Discovering Body Logic study group

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by oaktree8, Jan 1, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. SpinininOhio

SpinininOhio New Member

Wise, as always, Diane.

I included My story for two reasons:
    1. Because that was the basic intent of this thread reviewing the first chapter

2. but mainly so people new to DBL can see how powerful these techniques can be. (My techniques were a little different - I used NUCCA and deep tissue massage. But the basic intent was the same - 'restoring normal spinal/cervical biomechanics'. I used Lee's diet and supplement and emotional and history of symptom techniques. If I had it to do over now that I have Lee's whole system in her book, I would use it instead.)

But if you look at the timeline, it took over three months to get to no spins. It took longer to relieve some of the other symptoms. In fact, I still have low level tinnitus, hyperacusis and hearing loss, but they are very managable and would be even less if I were in compliance.

And, yes, I had a lot of setbacks at first and didn't comply 100% all of the time also. So anyone new trying this, strive for 100%, but don't give up at the bumps. The first time the NUCCA chiro adjusted me, I went into a major spin. But Diane pointed out that that meant that he had found a key. If it weren't, there would have been no change. Sometimes, "setbacks" are good; they show us where we have work to do. Don't give up. Sometimes I see people go to NUCCA or increase symptoms with body work and they immediately give up.

Natural and alternative techniques in which the body heals naturally take time, the body takes time to heal.

Spinin

2. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Some great comments here. Thanks everyone.

Chapter 1 is about our level of frustration and fear associated with our suffering.
    In my case, I had no choice but to search for my own answers as I could no longer 'live with it'. I had to get busy living - problem was, how? Ironically, the only reason I found my way to full health (including full hearing) was because I had no choice but to rely on myself.

But now my biggest frustration is that I KNOW these ideas work - and work for everyone, as the starting point is exactly where-ever that person happens to be. The simple key is to accept the REALITY of your situation. For example, I meet so many people who believe they are not stressed ... and yet when I press certain muscles, it turns out that they ARE! Accepting the body's reality makes all the difference.

Only yesterday I met a lady whose shoulder/arm pain was getting worse by the day. She had finished the rounds of docs/physios etc. with no success/answers. Yet instead of turning to theory to identify her problem, I showed her how to let her own body SHOW her. And there were the clues, as plain as you like. The theory had been wrong - yet her body was 100% right.

I am simply stunned at how we have 'forgotten' to use our own body's clues. Yet they are free - and available any time of any day.

Here's a challenge for those who have read the book. Look down the list of questions that regularly come up on the forum and see if you can now answer them. If you can't, perhaps share the question here and we'll talk about it. I only published this book when I believed I could answer ALL the common questions. That's why the forum was so important - not because it gave me solutions, but because it provided questions to explore.

Lee

3. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Well, all good things must come to an end, and now we're back from the beach :'(

We had a fabulous time, and I am SOOO glad I took my TheraCane with me!

The first night there was awful...I had been sitting in the car for five and a half hours with only one break, I had lugged in heavy suitcases from the car to our room, and the bed was as hard as a rock. My back hurt so badly I was in tears. Not even the trusty TheraCane could help. So I backslid and took half a Vicodin, and swore that I'd start in with my exercises the next day.

When I got up, I still had some intermittent back pain, but manageable this time. I went through my routine every night with the TheraCane, searching for TPs. I didn't do too much walking the first few days, and I was more careful of my posture where ever we went. By mid-week, though, I was keeping up with DH, and one day we walked about five miles up and down one of the beaches. We even scrambled up some rocks for a better view!

We got home a few hours ago, and I really don't feel like I sat all that long today. Maybe those trigger points took a vacation, too!!! :D

4. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Hi everyone

I'm finally getting around to responding to chapter 1, My Story.

First, a note to Lee: I was so moved when I read your story, because I hadn't known how much you suffered before, and so I couldn't appreciate how far you've come and how remarkable your journey has been. I am so impressed with how you managed to do research when you were feeling so bad!

My story is very similar--I also began teaching in my late thirties, I also had many physical complaints that I ignored and pushed through, and I too kept pushing as they kept getting worse until I got Meniere's, which also brought me to a screeching stop. And I also lost the hearing in my left ear at the beginning and felt desperate to keep what hearing I had left in my other ear.

I've been thinking a lot since reading this chapter about how I came to accept my ill health. Like the story of the frog in the pot of hot water, I kept accommodating as things got worse. Even with the Meniere's--if I can drive and do my own shopping, if I can watch tv and read a little, I'm basically okay with it. It's when the balance or hearing gets bad that I'm energized to do more research, more investigation, more work on it. Looking back I find it amazing what I came to tolerate, and what I still do.

