Chronic Dizziness Vs. Vertigo

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by dizzykitty, Mar 9, 2007.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. burd

burd New Member

Another area of serious consideration:
    I'm learning about trigger point therapy. Very small spasms can occur in our muscles anywhere in our body like little knots, sometimes they can even be felt, and they can cause all sorts of problems that mimic other things and often end up in all kinds of misdiagnosis. These little spasms interfere with blood flow and electrical current flow and that in turn affects the signals sent out from the brain and recieved back again. They can also restrict movement. When they occur in our necks, upper back/shoulder areas, and on our chest, that they can attribute to what many of us are experiencing with our meniere's symptoms.

Here's an excerpt from a widely known and respected book, when speaking of trigger points in the neck:

"..they are apt to make you dizzy, nauseous, and prone to lurching or falling. Fainting may occur unexpectedly. This dizziness can last for minutes, hours, or days. Often given a diagnosis of vertigo or Meniere's disease, it can become a lifelong recurrent condition, defying all treatments and medical explanation."
    (The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, 2nd edition, Clair Davies, NCTMB )

What's great is that working through these trigger points is something that can be done a few times a day for only a few minutes at a time to get relief. If trigger points aren't worked out, they may never work out on their own. Occuring in all parts of the body they can cause pain, restricted muscle movement, and all kinds of symptoms that mock other conditions which are so often treated ineffectively. Trouble is, most doctors haven't been taught this stuff. It's not hocus-pocus, suspicious alternative therapy, it's been around for a long time, can be measured, seen, and felt. Those that have dealt with them have very real results. They are not to be confused with pressure points.

This book is awesome.

2. csmhiggy

csmhiggy New Member

I have the chronic dizziness also. Some days I would call it "lightheadedness" more though. My ENT says I have Benign Positional Vertigo with Atypical symptoms of Meniere's. I just had the steroid injection into my right ear on Friday, 11Jan08. Everything I have read on the subject say my symptoms may get worse for a while before I see any improvement. I felt great on Sat & Sun, then on Monday and Tuesday I didn't feel good at all. I took Meclizine at night both nights and last night my right ear was aching, so I ended up taking a pain pill. This morning I feel a little better, still lightheaded tho. The tinnitus eased up on Sat & Sun, but came back full force on Monday and I still have it again. I also would like to talk to someone who has had this injection to see if my symptoms are tracking and if they will get better also. This is my first time on this site and would like any pointers on which is the bet way to go on this site. Thanks in advance.

3. Cara

Cara New Member

I have chronic daily dizziness also, frequent bouts of nausea, worse in the morning and again at night. I was told that this is common with meniere's . I have only had a few terrible, in bed attacks of vertigo.. I have the constant tinnitus, sometimes overwhelming, makes me crazy!!! I am always off balance, I move slower now, on purpose, when I forget and get in a hurry, I end up face first in a wall or door frame. But I understood all these symptoms to be pretty typical. My mri was excellent. I am however scheduled for septoplasty and turbinate reduction in March, and recently begun allergy injections.

4. amberini

amberini New Member

5. captainsaffi

captainsaffi New Member

I have chronic dizziness due to vestibular damage from multiple surgeries, but I also have Meniere's Disease with all the symptoms of that. This is according to my doctor. The chronic dizziness is a separate problem from my Meniere's. My Meniere's causes daily vertigo attacks instead, and everyone here is right, we can all tell the difference!

6. GerriK

GerriK New Member

Hi, I also have chronic dizzeness, sensitive to light and loud noises. Ear fulleness, sinus issues, brain fog. Two ENT Dr says its Menieres without a doubt. I have this about 15 years now. Nothing seems to bring it on just happens. Things could be wonderful and it will happen. The worse thing in my life could be happening and I may not get dizzy. Just comes when my ears seem really full and I get very off balance.

Gerri

7. burd

burd New Member

You sound like a textbook case of MAV. (Migraine Associated Vertigo)  You can have this without ever having headaches.  I quoted some information from a book that explains it all very well on page 3 of this thread (the first comment, not the 2nd one about trigger point therapy).

