Discovering Body Logic study group

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by oaktree8, Jan 1, 2008.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dmac

dmac my sweet Holly

I don't know what ya'll know, but I think it's the imbalance that causes my posture problems and not the other way around. The imbalance causes my brain to send signals to my spine to contract and hunch forward and push my neck forward. It takes huge effort to straighten up resulting in significant back strain. I don't think the bad posture came first. I can look at photos of myself BEFORE MM and see that I was standing straighter.

Just my opine.

2. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

I'm here. Sorry I've been absent but I am going to the chiropractor 3 days a week - it's a 160 mile round trip so it takes most of my day and I haven't time for much internet right now.
    Anyway it is my opinion for Julie & oaktree that it's not as important for you to trace the bad posture habits as it is to be aware of them and work on correcting them - I'm a newbie to this too so that's just my opinion. Maybe one of the DBL people who are further along will come soon and help us out on this one.

oaktree - it wasn't me that mentioned the chin out thing but I'm glad you figured it out and can work on correcting it.

ariapace - I think it would be o.k. just to list the points that are important to you.

dmac - How long have you been on the John of Ohio regimen and doing upper cervical? Can you tell either is helping?

Julie - you are so fortunate to have your daughter to help you out with your breathing/voice issues!
    My chiro explained to me just yesterday how we can have referred pain, he says it's from our beginning - embryonic - when we are first formed all the parts are right there but as we grow everything stretches out and gets farther apart but somehow which I still don't understand completely but it's all connected like - maybe a person is having a gallbladder problem but they feel pain in their shoulder. Hope I explained that o.k., I'm not very good with explanations like that but I do understand it better now.

3. dmac

dmac my sweet Holly

I've been on partial J of O regimen for shy of 2 years. I went for ten months or so without an attack. But last November I got wholloped good and proper with severe imbalance and one vertigo attack a week.
    I started upper cervical in Dec. and the attacks became less severe but more frequent with 5-10 attacks per week.
    What has helped me is vestibular balance rehabilitation. My vertigo disappeared after 5 treatments as long as I don't go off the diet.
    I am unable to keep my atlas bone in place I don't know if its me or the chiro being unwilling or unable to get it where it belongs.

I'm still taking lemon bios and vinpocitine just for the health benefits. Neither one helps with tinnitus or pressure. The only thing that helps with that are OTC allergy pills.
    We got summertime weather here now so I'm really doing better here, so maybe its winter weather.
    I'm rambling a bit here, I'm still trying to piece it all together, but so far only VRT has helped me at all.

4. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

dmac - my atlas bone hasn't held but a couple of times since I started adjustments 4 weeks ago, my chiro said yesterday most people's atlas doesn't hold long, even his doesn't! He has one lady who holds about 6 months at a time. I'm not sure I get this UC thing completely! I do know I am feeling better all over except my hydrops.
    I am glad the VRT has helped you.

5. Julie

Julie New Member

Thanks for all the input....it really helps. Forgive me if it's already been stated but where would you look for VRT? I'm just started massage therapy and trigger point and planning to try Nucca soon. Trying ones close to home....to keep stress down.

6. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

My neurotologist offered VRT or your ENT could probably direct you Julie.

7. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

Concerning chapter 5 - My understanding here is that you need to get your posture corrected first and to do that the tension has to be released in the muscles that affect our posture since muscles will just keep pulling you out of alignment until they are relaxed, which means we need to learn and practice trigger point therapy as one of the first things we do, am I right on this? Does anyone have another view of this?

8. pardonme

pardonme Guest

9. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

Very good Diane! I agree with you. I personally don't mind admitting I'm uptight - I think that's probably my biggest problem and I never realized just how uptight until I started trying to relax and release tension after reading the DBL book. Seems like I have chronic tension everywhere, my trigger point areas are almost always sore! I'm not sure how I will ever learn to relax when I'm not paying attention and telling myself to do it! Hopefully one day it will come more naturally.

10. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Talking about tension--this morning I was worried and anxious about a friend, and I felt my back and neck tighten up in response to feeling anxious. Of course the story I'd made up wasn't true, and everything was okay, but all day I've been dealing with the aftereffects: sore shoulders, tight neck, headaches. So interesting to watch! Awareness is a beautiful thing.

Intrepid--I love how you said that "As you work your way through the book and become more aware, you will be compelled to change"--

dmac--I just wanted to say that I know what you mean, I think that since MM came into my life my posture and other structural issues have gotten much worse, probably from trying to compensate for hearing and balance losses. I do think that there were issues there before though too.

