cause of meniere's--anxiety/stress?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by wbfree, Oct 4, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. tamarak

tamarak New Member

Orion--could you post me (pm) me that post you made? I just loved how you expressed it. And I want to keep it--so, I'll be heading to an internet cafe to print it out--but I'm afraid it might take me awhile and I don't want to lose track of this (great) thread.

Tamara

2. sparksmith

sparksmith New Member

The problem with an idiopathic syndrome like meniere’s is there are as many articles as there are speculations about its origin. Until they figure out how to cure it they will not know what causes it. If this seems backward to you I agree but until you have cured something you can not know for sure the cause. I take this from the Dr. who told me of my DX. He said “I can not be sure that this is causing your dizziness, it probably is but since we can not operate on it we will never know for sure.” It is sort of like having an electrical problem in your house. Why doesn’t a light work or some things do and some don’t. I can’t tell you for sure why you have an electrical problem until I fix it. Then if the problem goes away we know why you had the problem. There are of course things that always go wrong and I can answer these questions but there are those that can only be answered by being fixed. Thus the term idiopathic.

3. tamarak

tamarak New Member

Hi Sparksmith...good to see you post! And to learn a bit about your trade, too!

Tamara

4. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hi Orion,

What a great perspective. I agree wholeheartedly.....I just wish I could look at it all as positively! You're right though, for some of us mm can be a fortunate wake up call. It all depends on what we do with the information/dx.

Amethyst

5. oaktree8

oaktree8 New Member

Hi everyone--

I also have lived most of my life with extreme anxiety, and I've also wondered about the connection with Meniere's. I recently found some interesting information while googling that you might be interested in:

Anxiety puts a drain on the adrenals, right? The adrenals put out a hormone called aldosterone, and aldosterone regulates the sodium and potassium levels in the body. Here's a quote from the Meniere's page compilation of treatments page (I couldn't figure out how to copy the link and the quote, sorry):

"These adjustments are achieved by a number of hormones, including aldosterone, which control the amount of ion transport performed by the kidney. There is now some evidence that changes in hormones such as aldosterone may also affect ion transport processes in the ear, in some way altering the way endolymph is regulated."

Isn't that interesting? There's so much we don't know yet about the mind/body connection, as Orion said--may they learn more soon!

6. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

I agree that no one truly knows what causes Menieres. I don't think mine had anything to do with anxiety bringing it on, because at that time in my life--- it was honestly the most stress free I had ever been. I was living the all American dream life. I truly didn't even know stress and was honestly one of the most laid back people that I even knew. During stressful times at work, I thrived, they didnt bother me at all. Almost nothing could get me in a stir.
    Now reverse back and add 8 months of horrible symptoms, hospitalizations, getting to the point I was so weak and the doctors honestly didn't know if I would make it-- I did develop anxiety and what a hell of a feeling.
    Even now that I know it is severe allergic reactions, vocal cord dysfunction and Menieres that I'm suffering from..... I still have periods of anxiety that really get to me.
    There is only so much that a body can take before it does result in anxiety or depression.
    That has been well documented and studied with many, many chronic illnesses.

I will say now- that stress will bring on anxiety and will definitely contribute to my having a full fledge vertigo attack..... but I will also say that when I start having dizziness out of the blue, then I start feeling anxious and those darn symptoms just play off of each other.

7. dizzy_banker

dizzy_banker one a good day at the office...

I think my first attack on Aug 15 2006 was stress related but again, I am new to this. Last friday, I was really stressed out because I was going to return to work on Monday the 2nd, and got the spins from that...so it seems to effect me when I feel stressed out and I have had a butt load of stress this year with my job.
    Just another opinion....my best friend, is valium these days.

8. wbfree

wbfree New Member

Thanks to all who responded---may we all know the cause and cure of this someday soon!

9. sparrow

sparrow Guest

JW ~

In my allergists office today, directly after getting bad news about my lung, I had a spinning attack. Now my spinning has been gone for about 7 weeks and the sense of dizziness was down to a 3 (1 out of 10, 10 being the worst). But as I was standing in the lobby leaving the docs office I had to fall to the floor because there was nothing to grab onto. Most of the way home I got the spins, now it's down to an occasional spin and my balance is coming back - 9 hours later, but it was seriously scary in my docs office today.

I do believe that the bad news caused the spins.

Sparrow

10. Buzx1313

Buzx1313 New Member

yep without a doubt stress/anxiety do make things worse,,, also supermarket isles...

if i get stressed my vertigo goes haywire!!