Campbells Soup question

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Daize, Oct 8, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Daize

Daize New Member

I use to make casseroles, but, haven't for a long time. Most ingriedients include Campbells soups...ex: cream of celery, cream of mushroom and these have MSG in them. So what am I to do, I use to add the soups and the casseroles tasted so good, but, with menieres the salt content and MSG....never got dizzy, but, felt I had to stop making that.

Want thoughts on this.

:)

2. Sally Forth

Sally Forth Guest

I make my own cream soups from scratch. If I want to use them in a casserole, I make them thicker than I would if we were going to have a bowl of soup. They taste better than canned and I can control the ingredients. My DIL who is a fussy eater loves my casseroles made with home made soup.

3. Aznalla

Aznalla New Member

Sally, do you have recipes for cream soups?

4. Sally Forth

Sally Forth Guest

This is from Food Network Canada: I substitute broccoli, or celery for the mushrooms. I tweak the ingredients, seasoning, etc. to suit us. If I make broccoli soup, I use celery and onions and melt cheese at the very end.

A recipe is merely words on paper; a guideline, a starting point from which to improvise. It cannot pretend to replace the practiced hand and telling glance of a watchful cook. For that reason feel free to stir your own ideas into this dish. When you cook it once, it becomes yours, so personalize it a bit. Add more of an ingredient you like or less of something you don't like. Try substituting one ingredient for another. Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!

Ingredients:
    Cream of Mushroom Soup

* 1 stick (4 ounces or 1/2 cup) of butter
    * 2 pounds button mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
    * 3 x onions, peeled and chopped
    * 4 cups rich chicken broth
    * 2 cups milk (recipe called for cream, but I use milk)
    * 1 tbsp or more of chopped fresh thyme ( I omit this)
    * 3 tbsp corn starch
    * 1/4 cup water
    * Salt and pepper

Directions:
    Cream of Mushroom Soup

1. Place a large saucepot over medium high heat. Add the butter, mushrooms and onions. Sauté until lightly browned. The mushrooms will initially release a lot of moisture, which will eventually evaporate allowing them to brown. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Add the chicken broth and milk, stir well and bring to a simmer. Add the thyme and continue cooking for a few minutes. Meanwhile stir the cornstarch into a ¼-cup of water. Add the mixture slowly to the simmering soup, stirring until it returns to the simmer and thickens slightly. If you prefer your soup a bit thicker feel free to add more cornstarch. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.

5. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

I've used my girl Paula Deen's advice and added a nice glob of mayonnaise :eek: to some of my casseroles.....it has less sodium than the canned soup, and adds a nice creaminess. :D :D :D

6. Aznalla

Aznalla New Member

Thanks for the recipe

7. snkrey1211

snkrey1211 New Member

Daize, do the soups with low sodium also contain the MSG????

Sheryl

8. burd

burd New Member

I make a white sauce with whatever veggie is needed, or just a garlic black pepper white sauce with no added veggies.  Instead of cream of mushroom soup, I'll saute the mushrooms in a generous amount of butter till soft, add flour and stir till bubbly, then add milk and stir until smooth and bubbly.  (about 3 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons of flour for 1 cup of milk)  You can thin it if you want with broth and simmer slow. For the garlic version be sure to let the garlic simmer slowly in melted butter as long as possible for the best flavor, low heat so it doesn't burn so easily. Be careful about broth as most have msg and high sodium.  I use a brand called Pacific natural foods Organic Vegetable Broth, low sodium.  Delicious!

Check out any health food stores in your area for organic msg-free soups. There's so much stuff available in specialty stores you'll never seen in a mainstream supermarket. I'm sure there's probably someone out there that makes msg-free cream soups.  I haven't investigated it too deeply as cream soups contain dairy products that I can't have so I can't pass on any brand names for you to check out with that specifically.

9. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

I also use mayonnaise as deercharmer does. cream cheese is also delightful for soups and casseroles.
    All of my soups are from scratch, been doing it for years. It is more fun that opening a can and a bit of a challenge that I enjoy.