your tension - your body will take you by the hand and lead you to where it wants relief - just keep your head out of your ear-hole for the moment.

Also, do you have access to a swimming pool ? If so, think about getting yourself a $2.00 pool-noodle and perhaps doing some very gentle muscle building water exercises - the local kids will show you how to noodle :)

Good luck.

18. pardonme

pardonme Guest

19. kass

kass New Member

Kim,

Your story is indeed heart wrenching and hugely courageous of you to share in a public forum and I truly hope that this thread will afford you a respectful safe and healing environment to continue your journey back to wellness, which is your natural birthright.

Your trust in us as a group of global strangers, is nothing short of a very humbling privilege and hopefully with this type of ethos in place, it will be the very DBL glue that binds us together in mutual support, trust and respect with a total absence of things 'ego' as natural wellness, is our mutual goal.

I am a firm believer that once we have named-up our baggage and laid it all out on the table before us, there is nothing left to smolder deep within our souls, then true healing can begin

Kim you 'named-up' a few of my own 'unhealthy' traits - namely the guilt around saying YES when I really needed to say NO... which ultimately always leads to resentment and doubling the burden of the duty before me.

I can now see this type of behavior as just another form of addiction or vice, so its now on my hit list also - so I guess I too, need to sign myself up for Dye's 'NO' master-class !

With my deep respect dear Kim, Kathy

20. milo

milo New Member

Lee, Thanks so much for your reply. I feel like Im getting a personal lesson from the master. (which I guess I am)

Yes I'm pulling back into it. As for my back I sometimes think to myself "stand tall" and I automatically straighten out. It's a good feeling. I am consciously pulling my shoulders back as well as my head. So how do I go there by default?......... OK just read back and you said "once the tension's gone". Is that my first task? Get rid of tp's?

When I look up and left I feel this area on my right and it's at the junction of the neck and shoulder and it feels "injured". It's an area that has always, even before the whiplash, felt that way. In the long past I used to get a tight feeling there, probably from carrying backpacks to school. Straight out of your book huh.

I hear what you say about solving my own problem but I think I need some help in identifying first and then applying the correct treatment.