Broccoli Slaw (Not low sodium)

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by shartsoe, Aug 25, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Broccoli Slaw Salad
    Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes

12 ounces broccoli slaw mix
    2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1/2 red onion , chopped
    1/4 cup "Craisins"
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

per serving: 195 calories; 2 grams protein; 16 grams total fat; 1 gram fiber; 2 grams saturated fat; 12 grams carbohydrates; 12 mgs cholesterol; 138 mgs sodium; 6 WW points plus

[1] Rinse broccoli slaw mix with cold water; drain well and set aside. Cook bacon in a small skillet over medium high heat until crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside on paper towels to drain and cool. Crumble when cool.

[2] While bacon is cooking, stir together mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar in a large bowl; add slaw, onion, and Craisins, tossing gently to coat. Cover and chill if not serving right away. Sprinkle with bacon and, if desired, walnuts just before serving.

2. tm53

tm53 New Member

Thanks!

Not high sodium either, abouit the same as a slice of bread. Sounds good, I've never seen broccoli slaw mix, will look for it.

I'll prpbably skip the walnuts, not a fan, though I know a lot of people are.

3. goofygirl

goofygirl WDE!!!

Mmmmmmm....

4. tm53

tm53 New Member

Please forgive the spelling. What am I saying, you are a bunch of MMr's too, you know.

5. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I got the slaw mix at Wal Mart, which means you should be able to get it pretty much anywhere. And, if you're going by the "serving size" to tell you what your sodium consumption will be, I would pretty much throw that out the window! I had a hard time sticking to a serving. ;D

You could get by w/o walnuts, but the bacon, onions and dried cranberries really add some zip.

Yes, we do know about the spelling! Worse since we lost our edit function. :)

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

I gave the recipe to my mil who loves it! If I remove all the things I don't eat, I'm left with the broccoli & the walnuts :D

7. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I'm glad she likes it. It's super easy to make and will probably be my "go to" recipe for pot lucks and such. It tastes much harder than it is.