Decaf coffee isn't caffeine free

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by jrw, Oct 23, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. jrw

jrw New Member

For those of us who cannot tolerate caffeine, you might be interested in an article on CNN:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/10/23/decaf.coffee.reut/index.html

Basically it says that while decaf coffee has much less caffeine than the regular brew, it is not caffeine free. Typical amounts are 10% of the caffeinated varieties.

Guess I'll stick with herbal or decaf tea.

2. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

jrw,

I had to go caffeine free in the mid 1980's. I was told at the time to stay away from anything labeled decaf because it isn't caffeine free, including your decaf tea.

If you research the process used to decaffeinate coffee and tea, you probably wouldn't want to drink it.

Tracy

3. sbtier

sbtier New Member

You can get some of the caffeine out of tea by placing the bag (or loose tea) in boiling water for 30 seconds, then throwing away that water. Starting with new boiling water, put the bag or loose back in. The caffeine supposedly leaves the tea within 30 seconds (along with most of the flavor ;D).

4. cheese

cheese New Member

Decaf coffee is about the only vice I have left. Im just going to leave now and pretend i never read this :D

5. jrw

jrw New Member

Well, according to that CNN article there are 12-13 mg caffeine in decaf coffee. According to a web site with the caffeine levels, regular coffee has 80 mg (the CNN article says some have 180 mg), black tea has 40 mg, green tea 20 mg, decaf tea 5-10 mg, herbal 0 mg. I'm wondering if the tea quantities are based on 1 tea bag per cup. I generally brew 1 bag in a tea pot for 4 large cups. I drink about 2 pots a day without a problem. But bittersweet chocolate has enough caffeine to feel its effects within half an hour. Guess I'll have to watch it unless drinking herbal.

6. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

HA, i'm with you Cheese, it's about my only vice left too! :D