Chicken Chili - Low Sodium

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by snkrey1211, Oct 8, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

CHICKEN CHILI - LOW SODIUM

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    chicken broth, enough to cover chicken
    3 - 14 oz cans of diced tomatoes, no sodium
    1 - 15 oz can red kidney beans
    1 - 15 oz can northern beans
    1 - 15 oz can corn, drained
    4 stalks celery, diced
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tsp. Cumin
    2 tsp. Paprika
    3 tsp. Chili Powder
    1 tsp. red pepper flakes (we use 2 tsp. we like it hot)...so use more or less on how hot you want it
    1 Tbs. sugar

Boil chicken in broth for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly. Once chicken is cooked, shred chicken...pull apart into big chunks. Discard chicken broth.

In a large pot, add all ingredients, mix together and bring to boil, stir often. Cover and let simmer, for 20-25 minutes (until celery is tender)...stir often.

Serve over Farfalle noodles, over rice, or in a bread bowl. Garnish with a dollup of sour cream and sprinkle cheddar cheese over top.

2. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

This looks like it would taste great. I think I am going to try it this week!

3. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

SMRoz....its really easy...and a family favorite at my house! I hope you like it! :) Just watch the chili powder...it contains sodium...Everything else was no sodium, ie...beans, corn.

Sheryl

4. SMRoz

SMRoz Coast Guard Dizzy! (Ret)

I will have to leave out the corn. My wife has Ulcerative Collitus UC (spell check is off) and cannot eat corn. Though as with MM we are all learning to adjust recipies to suit our needs. I am looking forward to it. Thank you again!

5. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

6. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

7. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

just made this again the other night.....might I say.....YUMMMM!