I'm also seeing how attached I am to the idea that someone else can fix me. The 3 years since I stopped work I've spent all my savings seeing acupuncturists, chiropractors, qi gong healers, homeopathists, anyone who told me they could fix me. Of course they didn't, and it's taken me all this time to realize that no one else can fix me but me.

So I'm excited about doing this work and glad you're all here.

5. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Lee,

I just read your new post and I'm a bit confused, can you clarify--what list of questions that come up on the forum?

thanks

6. ariapace

ariapace New Member

i get stuck on the word "unreasonable." somehow it doesn't ring true to me. it's just semantics maybe. i think that whatever is happening is just what is, and it can't be unreasonable, even if it's a lot of suffering. i haven't come up with a better word though. in any case, it was lee's situation and motivation.

in my own case, i definitely came to realize that no western doctor was going to help me except with more drugs and eventually surgery, and i didn't want to go that route. the drugs didn't feel good, and the surgeries are too iffy. i always tend to go the natural route, however i am trying to get over my prejudice against drugs--i think that drugs do have their place in the realm of healing. a small amount of valium works for me if i have a bad vertigo attack, and i still carry some with me in my pocket wherever i go. it's my security blanket, because i know it will allow me to function at work if i don't have the time to lie down. i rarely have to use it any more, but it puts my mind at ease knowing that i could. sometimes just getting rid of the symptoms can be good, as long as you're not deluding yourself that it's a cure, or getting addicted, or enduring horrible side effects.

by the way, lying down with my "dog bone" neck support pillow (or a towel rolled up) almost always gets rid of any incipient dizziness or migraine coming on--which makes me think that posture and muscle tension is a big part of this, as lee is saying. what am i doing lying down with neck support except getting my head, neck, shoulders, and body aligned right and relaxing my muscles?

i tried upper cervical adjustments (not nucca--there's no one near where i live), and after spending thousands of dollars, it wasn't clear that they were helping significantly. i tried this and that alternative treatment. the thing that's helped me the most are lee's suggestions about trigger points and posture, and dietary changes (rick's and charleston's posts were most helpful). i like that you can do them yourself, and i like that i'm getting more in touch with my body and responding to it more quickly.

7. pardonme

pardonme Guest

8. Goomeri Spinner

Goomeri Spinner New Member

Due to the very wonderful generosity of a fellow MM sufferer, I now have "the book" :-*

I am taking to heart what this person told me and am reading it from cover to cover before jumping into this group (I have always been a very fast reader, not so much now due to my vision issues, but am nearly finished it ::) Have found it hard to actually put down)

I must say however, I now know what "legs up" is :D :D and it ain't nuthin like I "imagined" :D

Lee, I really understand the "confronting sensation to fear the length of my life." I was that way a few years ago at the ripe old age of only 53 when the doc told me I would end up in a nursing home very soon if I continued to deteriorate. I sincerely hoped that something "terminal" would come along and end it all for me :eek: Instead, I just learned to live with it (that phrase had been said to me so many times over the years and I had said the same thing to many of my patients that lived with a chronic illness) I just gave myself a kick up the arse and got on with living as best as I could.

I accept the reality of my situation. I have always been a realist (comes with the nursing me thinks) I am in end stage bilateral MM/AIED and have lost both balance systems and most of my hearing, plus quite a few other conditions ::) but I believe that my quality of life can be better than it is and only I can do that. I believe that Lee's DBL is the way (and also hopefully retain what hearing I have left).

I will be finished reading DBL before the second chapter starts on Monday but now I must listen to my body clues and get to bed as its nearly midnight here and I am bloody tired. Well, maybe a few games of Mahjong first ::) ;D

Maggie

ps I hope you had a good time in your few days away

9. byron

byron New Member

I just had my Atlas adjusted on Friday..... I was 1/8" out - today and yesterday have been not so good (might be the body adjusting). It's times like these that I feel weak willed and want to give in. I rationalize it in my mind that if I'm dizzy anyway I might as well have the pizza. I realize I'm seeking comfort. I read some posts in this thread and they brought me back. Thank you. My big problem is that I want results NOW! Patience for me is not an asset. This lack of patience builds tension and exasorbates my condition. I think I need to go work some trigger points.

Cheers,

B

10. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

I hear you Byron! I hope the trigger points help.

For everyone: I'm having strange noises in my right ear (the good ear) and I'm getting anxious about them. Did anyone else have strange noises or symptoms after they started working their trigger points?

thanks

11. Titus

Titus New Member

I did. My ears felt and sounded like wind was blowing through them. First one, then the other, sometimes both. I've also triggered a minor vertigo attack doing trigger points. It was just proof that I was on the right track.

