cooking with MAV

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by thornapple, Oct 1, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

That's why we started slicing the kernels off the cob first!!! :D

2. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Well, I usually do that, but at the time I was sitting at my computer at work.

I missed the orange kitty waving for her share.....

3. deercharmer1

Oh, the one who projectile-spewed corn all over the the dog who then ran through the house? :eek: ::) :D

4. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Yes, that is the kitty!

See orange kitty in action here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8931821915393699179&q=julian+plays+with+cats&hl=en

(no, it is not a hurling video--it is adorable!)

5. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Fruit, fruit, glorious fruit! Cantelope, strawberries, cherries, yum yum!

Pretty soon the blueberries will be in and I can pick ten pounds of them and stuff my face!
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

6. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Ok I just loved the babies belly laugh, thats the sweetest sound on earth.

7. thornapple

thornapple New Member

now that I have pigged out on blueberries, what is left?

orange kittens are really stinky.

8. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Sitting here in the kitchen, I am thinking that the *assholes in the living room are making me puke. I think I will make some puke casserole with tuna catfood and forcefeed to these people and smear their faces in it.

9. sparrow

sparrow Guest

Just sitting here reading thru all your posts. This is what I can't eat, so what's left? Not much.

I can't eat:

gluten
    dairy
    nuts (peanutbutter)
    Tomatoes
    Onions
    Citrus
    Green peppers
    cabbage family
    salty foods
    MSG
    Chocolate
    Decalf
    Anything with sodium nitrite in it
    All premixed foods
    All premade soups
    Kale
    Lettuce
    Any darkly colored spice
    Lamb
    recently made gluten bread
    vanilla

Every isle in the grocery store is THE ISLE OF NO. Very little comfie food left.

Sparrow :'(

10. thornapple

thornapple New Member

wine and graham crackers. A new low.

11. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Beans, beans, the wonderful fruit
    The more you eat, the more you toot
    The more you toot, the better you feel
    You should eat beans at every meal!

Beans, beans, are good for your heart
    The more you eat, the more you fart
    The more you fart, the better you feel
    You should eat beans at every meal!

Beans, beans, oh please, not again
    It isn't if, it's always when
    If I see one more bean, I'll surely scream
    I couldn't eat more, even with whipped cream!

Beans, beans, are powerful fuel
    they give you gas that could drop a mule
    Or stop a mugger right in his tracks
    Beans are great, and them's the facts!

12. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Here is something to not eat; honey bunches of oats cereal with your fingers, washed down with wine.

Hmmmm....I am really tired.

13. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Now it's fudge with apples. I think I need to rehealthy my diet.

14. deercharmer1

On my really bad, tired days I was known to have had a diet root bear and gummy bears for dinner.... :p

15. thornapple

thornapple New Member

these days, everything is better with flies on it.

Or at any rate, it had better be, because that is the seasoning of the hour.

16. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Tonight....dinner is:

boneless pork ribs browned in a dutch oven (no idea why it's called that, marian) with chopped fresh garlic....then smothered in organic baby carrots, onion quarters, apples cut into 8ths with the skin on, fresh mushrooms, bay leaves, marjoram, oregano, floated in pink zinfandel wine (because that is what was on the counter next to the stove), a dash of red wine vinegar, a splash of cranberry apple juice.....simmered for an hour and a half until the pork is spoon-tender.

Wow, this is really good.

17. shelly3257

shelly3257 New Member

I just saw this thread. Very interesting. My question is, how come you can't have decaf anything? Is it because of the small amounts of caffeine? Does that include decaf sodas?

18. burd

burd New Member

Never looked at this thread when it was in it's heyday...didn't know then I was on a collision course with MAV crap.  I was pissed with my restrictions before, no dairy or any of it's singled out components, at all, and the low sodium restrictions, now with the mav restrictions I can't eat most of what is left.  What really stinks are the fun words I need to look for now, the "amines", the "sulphites", "nitrites and nitrates", the "let's play the game with msg and all it's cryptic it's aliases", my favorite fruits, and what really bites is all the natural food products that are on the warning lists of caution, such as malted barley or brown rice syrup, chocolate products, vinegar, onions, nuts,  yeast, etc., etc., freakin' etc..

Are you friggin' kidding me?! 

I still have coffee, mostly decaff and not every day, but on the weekends I allow myself a little caffeinated coffee, and a regular Pepsi.  And I did find nitrate-free bacon and hotdogs that fall within my lo-so levels, but overall this all really bites, big time. Eventually I'll be left with nothing but rabbit food.
    I don't think I'll ever be happy again.

19. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I have caffeine up the wazoo. I love the stuff. Gimmee an energy powerfuel or a double espresso or turkish coffee, mmmmmm. Now, if I >>stop<< caffeine, then I get a migraine. I need a steady supply, or I have to do without altogether. I prefer a steady supply.

the thing with the food avoidance stuff is: if it isn't YOUR trigger, and not everything is, you can eat it. And if you have been sleeping regularly, eating carefully, and are taking preventive meds, then you can eat a little of one of your trigger things...like, if I am in good shape, I can go out and drink Breakfast Stout at the local watering hole. But if I am not, a mug of that stuff will knock me right on my prodigious @$$.

Citris is not a trigger for me. Aged moldy cheese is not a trigger for me. Tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, tobacco, are all on my nono list. Chocolate, vodka (no idea about that one), dark beer are sometimes triggers.

You have to go on a REAL elimination diet, then add stuff one at a time, one every couple of days, to see what gets you. then it isn't quite so bad, because probably not all the stuff on the list is a trigger for you. I know someone who gets migraine whenever he eats an onion. I don't; I get HORRIBLE deadly flatulence. But not migraine. That person can eat tomatoes; I can't. So you have to test yourself.

And you have to eat whole foods or things you cooked yourself, otherwise you don't know what is in them.

20. thornapple

thornapple New Member

I am eating Cool Whip with a spoon. Mmmmmmm.