DBL support group ... everyone welcome!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mnme, Oct 31, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

Lee, I looked at your website and instantly was teary, all choked up. Crying is one of the most beneficial therapies extent.

2. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Cee

My pain management doc recommended the Theracane and the Knobble for trigger point work. I think they are both mentioned in the Trigger Point book I have. I bought both of mine at the Kaiser pharmacy, but here are the websites where you can order them online:

Theracane
    http://www.theracane.com/

Knobble
    http://www.pressurepositive.com/prod_massage/knobbleII.asp

I think the basic idea on the Theracane is that you can actually reach trigger points anywhere on your body with this tool. As for the Knobble, it allows you to massage trigger points without fatiguing your hand. I'm sure there are other tools out there. (Tennis ball in a sock, etc....)

3. Titus

Titus New Member

DC, I've had the theracane since it came out. When I got the dizzies, it didn't occur to me that this tool would help. My doctors had me so convinced it was all inner ear and brain stem damage. THEY ARE WRONG. I'm not saying that my brain was not damaged from the accident. I'm saying that my symptoms can decrease as the knowledge and treatment of my whole body increases.

My husband uses the theracane and manual religiously. And I see his almost perfect posture, flat stomach, square shoulders, and incredible golf swing. He takes nightly baths in epsom salts in his jacuzzi tub and does stretching exercises for 30 minutes each day. I'm seeing a transformation in him.

Lee, the Trigger Point Handbook was one of the required texts for my doctorate (that I've since quit due to increased work load). And I think NUCCA might have worked if I had bothered to work on my trigger points BEFORE the treatments. I couldn't hold the adjustments because my back and neck muscles were pulling the atlas back out.

Now, here's something new. I went to a dentist (who took $6,000 of my hard earned money) and made splints for my dislocated TMJ. I now believe that they prevented my jaw from going back in place. I haven't worn them in over six months and I'm experiencing less pain and am able to eat salads once again (not every day but most days).

Every body is different but the one similarity is that our bodies were designed for wellness, not illness. They will fight to return to good health as they are programmed to do so. We have to identify and use the tools to help them along. And just as important we have to give up the habits that prevent their journey back to wellness (bad posture, jaw clenching, stretching without warming up, eating the wrong food, etc).

God bless all who are on this journey.

4. kass

kass New Member

Titus - It was Lee who was chanting all along - urging everyone to sort out their trigger-points in the first place, once I finally GOT the message, everything else just fell into place.

:)K

5. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Yes Kim!
    I also wanted to show people just how effective all of the 'good' ideas behind different disciplines of knowledge are, when applied by the individual. In my case, because I persisted and fed my whole body awareness, I completely resolved all my symptoms. And yet I was a 'severe' case! It's this staggering realisation that has made me so pigheadedly, obstinately determined to share my good news for so many years.

Perhaps the potential can best be shown by talking about hearing. Not only did I return my hearing to a deaf ear, I could detail the research and logic explaining how this was possible. The link is actually there in medical journals!

Although I was just like any other person who thought they came down with a 'disease' the moment my symptoms erupted, when I decided it was time to stop and search deeper, I realised clues had been there all along. I just had absolutely no idea of their significance. Every person who has read this one section alone - from that point on - can't help but recognise their own clues. Once you see them, you can't forget.

And a lot of talk on this thread has been about Trigger point therapy, yet it's actually only one section of the book. When I recommended the Trigger Point guides years ago - although these are simplified from complex medical journals -I noticed they still seemed hard to someone with severe suffering. So I developed an approach that is so much simpler. In person, I can teach people this in only 1 hour. And the key? Naturally they need to understand a few key concepts, but instead of solely using the theory of cause/effect, they are shown how to use their body's very own clues. By doing this, I've had a potential Olympian come back from career threatening injury just as successfully as people with vertigo have been shown how to stop an attack as it is happening ... and best of all, finally recognise what their body was trying to tell them. And yet they have never read a 'text' book or heard the names of muscles. It is therefore available to EVERYONE ... as it should be.

