Developing Healthy Habits (Inspired by Titus's Motivation)

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Peanut Brittle, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Peanut Brittle

Peanut Brittle My Twerple Has My Heart

As I was walking home yesterday I thought seriously about trying to commit to a daily walk. And I panicked. Any insight into that? I realize I was very uncomfortable at the time I had the thought, but also realized this has been a life-long issue for me. Sticking with a constructive plan of action-- from study habits way back in school, housework habits... (like some people just automatically wipe off every surface in their kitchen whether it appears to need it or not/thus saving a big job later on... stuff like that).

I'm curious. Is there anyone else out there who is a "habit-o-phobe" when it comes to deliberately choosing and developing a series of behaviors that contribute positively to the quality of one's health and well-being?

I think perhaps I'm "stuck" in a place where I view developing new habits and behaviors as somehow being "untrue" to living in the moment, being spontaneous... but perhaps what I have perceived as spontanaeity (sp?) is actually "reponding to chaos," thus I get an adrenalin rush that I mistake for excitement?

Zoons! Where's this coming from I wonder.

:eek:
    Jenski

2. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

Hi

I think that trying to develop habits for me is actually scary. I never know (and I'm sure you don't either) IF you will be able to take that walk tomorrow and that makes me wonder if I should try to make it a habit. If I can't walk (or do anything else that I'm trying to make a habit of) I feel like a failure and then get into depression--or almost depression because "I just can't do anything anymore."

Which really isn't true--but is just the Meniere's talking on "down" days.

Keep on--the walking will do you good--even if you only get to do it once a month instead of every day like you want.

Willie Marie

3. Titus

Titus New Member

Jenski, My husband is like that. He HATES any kind of commitment and they make him nervous. He hates routine and doesn't plan trips....just takes off. I used to be so compulsive in my planning, cleaning, and routine. The illness (and probably the meds :D) helped me to ease up a bit. I still can't sleep if I know the garbage needs to go out or all the clothes are not folded and put away....but I'm making progress.

Everybody is just different. I don't do well at all with chaos. It stresses me out. My husband doesn't even feel the pressure of chaos. He just slowly responds to it. I try to control or harnass it :D

4. charlesj

charlesj New Member

I take a regular walk every day (Except the last 5 weeks). I find it very therapeutic, not to mention healthy as it gives me time away from all the stuff that has invaded my life.. I usually walk 4 miles.
    The reason I haven't walked for the last 5 weeks is I am nursing a broken toe.
    I hope to be walking again by this weekend.

5. pardonme

pardonme Guest

6. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

When I think of being in the moment, I think of Buddhism … and you know … Buddhists are very disciplined. They set aside time to meditate to make that connection to the present moment.

I think we all need to balance our needs to be free, unfettered with our needs to accomplish. When I talk to writers who are successful in publishing their works, I am always struck at how much discipline they show when they are writing. Most of them set aside time each and every day to write. They treat it as a job in the sense that they report to duty.

The trick is to let routine work for you, not against you.

Wobbles

7. Peanut Brittle

You folks have given me some ideas and I'm going to "report back" in about four hours...

:)

You are FABULOUS!

8. Peanut Brittle

Huh. I don't have anything to report, really, other than helping the little turtle to the pond.

I thought perhaps if I set about doing specific things that I'd feel "freer" afterward to pursue some of the more fun things such as cutting fabric. But I just ended up stressing. Starting things, and not getting far, and picking up after myself.

Somehow I'm giving myself mixed messages and I'm getting in my own way. Will have to spend a bit more time with this one and see if I can figure out what's up.

Thanks, anyway, for listening.

And, Pardonme, I appreciate your response. "Does it really matter?" Deep down, no. But for some strange reason I can't seem able to "give myself permission" to do the things I DO think matter. And I can't figure out where that's coming from.

TTYL

Jenski

9. June

June New Member

I try not to get to deep into the why's of how I am because once I come up with a story line (true or not) it seems almost disrespectful to change given all that went into developing the 'problem'. I have found it easier and more fruitful to just do it - make the change - and then having successfully done it and accomplished it, look back from that vantage point and ponder why I didn't do it sooner. The thing is by that time I usually find the looking back boring and just move on.

As for exercise habit especially walking, what I find works is a 20 minute committment, no more. Just commit to 20 minutes 6 days a week. The rest will take care of it self.