Deaf people get gene tweak to restore natural hearing. NewScientest Article

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by MJPMIN, Apr 28, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. MJPMIN

MJPMIN New Member

A new trial soon to be under way at the University of Kansas Medical Center that will hopefully regenerate hearing for 45 volunteers. I think they are still looking for volunteers. Good stuff!!!!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22229662.400-deaf-people-get-gene-tweak-to-restore-natural-hearing.html#.U17uA1dF8vD

2. KennedyLane

KennedyLane New Member

Amazing!! I can only imagine what the future holds for those of us suffering with chronic diseases...

3. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

I wonder if it can help people with meniere's disease to regain their hearing?

4. MJPMIN

MJPMIN New Member

I think were going to see some amazing things develop in the next 5 to 10 years. I'm bilateral and I've been having a tough time the past month. I'm really scared of going totally deaf in both ears. Articles like this lift my spirits and gives me hope. I'm thankful for living at a time in human history where we're going to see and experience so many incredible medical advancements. I really believe life will be better for all of us in the future.

5. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

i am hopeful but in much longer timeframe...i think it'll be more like 25-30 years. Basically unless they've identified the cure (like for example, if the treatment in the article is THE cure for deafness, or SS protocol is THE cure for for meniere's, etc) in the 1-2 years, it will be hard to produce a viable treatment in 10 years because of all the trials and bureaucracy, etc.

6. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Agreed. A Hearing Health article says a cure for deafness is on the horizon within the next 10 years, but my audiologist says not to look for one before 20. I think it's there, but things being what they are in this country, it will take a long time. Perhaps other countries will take the lead and start providing help sooner? However, even if we can cure my hearing loss, unless we can cure the underlying cause, it will be for nothing -- the ear will just get sick again and start all over.

7. kaiguy55

kaiguy55 New Member

Good points by all (I wish there was less bureaucracy in getting treatment to those who need it) but this is, nonetheless, something to be excited about! :)