Christians and Christmas

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by Aladdin, Nov 6, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

joy's thought as not to hijack shining's pagan music thread...

as I the same, I celebrate His birth and mourn His death and also celebrate His death for His death gave me eternal life - the date and month are just symbolic - I wish we could celebrate Christmas all year round but we can not it is not PC -= however, we can celebrate Jesus' birth and crucifiction/resurretion always in our heart - I send presents to people (modest presents) all year long as I am continually grateful for their friendship :)

2. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

some churches won't even have Christmas trees and there are also many bible belt churches that wont even mention the word Christmas...to me Christmas is a time where some people who are usually a scrooge (even many Christians) open up their hearts a little bit and well people seem kinder and nicer - I love giving to people - especially children and I also love the feelings and memories of Christmas (that was momma's favorite holiday) and well not to mention the tree and the lights - but that's really all it is - lights, trees, shiny paper, lovely music, - but the real meaning of Christmas comes from the heart - a love and joy to give to others - extend a helping hand, make time for friends and family - feed someone in need - you see that spirit of Christmas should be with us all year long - we don't need a date or tree to remind us that - we need compassion every day of our life and of course Jesus' birth - regardless whatever day - should always be held dear in our hearts as well - as the wise men gave presents to Him, the Inn keeper gave him a room when there was none - all these acts of kidness should be held near our hearts and especially Christians should do these kind deeds all year long - not just during the Christmas season :) - i'm rambling, I still have the flu and am so very tired

3. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U2G8wsbXBo&feature=related
    Mary Did You Know

(even if you can not hear words please try and watch)

4. joy

joy New Member

Thanks T.

We can get all caught up in what non Christians do and think and feel about Christmas. We can get caught up in the 'materialism' for sure - that's easy when they start putting out the Christmas stuff before Halloween. But when it comes right down to it, Christmas is the time that's been chosen to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

I love going to the mall during the Christmas season ... the crowds, etc. I really do!! (Obviously I don't have meniere's!) I love the excitement. I love Church especially during Christmas - the celebration, the songs, the anticipation, all the FOOD!

BUT ... if one of the 'powers-that-be' decided to change the date of Christmas to July 29th I'd go along & celebrate by decorating a palm tree ... dress the plastic santa in shorts & a tank-top ... go caroling in a sundress ...

It's not about the day ... or the tree ... or the gifts ... it's about a Savior.

5. joy

joy New Member

Matthew 5:11-12 (New International Version)

11 "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

After thinking about all that the Apostle Paul went through & Peter ... & so many others not just way back then, but in this century ... I think I can deal with being spewed at now & then because of my faith in Christ.

6. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Thanks Aladdin and Joy! This has been most interesting! :)

7. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

thank you that was the verse I was looking for :)

However, Jesus did warn his disciples and others that people would persecute and ridicule them just because of His name (I know from some of my publications)...but that does not give Christians the right to judge or be arrogant and proudful as I've seen Christians in 'real life' act that way and justify by the same verse. My friend whom shall be nameless (hmmm. headnoise) reminded me that we as Christians are to live by example innocent as doves wise as ....(don't know that verse either) ...there is a fine line sometimes isn't there? (speaking to no one in particular)

I've got another song to post it is lovely :)

8. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

amen

ps: I'd sure like it if the powers to be declared that I personally could celebrate my birthday every month (except not get older) :)
    note to self: send my address to whomever wants to send me presents :) LOL

9. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Oh my...you are just a bundle of humor....even when you are ill! :)

10. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8EWMdgiINg&feature=related
    What Child Is This

11. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

not sure if it's humor or just the irish in me - cantankerous I've been called by some :)

12. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8EWMdgiINg&feature=related

my favorite - Watch The Lamb

13. joy

joy New Member

Right when they show Him in the garden, I turned it off. I always cry ...

14. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

awesome, just truly awesome! :)

15. paris 48

paris 48 New Member

Very powerfull!
    Thanks for posting this!

16. leviticus

leviticus Jonah's whale

Christmas is about GIVING!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,Thats what Jesus did!!! He gave all He could,, and you if think about it He gave to those WHO could not give back,,,what can we give Jesus?? How about some LOVE, and telling others about HIS LOVE,,,, Christmas helps remind all of us of what Jesus came to earth for,, TO GIVE!!

17. burd

burd New Member

I felt the need to post here also since I was brought into it with the very first post. Please note I am in no way wanting to hurt anyone's heart or disrespect them about their faith, Christian or otherwise.

For those that adhere to and respect the word of God, the Bible is very clear about the need for truth, and is very clear about God's disapproval when people mix Christianity with things that are not Christian, from the very beginning of history. I was only presenting the facts about the mixing of Christianity with what is pagan concerning Christmas, which everyone can easily research for themselves. Facts are facts. I am only the messenger. Would your God be satisfied with his truth being compromised with pagan beliefs? Throughout history people have worshiped God with love and truth, and have done that without mixing in pagan celebration.

For me to make that compromise knowing how God feels about adulterating his pure worship with paganism would make me feel sullied. I would question how he could approve of what I was doing. How would a person feel if their birthday was mixed with something they detest, and on a day that suited someone else's agenda for selfish reasons, and not with truth? Would that be completely acceptable to you and would you feel honored?

If the facts behind Christmas and Easter do not bother you or make you question if it is acceptable in the eyes of your God, then I wish for it to be what it needs to be for you. What a person wishes to do with what they know is their business and between them and God. It only makes sense to me that people would, and should, want to know what it is they are participating in.

I can't be the only one that has questioned these things. As I respect your choices and beliefs and decisions I can only hope for the same in return, although believing what is not mainstream I honestly don't expect that to happen. It's just the nature of the way things go.
    I am sorry if I offended anyone.

18. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

The beauty is not in the day - december 25th the beauty is in the miracle of Jesus birth and gift to all man kind - He came and lived and died so that we would have eternal life - if humans need a day to celebrate and remember his life and death...although it is maybe not accurage on the calendar than so be it - does it matter which date? no - what matters is that we as humans and believers in Christ acknowledge His birth and death and what He came to earth to accomplish - eternal life for all those who believe. Ideally we would acknowledge Jesus life and death every day and every act of kidnness would be because of His gifts but in reality many people (including many Christians) need a reason or excuse to be kind and generous - that is the saddness of the situation not the date... :)
    gentle hugs and prayers
    just my 1.5 cents (inflation and all ) :)

19. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Burd, do not apologize for your beliefs! Thank you for sharing that!

20. burd

burd New Member

T., your faith and love is a beautiful thing.
    xoxo