And the Alexander Technique - we can use the same underlying 'good' idea using a mirror, video, partners etc. For free ... and all day everyday!

And Physiotherapy - really it's just about the logic behind biomechanics ... something our own body knows beautifully, so again, it can be used for free.

And Nutritional Texts - what is the real test of food? Our body's clues!

And Medical Tests - is there a 'better' way of finding out what is wrong when a condition seems to be idiopathic? Of course there is! Why else do we have health clues if we aren't supposed to use them? etc etc

And on a deeper level - we can identify what I call 'forces' at work. Have you ever considered the link between traits such as overachieving/underachieving and physical health clues? They are there to inspect for those willing/ready to take an honest look.

For those ready, I suspect you are about to go on quite some journey!!

Lee.

6. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

Lee - I was on the computer this afternoon when DH came into the room singing "AIR MAIL!!!!" and waving a package over my head.

It was your book, and he knew I was waiting for it! Took nine days to get here.

Let the journey begin!!! :-*

7. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Wooohooo deercharmer! That was fast!

Hope you enjoy it!

8. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

It seems like there is always someone looking to make a few bucks.. I dont get it..If i had any knowledge of how to help anyone with MM i would gladly post and let them know for free...Just my opinion..

9. Mnme

Mnme Guest

I totally agree heavyduty. That's why I have been posting all the information I have for 5 years now and helping people one on one via PM's. It's also why I have met with many fellow sufferers and shared with them what I know ... and all for free. In fact, I've even applied trigger pointing - along with my husband who has the necessary certification - to people from this forum, at no cost and a lot of personal effort (with, I might add, amazing results). And all for the 'unusual' reason that I care enough to do it. So, I can back up everything I claim. But don't forget that it is very easy to do a search here on a person's name before offering an opinion about them, particularly if that opinion may be hurtful. And you only had to ask for 'proof' that I am genuine and I would have provided it.

In the beginning it was easy to share, but as I accumulated more and more, I could no longer fit it all into short posts. Actually, I struggled to condense it into 239 pages! And each time I began, my thread would get bogged down in controversy. People find it hard to consider that the doctors could be missing so much, but sadly, at the moment they are. But there are MANY reasons, not just one.

One final point. This book is professionally produced. It took me two and a half years to write (and many more years to research), including all the standard costs ... print costs being the highest. For two and a half years I could have received a full time wage from teaching (a profession I love) instead of writing this. If you think this is profiting ... I'd say I'm currently down many hundreds of thousands of dollars ... that would make me one poor business person! I just know these many ideas work and can't seem to rest until I do my best to share that knowledge.

Lee.

10. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

heavyduty, mnme has been sharing her thoughts and ideas for several years on this forum free of charge, no fee, gratis. We have shared in her travails and benefited by her experience and wisdom. There are dozens and dozens (hundreds?) of her posts on this forum and countless others on the other two that crashed before this forum came about.
    You are off base.

11. VickiS

VickiS New Member

The 'few bucks' people who venture in here are always fly-by-nighters selling snake oil. Once they realise we're not having any, they disappear from whence they came and are never heard of again.

Lee is sharing years of research that has freed her from a debilitating illness and is generous enough to share it with whoever is interested.

12. Titus

Titus New Member

I would also like to add that Lee invited me to Australia and offered to help me IN PERSON!

As a published author who has written for large publishing houses and self published, I can attest that writing a book is one of the hardest things I've ever done. Lee has been working long hours on this project.

And if her book makes some money (even millions), she deserves it. I'm sure the man who wrote the Trigger Point Therapy Handbook is well off, due to his suffering, dedication, and hard work. I hope Lee's book is on the NY Times Best Seller List and she ends up on Oprah! Lee stayed on this forum encouraging us when she was completely symptom free. Now, she has a product to sell and those of us who were helped by her should be willing to give testimonies of her methods. I remember when her book was an "idea". I knew Lee before her book was an "idea". She was unselfishly free with her advice and methods.

