Brain Fog

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by dizzykitty, Sep 28, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dizzykitty

dizzykitty New Member

Hi Everyone. I am a long time reader but a shy poster. I have a question regarding Brain Fog. Does anyone know what causes it and how can I get rid of it? I have been suffering with Menieres since 2001. Some days are better than others. Recently my brain fog has been so bad that I can't even remember my own phone number. Is there anything that I can take or do to relieve some of this confusion. I work full time and this is getting to the point that I may have to quit my job. My job is very stressful and I think that stress is a trigger for my episodes. Any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kitty

2. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Hi Kitty and welcome to forum,

As I understand it, brain fog is caused by the brain’s increased need to tend to balance and eye stability issues caused by erroneous ear signals. In effect, the brain is overloaded. I am not sure if there is any “cure” except to wait for the healing process in the inner ear to take hold and thereby reduce the amount of faulty signaling.

My brain fog lasted a good three years before quieting down. At first I got a day’s reprieve and then this extended itself to many days. Now, I do not have this symptom anymore. There is hope that it will go away on its own accord.

W

3. 2DAMNDIZZY

2DAMNDIZZY New Member

I dont know what causes it but I have it a lot. I am really bad about repeating myself and not remembering that I had already said it the first time. Just like today, I yelled for my oldest daughter to come and set the table and a minute later I did it again ???

Maggie

4. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

The brain fog I experience seems to come and go just like the attacks do. I can't figure any reason for them. Stress seems to make it worse if I am already having brain fog--but on the other hand there are days that I'm under a lot of stress and still don't have the brain fog. If you figure out a trigger for it let us all know.

Willie Marie

5. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

Kitty - go to the data base area and read the post I made on Brain fog or click here and it will take you there. http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,79.0.html

In a nut shell, when you suffer from a chronic condition that disturbs your ability to function, hearing, noisy ears, deafness and trying to stay balanced all take up a larger part of your cognitive skills limiting your usual ability to multi-task and do other things.

What one was taken for granted (hearing and balance for instance) and demanded no concentration has become your focal point. Therefore your cognitive functions have failed and you have what we refer to as brain fog. Read the whole article - it will explain it much better than I can possibly do.

Hope all this helps. ??? ???

6. Andrea1962

Andrea1962 New Member

I noticed today that the brain fog issue seemed a bit better at work. I suspect it has something to do with having been off work for almost 2 weeks, which leads me to believe that fatigue has a significant role in this.

7. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

Kitty,

You might try vestibular rehab therapy (VRT). I was taught how to retrain my brain to it's new balance setpoint (to ignore the bad ear and rely more on the eyes, ankles and good ear for balance info). This helped my brainfog because my brain didn't have to work so hard at keeping me upright.

Also I find that memory games, or brain type games help me keep my brain active which has help ed with my memory.

Tracy

8. sparrow

sparrow Guest

Hi Kitty ~ for me, I have to take alot of mini breakes during the day. I usually find a quiet place and nestle down and just zone out and try to do some meditation or just to quiet my mind. Usually in about 10 minutes, I can find my mind and go back to my chore at hand.

I understand in a stress packed work environment, this may not be easy. However, I did find that in one job I had, one of my co-workers prayed everyday for an hour and her quiet time was respected. She just hung a sign outside her door and everyone honored this time she needed. Just a thought.

Sparrow

9. minnesotadizzy

minnesotadizzy New Member

My brain fog is here one day and not the next. I have been trying it figure it out and thought forget... just makes me worse. I just live with it and accept for now.

10. burd

burd New Member

Once I started taking lemon bioflavanoids some of that cleared for me on a daily basis. I still get it but it's not as bad as it was and is aggravated with lack of proper sleep or stress.

11. dizzykitty

dizzykitty New Member

Wow thanks for all the information. It helps to know that I am not alone. I forgot about the database. That is the Brain Fog talking. I have it 24 hours a day.

I think I am going to try Lemon Bioflavanoids and definitely I am going to look for a new doctor.

Thanks Again.

Kitty

12. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

Mini breaks help a lot and I find most importantly, extra sleep at night. I always needed at least nine hours.

13. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

Vestibular Rehab really helped me to cope better. It would be well worth your time if you can find a good VR therapist. I had a great one.

Willie Marie

14. floco

floco New Member

I suffered from severe brain fog, but was told it was possibly caused by fibromyalgia. I now take Provigil which really helps. I understand with Meniere's, we're not supposed to drink coffee. Today is my 1st day drinking decaf because my hearing right now is so bad. My sleep physician is the one who prescribed the Provigil. Not being able to "wake" up increased my stress, but I was too sleepy to get upset! Good luck. Floco

15. caron1477

caron1477 New Member

I used vinpocetine for brain fog and it seemed to help me alot. There are some issues about taking vinpocetine, so you may want to do a search and read up on it before you take it - - but it helped me tremendously when I suffered from brain fog. Now I just suffer from old 'timers disease. :D

You may also want to check out the wheat/gluten connection and brain fog.

Hope better days are ahead for you.

16. SMC

SMC Look for the footprints in the sand......

HI Kitty

When I was still able to work the joke around my office is here comes the post it note queen. If I don't write it down, it's gone. If I don't have a copy of what I'm attempting to do , I don't have a clue how to start it. Been that way for over a year now. I wish that I could tell you how to deal with it in a more positive manner, but writing things down helps me.
    SherryC

17. Carlson

Carlson New Member

Re: Brain FogTO DIZZYKITTY

Dizzykitty,
    I read on the top of your post that you take natural diuretics. What do you take. I can't take the RX Dyazide they prescribed as it causes potassium imblances and also my blood pressure gets too low. I also take lemon bioflavenoids and also what helps me is grape seed extract pills.
    Also a low sodium diet and no dairy. I feel my MM is also allergy induced or that is at least a big trigger. Mainly I think environmental allergies.
    Anyway I would appreciate the name of the natural diuretic you take.
    Is it herbal?
    thx
    Carlson :)

18. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

I would love to have the name of the natural diuretic.

I hate it that the brain fog leaves me looking like an idiot. I use words that make no sense in the sentence I'm saying at the moment. "I need to put the laundry in the refrigerator." for example. I wish I could just think straight. At work they don't realize how I struggle and dont' understand that I'm not as fast as I used to be or why I'm making more mistakes than before. Does the brain fog ever go away?

Willie Marie