Did you know...

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Tara, Oct 22, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

Maybe we could start a convention that if a person puts an asterisk * before the title of their thread that no arguing, persuading, proving is permitted in this thread and the originator will delete the thread if it starts.

2. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Can an originator of a thread delete it June? I didn't realize it could be done.

3. June-

June- New Member

I thought so. Maybe we can only delete our own post. I will try it and see.

I guess not. I can only modify the individual posts. I don't know where I got that idea. Must have dreamt it up.

I still think the asterisk might work. People might respect it.

4. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

The delete would have been good... darn.

5. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

6. rev

rev New Member

Back when we did some Bible studies, I put down a few rules for anyone who would participate in the study. They were meant to keep "sneaky " remarks and finger pointing out of it. The basic idea was that the study was for believers, but not limited to them. I asked that those who didn't believe respect that this was kind of "church" for us and I can't remember a single time that the request was dishonored. We made sure that we didn't attack or throw off on their positions either. It worked well until my mm was to bad to continue them.

I would start again, but am having another spinal fusion done in December. Maybe after some good healing we can start again.

7. Cara

Cara New Member

I would like that rev......take care and heal yourself first.

8. June-

June- New Member

I think most people would respect that. Part of the issue I think is that some people think this whole board is a Bible study and others feel that it isn't just about Bible study. The way Ray describes it does not sound like it is exclusively Bible study to me. I know when one poster requested that only Christians and Christians of her point of view at that - post answers others quit posting on that thread. But when a general question is asked, I do not assume it is a de facto Bible study or assume that because a self proclaimed Christian speaks that only Christians may answer. But I do think it would work if people say I only want a certain kind of response that it will generally be respected as long as they don't call a fair catch and then start using it to denounce other people whom they have forbidden to post on the thread. That's not fair play.

9. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

tara, obviously everyone hear knows exactly what you are saying, in my opinion we seem to get way off course on each thread that is started, we forget what the question is and take off on our opinion that brings in a totally different subject matter than what the original post was, maybe its time everyone here started staying on course and giving their opinions without putting down the post before them, with just a little effort on everyones part, this side of the forum could be a place of Love and Compassion for those who have real needs and real concerns, which probably would include us all, I know it does me!! Lets give it a try!!

10. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

What you describe here sounds a lot like 'conversation'. Staying on track is a good goal but it's often as much about the journey as the destination. :)

11. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

I agree with you IM as long as that is what the person who started the thread wants, but sometimes we need specifics, sometimes we need support, love and a kind heart,, and our conversations usually don't bring that result.

12. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Maybe I'm a glass half full person but I think there have been a lot of discussion (rather than support) threads which, once everyone had had a good rattle of the talking stick ended up with people settling down, seeing other view points, apologising and/or agreeing to disagree. Much like a well functioning democracy I think :)

The threads which are explicitly seeking support I hope remain that way.

13. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I come here to find some kind spiritual words. I don't care from which religion or non religion it comes from. I don't want to be afraid that I'll be cursed because I don't have a specific religion that I study. Even when it's a post for a prayer of a sick or loved one, I feel like I should be able to join in sending that person my words of (hopefully) welcome support.

I've read a lot of threads but did not comment because I felt I would not be accepted as part of the 'group'. This very post is letting me know that it can be open to all who seek some kind of spiritual help when the going gets almost too hard to bare.

It'll be nice when this forum site becomes more open to all who suffer and need support of the kind that the other forums just don't provide.

IMN, I used to be a 'glass half full' kinda person and am trying to get back there again. It's one of the reason's I keep coming back to this web-site.

14. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Holly,

I love your posts and I think if I were to meet you in person I would like you a lot. You're a thinker. You pose questions to try and find an answer, not to show off that you already have the answer.

I think I'm a 'glass full of clue-less' person. I've only recently figured out that one of these (glass half full or empty) was optimistic and one was pessemistic! LOL. I've always said "but it's the SAME amount whether it's half full or empty".

Hopefull we can all discuss things here - from my understanding of Ray's intro (copied below) it's for EVERYONE who wants to discuss spiritual and religous stuff. It's not exlusively for Christians and nor does it exclude non believers. It also allows for discussion, not simply support (although I think it's totally cool if threads specifiy that's all they want).

15. rev

rev New Member

I agree June. BTW - It was usually a single thread that changed each week, so it only made up a small part of the weekly happenings of the corner.

Thank you INS. It is for everyone. Guess my defenses start popping up when discussions become animated to the point that folks can't find support. The more I see your responses, the more impressed I become.

16. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Yea, rev I agree, I kinda like INS too. Not only a sense of humor about himself and others but a lot of well thought out replies. I look forward to reading you too rev. I'm just sorry your disease keeps you from doing what you enjoyed so much - being a teacher for the word of God.

17. Imnoscientist

Imnoscientist New Member

Shucks. Now I'm blushing ;)

What I'd REALLY like is if people could get past their defence mechanisms and/or preconceptions that discussing religious/spiritual issues automatically means they're under attack. That doesn't make sense to me. I don't take it personally if people are appalled or puzzled by my atheism so I struggle to see why believers of any faith would feel that, particularly if their faith is strong. No words, no matter how strong, can change that - sticks and stones etc. Which is not to say we shouldn't try and remain civil, we should - but it is also OK in my opinion to speak with passion and vigour. Debate the idea(s) not the person. I know, I know, I've fallen into that trap plentyof times msyelf but hey, we're all human right, with human failings? :)

18. Jazza

Jazza Saved by Grace Thru Christ Jesus

Adressing the comment in purple.

It takes tactful posting to not make people feel they are being critised or attacked. How you approach someone will often result in the response you get. I do know some people are touchy so you need to take a bit of time to get to know others on a forum.

Written communication is one of the hardest forms for discussion.

Anyway not everybody would have a knee jerk reaction if you take the time to temper your own posts.

You can't change others only your own style of communication.

This is just some advice from my own experience. I haven't read many of your posts so this isn't a critique, I am not familiar enough with your posting to make a comment.

======================================================================

General comment on this thread's topic.

We need to remember many of us are passionate about what we believe and there needs to be a time in any discussion we need to come to a point where we have to "Agree to Disagree".

I have a friend who often quotes the following saying:-

"He who is convinced against his will is of the same opinion still"