Bravo, Lee!

13. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Thank you for vouching for me Gardenfish, Vicki and Titus (and the many people in earlier posts).

Lee.

14. June

June New Member

I'm new here and I haven't read Lee's book - yet. But I think the reason some cures don't come to light is that neither dr's nor patients want a cure that can't be put in a pill or done with an operation. Heck, I want that magic pill right now too. But I am guessing my best shot is lifestyle change and putting tons of time into rehabbing my body and probably explaining the way to do that takes a whole book if not an encyclopedia. I guess that is what Lee was saying, and it meets with my experience in life. Everyone wants us to sum up years of experience in one short sentence. You know, like the dr does in your 5 minute visit and it just isn't possible no matter how much editing I do. As for making a buck, well we do all have to eat. Would you do your job for free?

15. vertigo247

vertigo247 One cannot think crooked and walk straight.

Lee, I'm really excited about your new book and plan on ordering a few for Christmas! I also applaud you for this thread. Thanks so much for your hard work and determination! :)

-Brooke

16. Ceeka

Ceeka New Member

Lee and DC, many thanks for the net sites on where and how to order trigger point accessories (therapy canes). ...and to Titus too for her suggestion of using our own body weight to reduce neck tension prior to sleep. I tried it last night and it does help. I may take me a while to perfect the technique, but I have the time. :)

Lee, I want to do this, but am afraid to discontinue prescribed medications. They do help with the symptoms and I am so afraid of regressing to the long, arduous bouts on the bathroom floor. Will this work with both - at least for a while?

17. June

June New Member

Since we talked about the clenched jaw the other day, I have found that even in my sleep - I guess I wake up temporarily when it happens - that I am catching it just as it happens and relaxing the muscles before they are like a vice grip! I'm so thrilled about this - and I really didn't do anything but read this discussion. I also noticed of all the silly things, I start to do it when I get the hour glass on the computer. I never noticed that but that's what I do for a living, I have spent decades in front of a computer, all too often, all to slow. Progress already! :)

18. kass

kass New Member

Ceeka - its nearly 8.30am here in Western Australia and Lee usually cranks herself up around this time, so hang five and she will be along to answer your question pretty soon.

June, great you are seeing the pitfalls of modern living.  Did you know that Menieres is also known as the 'watchmakers' disease ? 

Equate the same hunched-up position of a late 18th century watchmaker, during the second period of the industrial revolution, and about the same time Professor Menieres first diagnosed this disease - match it alongside of today's computer !

In my mind, there has to be a definate correlation between the two posture position and in line with Lee's theories.

Best wishes, Kass 

19. Mnme

Mnme Guest

I thought I'd address this question first as it is so important. Ceeka, there is no way I'd interfere in the Doctor/patient process. Rather, I'm trying to encourage people to do the things that doctors always tell us are so good for us. Proper diet, proper posture, reducing stress etc. But my 'unique' message is just how much is possible by doing this and that there are some surprisingly simple strategies to help. If you're on prescribed medication, then it's prescribed in response to your symptoms. If your medications are helping you, then do these strategies in tandem. Fix the 'fixable' ... and keep open communications with your doctor ... and then at some point (when/if you deem you are ready) you may want to review your medications with your Doc. They will be far easier to give up once you are feeling better!

Ceeka, I have two theracanes hooked over a chair in my kitchen permanently. As a habit, I grab one and ease out tension (usually my kids or husband has the other!). Now people who know me and come to visit do the same. I don't even notice it! Makes for lovely, relaxing conversations.

Thanks for showing interest. :)

Lee.

20. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Exactly!! That's why this thread is so important. It's a place for those who are ready and willing to do this. Very perceptive comment June ... and I love your questions!

Thanks Brooke!

Lee.