Canadians, question

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by June-, Feb 1, 2014.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

What does 'partner' mean? Would a wife refer to her husband as 'my partner' ?

2. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

very good question ???

3. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Married people call each other all kinds of things.

4. redwing1951

redwing1951 New Member

Amen!

5. June-

June- New Member

Aw, common people :D seriously, what does the term mean re a couple?

6. winsome

winsome Misplaced Dumbass

Good question. 'Partner' sounds like a business arrangement and 'Significant other' is too twee. So what should I call the person I've been with for 15 years but never actually married? Too old (both 50's) for boyfriend/girlfriend. Don't know if any Canadians have the answer, but this Brit struggles with it!

7. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Marriage IS a partnership and it needs to be an arrangement based on equality. If one doesn't consider it a partnership, something is seriously flawed in the relationship.

Terms I disagree with and don't use: my better half, my DH/DW, my significant other.

What does it mean in terms of a couple? Exactly that! A partner, a companion, someone you cherish. That's what it means to me anyway. I don't think there is one correct answer regardless of which country one comes from.

It irks me when some people automatically associate the word partner with being in a gay relationship. That's so idiotic.

8. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

51/49......partnership :D

9. June-

June- New Member

I am trying to figure out the common parlance, ie if a Canadian woman who refers to her male companion with whom she lives as her 'partner' is using a common term for spouse or she uses the term to say they are not married. I dont know because Canadians talk different, lol. You know they say zed, so who knows what they mean? I thought I had heard a Canadian here refer to her husband as partner once. Where I live, it would mean business partner but isnt usually used re personal relationships.

10. June-

June- New Member

I am trying to figure out if this couple is married.

11. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

That's easy. Ask them :D

12. June-

June- New Member

Noooo! :D I cant do that, I just met them!

13. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Oh my goodness, yes you can :p Just say something about how long they've been together. I'd just ask.

14. June-

June- New Member

but they might say 10 years but that wont tell me if they are married

15. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Why do you care?
    Would you think any more or less of them if they were or weren't married? What matters is If they are happy in their relationship.

16. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Just ask.

17. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

I have heard "partner" used many times in a same-sex relationship.

18. June-

June- New Member

It doesnt matter, I am just trying to understand hat the word means when used in canada.

19. June-

June- New Member

This couple is not same sex.

20. Janice

Janice New Member

I can't answer for Canadians but I know that down under if you introduce someone as your partner then it's the person you cohabit with to whom you are not married.