Dealing with grief during the holidays

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by tess, Nov 24, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Titus

Titus New Member

Ditto to what Alladin and Moe said :-*

2. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

All this week I've been trying to decide whether to put up the Christmas tree this year. Every year on Christmas eve we each make an ornament for the tree. The ornaments are made from or represent something significant that happened to us that year. In many ways the tree is decorated with our family history. With the loss of 2 family members (separation from husband and death of beloved kitty), I fear that putting up the tree will only amplify our grief. At the same time, I can't allow the sad events of this year to stop us from celebrating Christmas ever again. The 2 older kids have already expressed to me that it doesn't feel like Christmas and that that special feeling is just not there this year.

I am leaning toward putting the tree up next weekend and buying pre-made ornaments that we can write on "And This Too Shall Pass".

3. Titus

Titus New Member

Gwen, I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this during our most joyful season. I remember when my grandfather died (just before thanksgiving in 1965). I was only 10 but very close to him (he lived with us). A couple months before he died my dog, Sparky, got killed by a car. When I got home from school I remember seeing my grandfather sitting at the table crying. He hurt so bad for me but he was so much comfort to me. When he died, just a few months later I felt lost. But I remember the happiness of my 3-year old neice, Andrea, and how she made Christmas fun for me.

Hang on to those precious people who can help make Christmas a joy.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim

4. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

I've lost several family members and friends over the years. At Christmas, I miss them the most. The old folks are missed the most. My oldest brother, my sister-in-law and two nephews have passed away and I remember them and pine for them during the holidays.

However, my youngest nephew, just became a daddy for the first time at the age of 40. Those internet picures he sent have filled me with joy. The baby that we've all prayed for is with us. I'm sad because they are so far away but so haapy that this new baby is with him and his wife. Singapore is so far away but with today's techniology, it is so near.