depression

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by spinningwheels, Sep 10, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

Shartsoe, sounds like you're turning things around in your favor. :) Just because they can't 'see' it doesn't mean it's not a disability. If you were in a wheelchair (God forbid), you wouldn't be expected to do some of the things expected of you right now.

Being good to yourself is the right way to go in my opinion. I used to care what people thought about this disease and how much it's "changed" me. But now, if the understanding's not there, I shrug it off and let 'em think whatever they may about it/me. It's a true disability and needs special treatment(s) to give you a good quality of life.

I'm sorry you've found new issues to have to work through (communication). But hopefully, he'll be ready to do those things for you that support rather than further depress you. Good luck and keep on fighting for yourself! ;)

2. tkemt

tkemt New Member

I think in most cases depression goes right along with MM. Especially if you have had to "fight the doctors", I had some cardiac symptoms along with the typical MM symptoms and had one heck of a time with them doctors putting me on meds that I didn't need. A combination of two of them caused me to get migraines when previously I would only get 1 or 2 a year and I was having three a day. I say it is very easy for a person to get depressed and it is a must to come in here and know that you are not alone. Although we have all been through different experiences we all have been through a lot.

3. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Yep. I am learning not to care so much what other people think. An upside of this disease, if there is one, might just be finding myself a little more tolerant of other people's "faults." I've learned that you never really know what someone else is going through, no matter what it looks like on the outside. That and patience. You can't bulldoze your way through this one.

4. AnneT

AnneT New Member

Had a good cry and had some friends pray for me at church today. Good nap, then felt well enough to mow the lawn, and take my son to get new guitar strings. Baby steps...

5. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Way to go AnneT! I felt well enough to take my children to the pool for an hour today after church. I love good reports!

6. goofygirl

goofygirl WDE!!!

Ditto on the good reports!! Baby steps will get you there...Hope everyone of us have a better week next week!

7. AnneT

AnneT New Member

Sorry to be a downer... feeling very rough emotionally today. One step forward, 3 steps back. Took an Ativan, trying to contact some friends (none available yet), doing tiny tasks. God, why is it so hard? When will I feel better? I just can't take this.

8. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Are you well enough to take a walk? Is there anyone you can call? I find that if I get one thing done, just one thing, I can celebrate that. I'll be thinking of you.

9. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Hang in there Anne. Yes, it is very hard sometimes, but the episodes and the phases always end. Never soon enough, but they will. Believe me, I've been through enough of them to know. Sometimes we have to break it down into whatever time frame we can manage. Maybe it's an hour, maybe it's 5 minutes, but just get through it and repeat.

Vent here all you need to - that's why we're here.

10. goofygirl

goofygirl WDE!!!

Anne,
    Hope u feel better soon..I feel your pain! Got up this morning,got ready,got in car, and then began driving and things started whirling..Had to come back home,didn't make half a mile, my parents live across the street & I called & Dad got me inside. What was depressing to me was I'm 52 yrs old and Daddy still has to come take care of me!! Have an appt with Dr tomorrow, and will go from there. We deal with this the best we can & Dad said don't look at it that way..we should be thankful that he IS across the street,and I'm not alone if my husband's at work. Hard to not feel like a wimp,but hang on to hope that "this too will pass". And we have this wonderful place to find encouragement :)

11. AnneT

AnneT New Member

Thanks shartsho, survivedit and goofygirl. I spoke with one friend on the phone. Another may pick me up and take me to Chapters. Definitely taking it in 5 minute chunks. Nice to read your quick responses.

12. survivedit

survivedit New Member

Don't underestimate the mental aspect of this. As much as it's a physical thing with feeling so awful, the mental battle is every bit as important. We have to win the mental battle every day.

Hope you're feeling at least a little better.

13. Nathan

Nathan New Member

What Intrepid said! That woman's fast on the buzzer.

14. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Amen!

15. AnneT

AnneT New Member

Thanks, peoples! I'm hanging on by my toenails, but hanging nonetheless. A friend took me to Chapters, got me out of my head for a bit.

P.S. I like Nathan's "Doing stuff since 1981."

16. AnneT

AnneT New Member

Hi all
    I've had a pretty good year and have been off antidepressants for about a month. Unfortunately the depression, anxiety, early morning wakening, low appetite are returning. It was worth a try but I'll probably start my remeron again tonight. The encouraging remarks from the past here are encouraging once again!

17. yanksgirl

yanksgirl New Member

I'm dealing with it now. Can't take any anti-depressants (so far)--have tried several. The low dose of Xanax 1/2 of it that I take, helps over the hump and I take the Valium just for the dizziness--can't tell it helps much. Nausea makes the depression worse. Good days and bad--but I understand and when I waken with nausea, I am usually depressed, sometimes big time. Hope you get some relief. Try an anti-depressant and maybe it will help. :)

18. FanofFinz

FanofFinz New Member

Spinningwheels,

I am so sorry you are going through this. It does stink when your family doesn't support you. I had a rough bout this year with MM and depression got to me. The psychiatrists put me on Trazadone which I took, but it made me dizzy and irate. I am still taking valiums due to daily dizziness and that seems to help my mood as well. I take it 4 times per day. I have 10mg tablets, so I break them into quarters. I hope you feel better and on this site, everyone is here for you!

Take Care!!

Brad Smith