SweetTater--I'm a beginner too, but I think we're supposed to work on the postural issues as we work on TPs and everything else

Julie--I can hear when I'm anxious that my voice gets smaller, more compressed (because the space is more compressed?)

Time to go roll around on the tennis ball:)

11. Julie

Julie New Member

I didn't realize just how tense I was and how used to living like that I'd become until I was give 1/2 tablet of pain meds (not advocating meds here) but honestly it was heaven to feel no pain and completely relaxed & not drugged up. Somewhere deep in my memory I remember a time, in my youth, when it was normal to feel that way. Oh, if only I could get that back....just a little. That's my goal.

12. pardonme

pardonme Guest

13. pardonme

pardonme Guest

14. ariapace

ariapace New Member

Thanks for this, Diane. I've been sitting here this evening trying to figure out why I got a migraine this afternoon. I've been really careful about following a migraine diet and didn't think I'd been exposed to any triggers today or yesterday, BUT I was very stressed this morning because I was late and running out of time to get to a performance. This always gets me stressed, and then the stress and tension stayed with me during the performance, even though I was aware of it and even though there was very little reason to be stressed about the performance itself. I had forgotten about the stress trigger for migraines...and the delayed reaction. Gotta allow more time to get ready in the morning...

15. Julie

Julie New Member

I had been having a good week. Went to a Stag & Doe last night and sure enough, I woke up with painful migraine. (not fair....hangover & all I had was ginger ale :mad:) The music was very loud and I was enjoying catching up with people I hadn't seen in a while.....having to shout though over the noise. I noticed I hold myself so tense....upper back painful :p and by the end of the night my ears were plugged and ringing. Anyway...I had a great time...dancing & laughing with old friends. ;D

16. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

Well, it's Monday and since I'm the first one here I'll start us on the next chapter - hope that's o.k..
    Chapter 6: Trigger Points

I'm so glad we are doing this chapter by chapter again, I can tell it has slowed me down and I am actually paying more attention as I read each chapter. I have read the book twice and both times I was in a state of desperation but now I am calming down and realising that it is something I have to take my time with and really learn each thing and not try to do everything at once.

The first paragraph in this chapter says so much - "Learning how to self-treat trigger points can be life changing as it provides the key to unlocking tension. This is vitally important, as tension is one of the underlying reasons for lost health and potential. Releasing trigger points primes the body to heal."

Something that was really important to me the first time I read it and each time since is another point made on page 90 - " It's important to realise that you don't need to understand everything about a theory to effectively apply the key concepts."
    I always feel like such a slow learner anyway so I was relieved that I could do this without having to learn everything about it.

I have become much more aware of my tensions and am really working to relieve them but I know I have a long way to go. I still haven't worked up to doing my whole body, just been working on learning the trigger points that affect the above the shoulder areas.

Julie - I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Looks like you are becoming more aware of your tensions and that's a good thing - by this you can work to relieve them. I hope you're feeling better today.

17. Julie

Julie New Member

Thanks Elaine.... I am feeling better, got my monthly friend yesterday so that probably contributed.
    I'm trying to take the in the chapter's more slowly too....I tend to be all over the place...trying a little of this and a little of that "scatter brained" and end up feeling overwhelmed and "I can't do this" creeps in. So I'm thankful for those here who are more methodical...helps me keep on track. Thanks for pointing out pg 90. I feel if I'm not doing or understanding exactly what is said (a bit of perfectionism) I can too easily give up.
    This should be a little easier as I've just started trigger therapy with a massage therapist. One of the first things she did was look at my posture and flexabilty of my neck (I know that is the previous chapter) but I had forgotten she had done that, so I'm going to ask her what she had seen. My worse pain seems to be between my shoulder blades (horrible aching), so I'm going to concentrate on trigger points to relieve that and of course any I can do to relieve the migraines.

18. pardonme

pardonme Guest

19. SweetTater

SweetTater New Member

Thank you Diane! Your encouragement and advice are always so helpful to me and I appreciate you and everyone who is further along taking time from your busy schedules to come here and help us out. It is also encouraging to me that you all are so busy getting on with life!

20. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Hi all--just wanted to share some progress.

I went to see my NUCCA chiropractor today. I asked him to look at the base of my neck and my middle back, because I felt that they were out of alignment. I wasn't sure if my adjustment had held from last week, but thought it probably had. He checked, and I was right on all counts.

I feel I'm becoming more aware of my body, more in tune with what's going on with it, from doing the legs up exercise and working on trigger points every day.

So many thanks to everyone!