12. byron

byron New Member

I too hear weird things and feel weird things in my good ear. They are a bit different from my MM ear. I'm hoping it's part of the healing process..... but I don't know????

When I read Lee's story I couldn't help but notice the parallels with mine: the similarities were striking. I would guess that this is the same with many of us. I now see why awareness is the key. I have always struggled with frequent urination, but shrugged it off as just having a small bladder. But, clearly, my body has been trying to flush out a toxin...... gluten perhaps???? Now this may not be the answer, but maybe it is. The key thing here is that I'm now aware. I'm asking the question, "Why do I pee so much?"

Props to Lee for having the courage and gumption to put it out there. I must admit that I do not like doing Body Logic: it's hard, and I'm a creature of habit. But since I started three weeks ago my wife has notice a change in my posture, which to me is very positive. I hope and pray that with time Body Logic will become a routine part of the life and provide relief from this brutal disease, and allow me to live a full, natural life: that is really all I want - to be free to rise or free to fall of my own accord. I know I have a mountain to climb. I find this discussion helpful and inspiring.

Cheers,

B

13. pardonme

pardonme Guest

14. kass

kass New Member

Here's my two bobs worth...

When we are struggling with a new concept there is a certain level of mental and physical nervousness hanging around.

Our body's are still on high alert to possible mn attacks, because we have been conditioned to believe that only Drs and pills can help us yet we are still, deep down, doubting that we can get there ourselves. There is also other underlying issues running - vis earning a living to support ourselves and those dependent on us etc etc. Big bickies in anyones book.

When I am nervous, I pee frequently in short restricted bursts.

As my confidence increased and I felt in control of my own healing journey, a fair amount of my nervousness dissipated and hence my frequent peeing bouts returned to normal.

Remember like Pardonme, I am also fairly advanced on my DBL journey - but the one thing I have noticed, is that after a good t/p massage session, the following morning I have a ripppper of a waking-up first pee, which seems to go on forever and I can actually HEAR the glorious twinkling sounds that serenades this great event - its also a clue that your body is happy and not on high alert.

Hey, don't be bashful if you also have a query on these matters - you are now amongst 3 Aussies and we love our dunny-humor, don't we Lee, Maggie ?

15. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Thanks everyone I feel greatly reassured!

I'll keep plugging away and try to notice if any of those points trigger different sounds in the ears--

N

16. pardonme

pardonme Guest

17. ariapace

ariapace New Member

i suggest getting a book stand and stacking it on some books or something else so it's at eye level. that way you can maintain an easy, relaxed, upright posture while reading. you don't have to use your arms to hold the book. this has made a huge difference for me.

i have 2 book stands:

the "Easi-Reader"
    http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-The-Easi-Reader-Bookstand/dp/B00014VVWG/ref=pd_sim_hpc_title_4

and the "Followes Book Lift"
    http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Book-Lift-Copyholder-Textbooks/dp/B00004Z5QI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200317321&sr=8-1

i like both of them. the Easi-Reader is an ingenious, simple design, and you can carry it anywhere. it's takes some practice getting used to how it works, but it really works well.

the Fellowes is a different design, which i find useful for different kinds of books as well as magazines. i like having both book stands, and i would buy the Easi-Reader again. however, instead of the Fellowes, based on some reviews i just read on amazon, i would consider these:

the Book Butler
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012K0V6/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

or the Roberts Book Holder
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G38666/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

18. Mnme

Mnme Guest

To be quite honest, I now find it hard to believe too Nina! Bit like childbirth where over time you tend to block the pain out. It's funny but my husband remembers those days more clearly than I do now. I just felt driven from that single turning point. Like when you are down and out in a game of sport and something happens to lift you far above what you ever thought possible. The game seems to slow down and there's just you, the ball and your goal.

Or like Byron put it, I finally found my mountain to climb.
    (Love that phrase Byron)

Yes, I now agree with you that "unreasonable" isn't right at all Ted. Whatever is happening is what it is. I tried to sum up a complex shift in thinking far too simplistically.

Yes, there are some amazingly generous people on this forum. Maggie, just today I received a very special gift from someone on this forum. I will cherish it forever.

I did have a good few days away. Thanks for asking. :)

Very good point Dye. Health clues come in all sorts of shapes and forms.

??? Doesn't everyone? :D

19. Mnme

Mnme Guest

CHAPTER 2: WHAT'S BEEN MISSING ALL ALONG

There are some very challenging concepts in this chapter. Rather than sum it up, I'll just open this up for general discussion.

Responding to your body's logic is not a structured process. Whatever is important to you at a given moment is the thing to focus on. So please don't feel restricted by this chapter by chapter focus.