Discovering Body Logic study group

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by oaktree8, Jan 1, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

That's great news Tamara! So glad you are feeling some relief already!

Diane - yes, this traveling is crazy but I'm hopeful it is going to be less soon, I think they are about ready to let me come once a week, that will really be helpful to me.

2. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Thanks Tamara!
    It's so strange when I'm first introduced to people who have read DBL. I'd treat them like anyone I'd just met (a little reserved) yet they'd talk like they knew me. They'd often ask "How's Diane doing?" or "How's your dog Billy?" It's so interesting to break down the barriers of normal introductory conversation like that. I was never one to be big on small talk, so I find this wonderful. And it makes them so much more open to discussing things in their own lives. One of the surprising benefits of writing this.

I'll really look forward to a good discussion on lifestyle changes and to hear more about your concept that 'feelings flow into places'.

Lee

3. tamarak

tamarak New Member

...pushed too hard last week, it was year end, month end, payroll, new furniture delivery and set up, a buying trip and our annual party at the business. Now, I am listening to my body which has taken on a cold to let me know that I need to rest.

If only I could somehow manage to slow it down before I get sick(er)--but next year the party will have to have a totally different date...on a good note, usually I take the brunt of the party preparations,

ps. I am beginning to think of this drivenness as an addiction no less serious than a drug addiction--you know? I actually like the feeling of doing so many things, I'm like that Dr. Seuss image of the Cat in Hat as he bounces on a ball, and balances a cake, and a rake and a cup and fish etc. etc. and he is having so much fun...until he falls. And then, my face is that same mixture of shock and dismay--I really didn't see it coming--which is hilarious because it is a logical outcome of the maniacal, brain driven body ignoring behaviour. Who is it that says that insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result?

4. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

I feel the same way you are talking about tamarak - I still haven't started doing the posture exercises - did legs up only one day last week. Why? Because most days I am too busy! I even backed off the TP therapy yesterday and today and I KNOW I MUST get back to where I was when I first got my DBL book and was feeling so ill - gotta get back to the exercises and working the TP's! I'm thankful to feel so much better but I know there will be a payday again if I don't slow it down and take time to listen to my body!

5. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

This week we cover Chapter 13 Learning How To 'Do It Easy' Kim's Story...open for discussion.

6. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

Sorry I didn't get back here to discuss last week's chapter, I've been really busy. Learning HOW TO DO IT EASY is a very important chapter and I've been trying to make some of the changes discussed in that chapter ever since I read the book the first time.
    I keep having trigger points up under my shoulder blade on the right side and I told my chiropractor about it last week and he gave me some massage and showed me an exercise to do while I'm using the computer for long periods since I told him I think it is caused from spending more time at the computer now that I feel better.
    I am much more aware of my body and how I use it now than I ever have been.

I hope everyone from this group is doing well and busy like myself. I also hope some of you will post on your progress soon.

7. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

This week we cover Chapter 14 'A Logical View Of Diet'...open for discussion.

8. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Lately I have been giving talks about DBL: easy enough when I have an hour or so, but very challenging when I only have around ten minutes. This has forced me to bring the concepts down to their simplest form, which I thought I'd share here.

I now see that natural healing is by far and away the most powerful form. This is not about relying on Docs who have already told us they can't 'heal' us as they don't know what causes Menieres ... nor is it even about going through a whole host of alternative therapies that society has somehow come to perceive as 'natural' (although we can use these to help us along the way). Healing in its purest form comes from the individual. And it is free.

I now see something in Albert Einstein's quote (start of this thread/DBL) that I missed before:
    "Intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind a servant. We have created a society that honours the servant but has forgotten the gift."
    This is very true in terms of the way we have forgotten to value the intuitive mind, but is dated in its implication that we make good use of the rational mind. Since then, knowledge has become increasingly complex/fragmented/specialized. Anything outside of our area of expertise is too often left to someone else. That makes problem solving using ALL areas of knowledge extremely difficult, including health problems.

Take one simple example...
    Chiropractic, like many other Disciplines in health care, is now perceived as a sound practise that requires a challenging, lengthy course of study. Yet it all began by one guy by the name of Palmer 'flicking' areas around the spine of a janitor in his building. The heart of chiropractic care is simply the health of our spine ... something we can ALL aim for when we remove the complexity. And the same goes for any healthcare discipline.

