DBL support group ... everyone welcome!

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mnme, Oct 31, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June

June New Member

Thank you. It's funny but one of the things I just felt like I wanted to do for a few weeks is get a facial or neck and shoulder massage because of these tight muscles. I felt silly about it but I feel like there is some degree of connection. Chicken and egg again but sometimes it doesn't matter which end of the string you grab when you want to untangle it. I don't know where to go. Just the local spa? A massage therapist?

2. Julie

Julie New Member

Looking forward to learning more about this. Thanks for starting this thread :)

Julie

3. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Ok...so it's essentially being in tune with your body and if it's out of whack we learn how to fine tune it ourselves?

June; I agree. :)

4. pardonme

pardonme Guest

5. Titus

Titus New Member

Count me in, friends :)

I had my massage therapist do some trigger point therapy on me today. I had been putting off going because I was short of cash and insurance doesn't pay. I almost started crying (in relief) on the table. She does something similar to rolfing and I sometimes get emotional during the sessions.

She said that I was full of knots (no big surprise because I've been working 12 hour days on the computer).

Tomorrow is November 1. I'm back to eating all organic and healthy again. Avoiding foods to which I'm sensitive. Massage therapy and trigger point therapy twice a week through the end of the year (I booked another session for Friday).

I am tired of being dizzy. I know most of my triggers and I know that when I go regular trigger point therapy I get relief. So, I'm in. My posture has improved with what I call "body awareness" but my jaw clenching and stress level need work. I need more body work. So.....here I am.

I think it is strange that I was half way through a doctorate in naturopathic health when all this hit. I had the tools and knowledge but, still, pursued conventional treatment for four years. Last year I stopped going to doctors for the dizziness because my body wants to be healed and doctors were not doing anything for me.

6. Titus

Titus New Member

When I lay down to sleep, I do a tension release exercise with my hands on the back of my neck. The pressure of my weight allows me to release muscle tension without aggravating other muscles. Using one part of your body as weight can help another part release.

I have to be very careful because my TMJ is dislocated. The doctors say it will never relocate without major surgery. I don't believe them. My jaw wants to be in place and it will find a way to get there if I allow it.

7. Titus

Titus New Member

Just ordered your book, Lee.

8. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Sparrow, the post office quotes around 10 working days for an overseas parcel. I just wish you were down the street so I could pop over and give it to you! :)

Lee.

9. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Good on you Kim!

Lee

10. kass

kass New Member

G'day Titus - good to see you around - Hey what a great red letter day !

Lee's strength and book is awesome in its ability to sit down beside you and gently lead your thinking in the right direction to self problem solve from grass roots level - I can't wait for all of her past info sharing mates to regroup and celebrate Lee triumphs together.

Thanks to Lee, I can now rock up to my morning water aerobics class, whip off my tracky pants hopping from one foot to the other without gripping a chair like some old fuddie-duddie (which I am) which feels so cool especially in front of all the much younger chicky-babes.

More good news later...

Cheers for now, Kass

11. Ceeka

Ceeka New Member

This thread is an answer to a prayer. Count me in! I'm being pushed for surgery to combat a couple of different medical conditions (none life threatening), but there is a wee voice deep inside that is quietly and with force: "No Way!" I am not seeking a temporary fix, I want to be well and whole!!

I bought a book on trigger point therapy which suggests there are actual physical objects (tools) to assist with this step. Does anyone know of these and where to purchase them? If so, is one brand better than another?

12. Tinka

Tinka New Member

Hey Lee
    I live in New Zealand and wondering how I could order your book.

Colleen

13. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Yes, essentially that's it Oceanbreeze. :)

Diane is so right ... It's a matter of tapping into that curiosity. Ask questions such as 'Why do I feel so bloated after a meal?' or 'Why am I more comfortable lying a certain way in bed?' and trust that there WILL be an underlying reason that can have far reaching consequences.

Titus, I hope Kass pops back in and tells the story about her last severe vertigo attack. She was about to ring for an ambulance but instead decided to question WHY it was happening. Coooeeeee ... Kass!! :) And while I'm at it Kass, I'm glad you are now able to 'whip off your tracky pants without gripping your chair like an old fuddie-duddie' - which I know for a fact that you are not! You're a funny one!

Ceeka, good on you listening to that inner voice! I think you will be VERY surprised how much it is trying to tell you. As far as actual tools to self-treat muscles, I just LOVE my theracane (as I live in Australia and these weren't available, my father made mine ... I drew a plan and he headed off to his shed to make it. That's why I call mine my 'Charliecane' ;D). But for those in the northern hemisphere, they are available on this site: www.theracane.com Alternatively, throw a tennis ball in a long sock and use that for your back.

And Tinka, if you want to order from New Zealand, the only way is online through Paypal at www.discoveringbodylogic.com (my website). Just click on where it says 'Order Book'. Thanks for asking!

14. Mnme

Mnme Guest

Yes, that's exactly what I've wanted all along too Diane. And not a one-off topical discussion, but somewhere to encourage an ongoing learning curve.

Lee

15. VickiS

VickiS New Member

I'm in for sure...what an amazing opportunity I feel blessed to be part of. To read Lee's unique book and be able to communicate with the writer is fantastic. How many times have we read books and wanted to contact the author?

I'm working my way through your book Lee, for starters I am realising how tight I clench my jaw which I wasn't aware of before. And how tight I am across my shoulders. Trigger point therapy needed for sure there.

16. DizE

DizE New Member

Thank you Diane for putting into words exactly the way I have been feeling. I have discovered my own road to wellness but it has been frustrating and discouraging at times.
    I was feeling invisible when I was experiencing MM attacks and sometimes I feel invisible now that I am working hard to stay well. The medical profession will help you if you go to ER puking your guts out with vertigo but it is only a temporary fix. My docs just said you have MM, here's some Serc, learn to live with it or have surgery that may or may not work but will destroy your hearing and have a nice day.
    But the thing was, I did not want to learn to live with it so I have found most of the relief through alternative methods. Although,I have not found anyone here that does trigger point like Lee :mad: so I can't wait to get back to Oz to see her ;D ;D

17. pardonme

pardonme Guest

18. Mnme

Mnme Guest

That's a great start Vicki! It's amazing what you find when you first start searching for 'sore spots'. On reflection, I now see that therapists would treat me according to a rigid procedure largely determined by time/effort, yet in reality, my own body would show me exactly where my problems were. And they were far more prevalent than anyone ever suggested.

Hiya DizEEE! Ah, now you've a good excuse to come and visit again! This time I wouldn't treat you, I'd show you how to treat yourself. That's FAR more powerful as you can take it with you whereever you go.

Lee.

19. Mnme

Mnme Guest

By the way, it may sound like DBL is the same old same old. It isn't. It is brand spanking new approach to age-old chronic problems.

20. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

i was coming up with some pretty clever meanings for dbl as I too didn't know - haha

a room for DBL and such is a great idea; it is vitally important and wont get lost amongst all of the other information

xo