Cofffffeeeeee .... how will I live without it???

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by joy, Jul 26, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. joy

joy New Member

HAHA! ;D Isn't that pitiful!!?!! Wasting our dream time on food!?!

2. muzicgirl

muzicgirl Of course, I'm the one in the blue bathing suite!

Natural and organic food markets also sell coffee substitutes. My mom can't have coffee for other health reasons but she drinks roasted chicory- it's a little pricey but delicious!
    -M

3. eng

eng New Member

This is one of the sad things, giving up all the stuff we loved. I have switched from coffee to tea, and it seems ok. I used to drink double expressos and red bull. However, maybe I'll be more clear headed now, and hopefully lose some weight ! (eating healthier )

4. joy

joy New Member

I'm getting used to the 'fake' coffee but it's taking time. My dtr dragged me into Gloria Jeans a couple weeks ago - it's like Starbucks - so she could get a Mocha Chiller and just the smell of the place made me want to cry! ::)

Whenever I made coffee for my office (just me drinking), I'd make it double-strength, so I liked the caffeine as well as the taste. Never tried a Red Bull though ... guess I never will :p

RE losing weight ... constant nausea for three months earlier this year (before Valium & diuretic) helped with that! I dropped 20 lbs.! But, yeah, am eating healthier because of M, so ... ... maybe ... there's a good side to this mess!
    :)

5. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

Eating healthier is good but man its nice to be bad sometimes ;D I miss my sweets! Sugar, caffeine, msg, salt, and onions are all triggers for me! Yet alone no gluten and Im a forced vegetarian due to gall bladder issues. Food is so boring I literally eat to live but Im skinny. I do get the pity looks at family dinners :D They all feel guilty eating in front of me ;D

Your not missing much with Red Bull.

6. dizzy teacher2

dizzy teacher2 New Member

Have you tried decaf?? I can't tell the difference anymore.

7. joy

joy New Member

Yeah, decaf doesn't work either. I still get dizzies & nauseous. Not sure what it is about coffee ... maybe even the slightest caffeine. I had some strong ice tea about a month ago and it set me off, too. Decaf's not completely decaffenated, so maybe I'm just really sensitive to it.

Oh well ... nobody said life would always be easy. ;)

8. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

decaf has at least 3% caffeine in it and sometimes more. There is no way to remove it all. Folks who are sensitive to caffeine need to know this. Black tea, chocolate, many soda drinks and even otc pain meds have lots of caffeine.

9. Violet

Violet New Member

Coffee doesn't bother me if I don't overdo it. I am down to one small cup in the AM--but I trick myself into thinking I'm drinking more by making a big ole cup and sipping it. About halfway down (which is about 6oz) it's cold and nasty, so down the drain it goes. And then that's it. Cheap psychological trick.

I've cut out the afternoon soda. I haven't really noticed a difference though.

10. joy

joy New Member

When my coffee used to get cold, I'd add a little sugar, milk & ice & have an iced cappuccino ;D
    I've been known to put left-over coffee in the ice box and drink it re-heated the next day. (I can hear the coffee connoisseurs groaning!)

11. EARINGER

EARINGER Pug-lover /M-C mechanic/carpenter/E-Bayer

Pick up a box of Emergen-C , its a energy drink you mix with water , containing 1000 mg. ascorbic vitamin C plus 32 vitamins/minerals & micro nutrients . It will give you a real boost without any caffeine and does your body good. It also taste good and comes in different flavors like lemon/lime. Its been around for over 30 years , and I used it when I was younger bodybuilding , when I got sick I started drinking it again and haven"t had a cold or flu since . It comes in 36 packets for under $10.00 at Wal-mart in the health food section . ;D ;D ;D Eric

12. lillyrose

lillyrose Life is short live it not diet.

Joy, I am going to try it also. Went to their site and found the nearest store to me and it is only 15 min. away so I am going for it.

13. joy

joy New Member

I just re-stocked via internet. They had a 'free sample' offer on web, so I bet you could probably get the same offer in person ... store 15 min. away ... I'm jealous! ;D

Just keep in mind: it isn't coffee. It's a coffee substitute.

Eric ... since I don't go to Walmart 8), I haven't had a chance to get any of that Emergen-C, but I'm still hoping to find it somewhere else. Getting another cold or something, so I expect I should have tried it by now :p

14. CdnTBear

CdnTBear Every minute spent in anger is a minute wasted

Wait a minute .... first no salt (my favourite food group) ... now no coffee??? Are you people trying to kill me????

Hubby asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told him I wanted a salt lick.

15. joy

joy New Member

Now, now. Coffee's not a trigger for everybody ;) And I'd rather have salty than sweet, too. I think giving up salty foods has been even harder than giving up coffee. Coffee is at least simple - I mean - coffee's basically ... coffee. Eliminating salty foods takes in soooooo much.

I can't have chocolate either, although I've found 8-10 M&Ms won't affect me. (Pitiful ... I'm counting M&Ms ... used to just tip the bag up and pour 'em in my mouth!)

Christmas this year will definitely be different ... no sugary cookies ... no chocolate ... no flavored coffee ... no fatty cheese or sausages (cholesterol issues as well as the preservatives they put in those things mess with my M, too). Guess I'll tell the kids to fill my stocking with celery. :p

16. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

Joy I know what you mean. I was munching on plain fresh veggies when everyone else had halloween candy :( I dont do dairy, caffeine, high sodium, sugary, gluten, or meats due to intolerances and mm :mad:

17. joy

joy New Member

Geez, AshleysMom ... what CAN you eat? That sounds horrible! I don't know what I'd do without milk ...
    I also eat a lot of bread - usually wheat or grain of some kind. I've survived most of this year on peanut butter & jelly sandwiches & eggs & salads & brown rice ... yeah, that's about it. No wonder I've lost weight.

I feel lousy this morning ... and I think it's because of some spaghetti sauce. Had it Wednesday night - felt bad yesterday. Had leftovers last night & feel bad again. (Don't have to hit me with a brick!) Guess I should have read the ingredients label. On the other hand, it could be sinuses ... or the weather ... or hormones ... or the fact that I'm wearing denim :eek: ;D All I do know is I'd rather be home on the couch doing nothing but watching our new kitten play & harrass the other cats.

18. AshleysMom

AshleysMom New Member

Joy it was tough at first but honestly the worst of it is caffeine sugar and salt. I eat loads of gluten free bread and its only 5 mg of sodium a slice. I eat alot of mock tuna fish, I smash chickpeas for the texture than dump in celery, onion and celery salt along with vegetarian mayonnaise its actually really good. I did cheat on thanksgiving but paid for it, it was worth it though :) I had to do turkey and gf stuffing. Im sick now too, I dont know how you work. It take all my energy up being a sahm to my 3 year old when Im sick. I hope you are able to put your feet up this weekend and I hope you feel better.

19. angels29

angels29 New Member

Hi! Well I am an avid coffee drinker too and thank goodness caffeine isnt one of my triggers! It is for some but Folgers makes a half and half...it is called Simply Smooth I think. It is very good if you think you want to have more than your usual coffee intake. Just as long as it isnt one of your triggers. If it is one of your triggers, I suggest to just have one or two cups..not Pots!! :)

20. Venus

Venus New Member

Joy,

What about some nice decaf. herbal tea. Chamomile-Celestial seasonings is one of my fav.'s