This is what Body Logic aims to return to the individual:
    1. We once again honour our instinctual intelligence by listening to our own body's clues.
    2. We are able to pull complex theories/disciplines of health back to their purest level so we can integrate and use the ideas for ourselves.
    In other words, we use our instinctual and rational mind to full potential - the most powerful form of healing.

I believe that when people are diagnosed with any chronic condition, they should be shown how much they CAN do.

9. tamarak

tamarak New Member

Yes Lee. That's what I got from the book. Initially, my attempts to cure my mm were all about going to TCM and taking acupuncture and many many teas of boiled herbs. I was disappointed when this approach didn't "work" as well as I'd hoped it would. Then I focused on taking niacin supplements etc. many vitamins, etc. My vitamin regimen would change around, but relied upon bottles upon bottles of supplements. I am still taking some supplements, but now after reading yyour book my thinking about them has changed. I am no longer looking for the miracle "magic bullet" to "fix" me. After reading your book, I am even more aware of the multiplicity of factors which I need to consider (how is my posture? How is that trigger point doing? Am I pushing myself like a machine? How am I talking to myself? Am I eating regularly? Am I eating the right food to fuel my body properly? Am I walking? Am I getting sunshine and fresh air? Am I laughing?).

The reason that you haven't been hearing much from me lately is that I am doing a wonderful recovery. I still say that it is like a recovering drug addict ie. much change so many aspects of previous life that the world begins to look very different. And one of the things that I want to limit is my time in front of the computer. Sometimes I feel that I am a bit selfish about not spreading the word about this. It's not that I want to keep it a secret, not by any means...but I am personally too impatient to continue to post. I have no patience at all with the "if you cured yourself, it wasn't Menieres" argument. I am so happy that you wrote the book. I am trying to think about how to bring it to more people's attention. On the other hand, I do need to trust that people who are ready to find it, will find it. When the student is ready the teacher will appear.

A very heartfelt thanks, Lee. The book is wonderful. I hope that many people read it. It has many of the missing pieces of the puzzle. You call it logic, you call it rational--yes, that's right. But, in the crazy Alice in Wonderland world of bogus "science" funded by industry etc. it is a kind of logic which one is no longer able to arrive at naturally--without a bit of a clear directive. That is what you provide in Discovering Body Logic.

Good health is such a blessing. Thank you for helping to return it to me.

Tamara

10. Mnme

Mnme Guest

I am so pleased you got that Tamara. I suspected you would.

You have no idea how good it is to read your words. Thank you.
    Most of all, I wanted this to be a framework to show how it all fits together. I have tested this approach against as many ideas on this forum as possible for 6 years now. If something didn't fit, I knew I was missing something, so would keep searching/refining. These are the best answers we have, but that may be hard to hear for some as they are not quick fixes. But we deserve to have fully informed choice.

Yes, you are right to move away from the computer. Just like Titus was right not to take on this thread at the beginning. Putting ourselves first can be such a hard thing to do. It seems somehow selfish at first, but in reality it's the most honourable thing we can do.

My best wishes to you Tamara.

Lee

11. pardonme

pardonme Guest

12. shersue

shersue New Member

I love reading all the tid-bits of information about MSG...I found out several years ago that I was MSG intolerate. AFter eating chinese take out I would have heart flutters and ringing ears. The family doctor confirmed that it was possibly MSG. Now I have full blown Menieres. What happened? Our food sources are killing us. I eat out less and less each week. SOme inprovement. Mag? I will look into that one.

13. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Hi everyone

I haven't been here for a while (a long while)--I was feeling better and then I got busy, and what do you know, then I started feeling worse. So now I'm trying to get focused again, back into the DBL self care routine, and reading this thread makes a big difference, it inspires me and gives me support to keep doing the work.

So it was nice to see a new post!

14. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Thanks mate!

Welcome Shersue! If you search Pardonme's posts, you'll find some great insights into trouble with MSG. Food we can't cope with has a huge impact on how well we feel.

Oh do I know what you mean Oaktree! Everytime I resolved my symptoms in the past I would feel invincible and slowly but surely fall back into my old habits. And eventually, back would come the symptoms. But after a while I started to see the pattern and pick up on the very first clue and react to that. Usually it was bloating or faint tinnitus. I have plenty of bad habits still, but I now NEVER ignore those very first warning signs. I clearly remember how devastating it was to have severe vertigo, tinnitus, ear pressure and the ever present fear of deafness. I never want to go back there and clearly know it's up to me. And it feels so WONDERFUL to be well.
    Sending you positive thoughts and best wishes Oaktree.

Lee.

15. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Thanks mnme, that's encouraging and comforting to hear.

Does anyone else find that sleep makes a big difference? Or when you go to sleep? I have a bad habit of going to be too late, usually between 11 and 11:30, but the other night I got to bed before 10:30, and I felt so much better the following day than I usually do. Last night it was back to 11:30 again--why is it so hard to change these old unhealthy habits?

16. pardonme

pardonme Guest

17. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Hi Pardonme,

Wow, I'd never thought of it that way, that maybe I'm trying to change something that doesn't need to be changed. And I'd assumed that you were in bed by 9 pm every night, you seem so disciplined with your self care!

It's a revolutionary idea for me, that maybe my routine doesn't need to be changed--that maybe I'm trying to force myself to do something that doesn't fit for me--because I've been struggling with this issue for years, years. I beat myself up about it all the time, because it's the one area where I feel I'm not taking care of myself. So maybe if I let it go, things would free up?

I'd love to hear how other people handle this issue--

18. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Oaktree, I'm a night owl too, but I also know I need 8 hours sleep to function well. What works for me is to make sure I'm in bed 8 hours before I need to be up. This provides me with the flexibility to still have some late nights. Like Dye said, hammering a round peg into a square hole just doesn't make sense.

My tough lesson...
    I have met people who have read DBL and can see the potential in it but find it difficult to self-apply (usually because they are too busy). This is very frustrating as when I show them in person, they generally say "But it's so simple!" The book takes on a new level of meaning. It reminds me of those visual mazes where you can only see the picture if you stare in a certain way/long enough. Once you get it you wonder how you never saw it before.

Each person brings into the bigger picture their own health clues and personality. Interestingly, once people work out their problem they can often see someone else's at a glance ... just like when you work out how to see one of those picture puzzles you can often see them all. This can be very frustrating. :-X

I would put money on it that if a group of meniere's sufferers were to try every therapy known, DBL would outperform the others by a country mile. It integrates instincts, 'missing' knowledge and logic ... applied by the individual anywhere, anytime ... so why wouldn't it? Nothing else does that. Please if you are looking for answers, know that the best ones are ultimately FREE. Maybe you are staring too hard at that picture so that you can only see parts, not the whole.

Lee.

19. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

First of all - I feel much better if I am well rested, I've been noticing that on nights I sleep well I feel almost 'normal' upon waking except for the hearing loss and very slight fullness but after a couple of hours of being awake and moving through the day I begin to have more fullness which is my main complaint these days and by night it can really be bad if I've had a trying day so for sure my symptoms are better when I'm rested.

Secondly - I think my problem with 'getting it' with DBL is exactly as you say Lee - like those picture puzzles you mention, I am horrible at figuring them out and I'm still not satisfied that I have 'gotten it' with DBL. I know that some of the things I've done/am doing have worked but I do feel very frustrated that I am not getting faster results, especially with trigger pointing. I can tell when I do it it helps but I want it to help more and in that I think there's something I'm missing.

20. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Keep it simple. The key is to release tension. Not just a little but COMPLETE release. As a menieres sufferer, your main area of tension is likely in your neck/jaw.

In my case, my neck tension was largely coming from a locked right shoulder. My neck wouldn't release until my shoulder did. But it was up to me to work this out, despite the fact that I had been to docs/masseurs/physios/chiros (including NUCCA). They were all partially right, but not one was completely right. So I would often get a reaction from visiting them (a little better or even worse ... confirming I was on the right track) but I eventually discovered that to release all tension, it was up to ME. After a while, I noticed that one shoulder didn't move as freely as the other ... such a simple clue that so many had missed. The neck muscles are actually an extension of the shoulder so they were under constant tension. Your challenge is to find out your key problematic area.

Feel down the side of your neck onto your shoulder. Is it relaxed? Is it in line or feel 'tight' at the base of your neck? Does your neck protrude at the front more than it used to? Lie down and have someone hold a mirror above you ... is your neck straight? (NUCCA can confirm the degree of tilt through Xray). If you have a partner, see how their neck feels. Does it feel as tight as yours? Every Menieres sufferer I have met had tension in the neck/jaw/shoulders. Most thought this was a RESULT of Menieres, but the interesting thing was, when the tension resolved so did the symptoms. They were told the problem was in their inner ear ... if so, why did this help them? They were stunned to find that their doctors had been so wrong.
    Treat the treatable and let the body heal.

Hope this helps a little SweetTater. Would make it so much easier if I could just show you ... :-\

Lee.