chicken salad with a zing

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Shining, Oct 23, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Shining

Shining "knowing is half the battle" ~~~GI Joe

One large cooked chicken breast
    2-3 small sprigs of fresh cilantro
    1/2 small stalk chopped celery
    Pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning or Mrs Dash
    1 ripe avocado
    1 whole wheat pita pocket or two slices of sprouted grain bread.
    1-2 tablespoons of low fat/olive oil mayo
    1/2 Horned Melon

Take the large cooked chicken breast and cut into small cubes. Add 1/2 a mashed ripe avocado and the rest of it cut into small cubes. Add about a tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro, 1/2 a chopped stalk of celery, pepper to taste, and the Seasoning or Mrs Dash. Scrape out the jelly-like center of 1/2 of the horned melon, mix in, add the mayo, and toss lightly. The horned melon is a member of the cucumber family and adds a bit of zing. You can either stuff a whole wheat pita pocket with the mixture, or use two slices of sprouted grain bread. (Ezekial bread for example.)

"The Kiwano (also known as the Horned Melon, melano, African horned cucumber, jelly melon, hedged gourd, and/or English tomato) is a fruit native to a region of the Kalahari Desert. When picked green and allowed to ripen, the fruit tastes like a mix of cucumber and kiwifruit. When it's picked fully ripe, it has a banana-like taste." :)

2. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Shining! Oh MY-LANTA...this sounds wonderful! I have one...similar to this, but I add cashews and onions. I've swapped cashews for slivered almonds...mmmm, this has been a hit at family gatherings! :)