BRAIN FOG-Cognitive Aspects of Vestibular Disorders

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by dizzjo, Sep 27, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. mangolover

mangolover I will sleep when I am dead

Thanks so much for posting this article. I truly didn't quite get it when my loved one said he was having a foggy day. Now I think I can better realize what he has been trying to tell me. Thanks again!

2. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Alot of brain talk in the living room...thought I would bump this up.

3. DizzyWIBlonde

DizzyWIBlonde Love riding the train to Chicago!

One of my first symptoms was aphasia! I would try to say a common word or phrase, and I couldn't. I thought at first I was having TIA's, but turned out to be Menieres. Sounds like a version of "brain fog" to me. I never thought it could be related. Glad I came here, I am getting all sorts of good info!! Thank you all!

4. soldiermom

soldiermom New Member

It makes you wonder, doesn't it? I began seeing a new family doctor almost 1 1/2 years ago and guess what? At 46 years old he diagnosed me as ADD because of my inability to focus, stay focused, pay attention, and comprehend or remember instructions.

Gee, I wonder if this is why the Adderall isn't working too well?

(Thanks for the post, even an veteran MD patient is always learning something new)

5. Huck

Huck New Member

I am coming into this discussion kind of late. I too have been having problems with "brain fog". Concentration at times is almost impossible. I have brought these concerns up with my MD and ENT and they look at me like I am crazy. Several weeks ago I had my worst vertigo episode so far. I ended up in the ER. While enroute there my condition worsened and I began to have problems with my speach to the point where I was stuttering. This was witnessed by the ER staff, and they could not determine what caused it. It was logged into my medical records and forwarded to the other doctors but I felt as if it was just brushed off. Very frustrating to say the least.

6. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

makes sense to read this every few months if I remember to do so.

7. dizzybunette

dizzybunette New Member

oh my goodness, this lifted a million pounds off my shouiders! While I admit I couldn't read all of it beacuse I can't tell my eyes to pay attention!!, what I did scold my eyes into reading was amazing. I thought I was the only one, and loosing my mind! Do most people have problems with reading text?

8. sherlocksmom

sherlocksmom New Member

I am going to an ENT on friday to see about the extreme vertigo and tinnitus I've had for 4 yrs. or so. Brain fog, trouble recalling... It is not really poor memory because once someone reminds me, I remember the event, person, etc. I really have trouble recalling a lecture or a chapter in a book. Sometimes the vertigo and nausea is so bad that I have to lay down and not move at all. My MD said it could be Menieres or an acoustic neuroma. Any feed back please let me know... Thanks

9. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

Isn't it wonderful that you can find little nuggets of information that can explain what is happening to you. Attempting to concentrate on balance, hearing and all the other million things we put through our own processors, just overwhelms us. ???

It is good when you can find validation for how you feel?!

I hope both of you find the answers you are looking for.

10. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

For some time now I have thought that one likely cause of brain fog is abnormal pressure on the brainstem. That would occur for various reasons, not the least of which would be disc problems and a shortening of the spine. Other sources of abnormal pressure would be misalignments in the upper cervical area.

This past week, starting Thursday, Winde began with what she describes to me as something I read here as brain fog. She felt like she was swimming. Thoughts kept wandering in and out of her mind. She just could not stay up for any length of time. She says she didn't really sleep that much, just laid there in the bed as various thoughts, some obscure, came in and out of her mind. She was very uneasy when standing. Later in the day these symptoms resolved to a certain degree but the next morning they would be back.

We thought that this was blood pressure related. But after a few days of monitoring her blood pressure, which can get erratic, we determined that it was not that. Yesterday, Monday, after getting started with her day again, she just had to give up, go home and get in the bed. I told her that I just couldn't do nothing and that we ought to call Dr. Castenet www.backstrong.net, who operates a Spinemed disc decompression machine. It can be used for cervical or lumbar areas of the spine. So we called and made an appointment. The machine was available; so we went. She was on the machine for 30 minutes. During any particular treatment the machine rachets up the tension to a certain point and then drops it back to half. During a session it increases the tension to a preset max figure half way through the session. Then it backs down to nothing at the end of the 30 minute session. Hers was set at a modest 9 lbs. max tension.

Within a short time afterward, Winde thought that she felt better, but it was shades of gray. By into the evening though, the fog had substantially lifted. Last night, she was able to sit on the couch and read. This morning, the cloud has completely lifted and she is back 100%. So my feeling is that because the brain fog persisted for several days, and prior to taking her to Dr. Castenet's her symptoms showed no sign of abating, this experience tends to corroborate the notion that certain abnormal pressure on the brainstem could indeed be a cause of brain fog, or at least a condition that is very related.

Update Thursday afterward: Winde has suffered no relapse of what we are calling brainfog. She appears to be out of the fog.

11. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Hank,
    I am glad to hear of your wife's improvement. I would also like to mention that my husband's brain fog disappeared completely after starting antiviral treatment nearly three months ago. This is an avenue more people may wish to explore as well.

12. poletop

poletop New Member

I almost cryed when I read this, I'm not crazy! easy words I can not remember how to spell

13. imnotdrunk

imnotdrunk New Member

Wow ~ This explains why I was having so much trouble remembering procedures at work that I have done for years, local zip codes, how to spell words I used to know, and was typing dumb stuff like "accommodate the patient" instead of accompany the patient.

14. dizzjo

dizzjo One day at a time & baby steps!

Bumping this up for someone.

15. Lorrie K

Lorrie K New Member

Thanks - I did not realize how involved this is. I was afraid that at some point during this meniere's mess I must have had a stroke as I am having great difficulty with a sequence. At least I know it is a normal occurrence for vestibular patients. Excellent information!

16. barnyardbird

barnyardbird Guest

I like to walk,but when I walk I'm unable to walk straight.I walk side to side.Maybe it's because of brain fog,I don't know?

17. amberini

amberini New Member

barnyardbird,

It could be many things. A few to consider are: a damaged vestibular system. Your NeuroTologist will/or did conduct testing to check how your vestibular system functions.
    If it's damaged, vestibular rehab might help you get more balanced.

It could be a foundation problem. You could have a scoliosis somewhere on your spine or a pelvic tilt or a leg length discrepancy. All of those would interfere with walking straight.
    Try looking in the mirror and see if your shoulders look balanced.
    Does it feel like you have more weight on one foot than the other?
    Have you had any surgeries?

18. KTabc

KTabc Cheese Head Dumbass

I copied this and printed it out. It explains why I can't get anything done! Work wears me out, it takes all my energy--I have a hard time remembering where I park at the mall. I park in the same section everytime, by-the-way, I haven't been there in forever because I can't handle it :)

I plan on sharing this with family and maybe even co-workers..........

19. chill1479

chill1479 New Member

I am so glad I found you guys! I have been spending hours reading things and so many things are making so much sense to me! I could not read the whole article but what I was able to force myself to see is so encouraging for me. The past several months I thought I was going crazy! Forgetting things - I forgot a friends name who I have known for several years and I see them on a pretty regular basis. I don't know whether I should laugh or cry - I am so relieved that many things that have been happening are finally being explained.

Thank you! Thank you! To everyone here - so very thankful to find you.

20. AnneT

AnneT New Member

Awesome info. Disheartening reality check, that yes what I experience is real. Another nail in the coffin of my career (family doc).