Colonoscopy

Discussion in 'For Friends & Families of Menierians' started by revjim, Nov 17, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. revjim

revjim New Member

Getting one next week but not sure about the sodium in the prep...any suggestions about the different preps and sodium content...thanks guys!!!

2. June-

June- New Member

Ask the gastro. Tell him your situation. On one occasion they gave me something, might have been pills but when I ask for it last time, they told me it was no longer used due to risk of something bad, I forget what. There may also be issues about what the insurance will pay for. I think I might have had to pay a good bit for my prep last time. The one I like least is the one where you have to drink 4 litres of water with a powder mixed in. It was more than nauseating.

Sorry to be so inspecific. I can't remember the names of these things but since they keep changing, I really would explain your need for low sodium and ask for his recommendation.

3. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

My doctor told me that colonoscopies are not as helpful for diagnosing cancer as she would like, and that there seems to be increasing risks associated with them (infections, perforations, etc), possibly because of declining wages/increasing hours for hospital staff. I was relieved to hear this, as I now know 3 people who have had severe problems after routine colonoscopy (though in all fairness, I do know 1 whose colon cancer was detected with a routine colonoscopy).

She suggested having a stool sample tested for blood instead, saying if THAT is positive, then it might be worth it to have a colonoscopy.

4. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Yes, our Primary has us do the stool samples annually.

My advice, call your Pharmacist, explain the situation and ask what they recommend.

IMO, it's flushed out of your system so quickly that it might be ok, I go into the salty ocean, and I don't get affected...so...maybe it won't be so bad.

Good Luck.

5. dizzy teacher2

dizzy teacher2 New Member

yuk! Had one last year. The sodium didn't bother me at all, and sodium DOES sometimes bother me. I think it's a different kind of sodium they put in that crud. Sorry to say, the sodium will probably be the least of your problems. That stuff is disgusting.

Good luck

6. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Gotta have one now. I'm glad this threaostia posted!

7. Houston Ringing

Houston Ringing New Member

Had one yesterday- fun! I was already in a spell so it didn't bother me. I did tell them that if I appear dizzy after coming to it's probably the MM and not the anesthesia
    They also adjusted my position to make sure my head was elevated during the procedure. Good luck!!

8. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Having the second one on the 14th. I didn't do the prep right the first time. What good is drinking that awful tasting stuff if you vomit it up I ask you?

I'm gonna chug a lug holding my nose. Then suck on a peppermint candy. Maybe I'll even coat my tongue with honey first! I love honey.

I'll let ya know what the results are.
    I'm assuming went well yours. Thank goodness for that!
    It is very necessary to have one. It could save your life.