8. GrandmaLynn

GrandmaLynn New Member

I would suggest you check with your ENT again on the dizziness. I still have spells of dizziness but not all the time although at one time they were chronic. My ENT was great and took care of the spells in his office. Something to do with the calcium crystals out of place. I'd love to tell you what it's called but my memory isn't doing too well today. My vertigo is constant and for the last 4 weeks has gotten worse but I'm very lucky to only have a little nausea to go with it. My neurologist was useless with his diagnosing me. Just keep on looking and know you aren't alone. This place has been a God-send for me.
    GrandmaLynn

9. spiritwimpy

spiritwimpy New Member

Reply: Chronic Dizziness Vs. Vertigo

Hi Kitty, I only have my opinion on gentamyacin, if you decide to go with it, tell them to run the drip very slowly.!!
    Your physician would be the best judge of your need, also speak with your GP as well. I would consult with both, then make my decision accordingly
    I would love to know if it helped anyone who may have had it run??
    Carol

10. cherylB

cherylB New Member

My Dad who is a sufferer is in Hospital at the moment with MM because he lives alone he has had to be kept in, this latest attack came on on Friday (2 days ago) he is still really suffering from the dizzyness & vomiting, although they are giving him anti sickness drugs.
    He cannot move his head from side to side let alone sit or stand, he has a water infection & the doctors are saying this is one of the reasons the attack is lasting so long.
    Has anyone else heard of this being a factor?????

11. rabs1

rabs1 New Member

This is my first post on this forum,I dont think i have menieres.About 3 years ago i accidently hit my ear drum with a cotton bud and now i suffer from mild dizziness and blurs vision all the time,But if my neck plays up it gets severe.

I have tried different techniques like shaking my head side to side while focusing on black lines (not good with a bad neck), and also walking in a straight line down a hall way with my eyes shut and it hasnt worked.

I have had my ears examined and there is no damage to my ear drums.I have not been able to find a forum that i can talk with others about my condition so i can get some ideas,Until i found this one.Cheers rabs1

12. littlefin

littlefin New Member

I dont like the idea of Gent Shots. But if you do get them and it helps let me know.

13. LisaMarie

LisaMarie Scuba Diving in Key West

I also have the brain fog and severe lack of memory. I get up to do something and I have no idea what it was. I now say outloud what i am going to do because I know in about 25 seconds I will be asking my husband what I just said I was going to do. i feel like a complete idiot.

14. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

LisaMarie -

What is the severe memory loss from, do you know? Do you take specific medicines that can cause this? Has anyone explained why you have it so severe?

15. feelbizarre

feelbizarre New Member

LisaMarie, that's how I have been for most of the day today! I was having this intense discussion with my husband, one of my kid's interrupted me and for the life of me I could not remember what we were even talking about. absolutely nothing would jar it back either. It comes and goes with me, more frequent around period time.

16. LisaMarie

I wish I knew, but it has been going on since about March when I was diagnosed. I am only on meclizine for the dizziness/vertigo. I do know that my dizziness and vertigo is not positional vertigo, which is usually caused by bits of calcium moving inside , and they hit the hairs that help with balance and make you dizzy.

I worry about becoming too forgetfull to do my job. Everyone that works for me now knows to remind me of everything, repeatedly.

Tumbleweed describes most of the days of my life since March. I can be mid sentence and forget where I am going on any new info. Stuff I have known for a long time is still there, it seems to be short term memory.

17. Mya46

Lisa Marie -

Have you ever been tested for Lyme Disease, that's a symptom. I don't think Menieres affects memory like that, just my opinion. I'd follow up on it, have you seen a neurologist about the memory issue, had MRI? I had LYME and blame a lot of my symptoms on it and you don't need to test positive to have LYME. Just trying to help ya!!! I'm from CT, home of LYME disease.
    :-\

18. LisaMarie

Thank MYa,
    I don't think I have Lyme, but it is rampant here in RI too. I did have an MRI, all the hearing tests, etc. I do go deaf in my left ear. I go deaf about 1-10 times per day, for various lengths of time. It was five bouts of near total deafness in two weeks that drove me crazy enough to see the doc back in March. I made no connection at that point with the weird dizziness I had for months before. I also have the tinnitus bad in the MM ear (Left) and also in my right ear. I only get the severe vertigo when I am in full attack mode, which sucks big time. I am dizzy 24/7, just a fact of life for me now.

19. Mya46

Well you get yourself a LYME test!!! RI is full of it as well, neighbor! ;)