bread machine

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Diagnosed05-31-11, Jun 20, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Diagnosed05-31-11

Diagnosed05-31-11 New Member

I want to buy a good bread maker. Can anyone give me recs?

2. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I have a very old Breadman, which has been very good. However, it seems like the newer Breadman models are less dependable than they used to be.

I've heard absolute raves about the Zojirushi breadmakers, which are more expensive.

You might look at all the ratings and reviews on models offered through Amazon--people post back to report their experiences, and I've found this very helpful for other things.

3. Diagnosed05-31-11

Diagnosed05-31-11 New Member

4. So Cal Cyclist

So Cal Cyclist View Askew

If you have a good Kitchen Aid you don't need a bread machine. Once I figured out the bread making process I found it truly limiting to use a machine that only gave me one size loaf. The amount of time to process the loaves is the same. The only thing the bread machine does for you is have all of the process tied up in a machine that is on your counter for a number of hours. The Kitchen Aid with its dough hook attachment and large mixing bowl can do the kneading for you. Just cover the bowl when done to let the dough rise the first time. Form and shape your loaf for the second rising (if you care to) put it in the oven and bake away. Simple.

5. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I use both my KitchenAid and my bread machine.

I use the KitchenAid to beat the batter (gluten-free breads use a stiff batter rather than dough, and require a lot of beating--the bread machines just don't do a good enough job on that score), and then dump it in the bread machine to rise and bake.

The bread machine just gives me a little bit more convenience--I can walk away for 1 1/2-2 hours, rather than having to come back and turn the oven on. That can make a big difference if you need an uninterrupted chunk of time for work, or to schlep kids to and from activities.