Big Words - Make You Sound Smart?

Discussion in 'Your Writer's Den' started by Aladdin, May 3, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

My mother used to differentiate between training and education. She was a lawyer and considered law school 'trade school'. It was where you picked up the skills required to earn a living at your trade. She considered education anything that broadened your mind. She considered reading and travel right at the top of educational opportunities and said some of the most educated people she knew never went to college. Education comes from taking every experience and learning from it. It can happen in a school or in any other activity. I have come to agree with her. I know some people with advanced degrees that don't seem well educated to me and don't seem to have any interest in becoming better educated. And vice versa, some people with few years of schooling who are alert to everything in their life and are constantly learning.

2. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

bravo June

3. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

here on the farm sometimes I sit and listen (when I can hear) to these old men talk about crops, weather, cattle, and farming...it is amazing how smart they are - they even talk a little politics and religion and what's funny is within five minutes they've got all the world problems solved and then go back to farming...they may not have Rolexes or Mercedes or Jaguars but they have 200, 000 dollar pieces of equipment, hundreds of head of cattle, crops, and land...I guess I am growing and learning...so very much in my mind and not a drop has been from a book or university...

4. corona

corona New Member

Your son must be looking forward to seeing you and I can only imagine the joy in your heart!!!

Very true June :)

Sounds like we all agree that opportunities for learning and education are all around us. It really depends on the person to find them and explore.

It's a good place to come full circle perhaps.....next time any one of us encounters a big word, let's look it up instead of criticizing the one who used it. Who knows...it might open our minds and our hearts simultaneously.

5. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

ah but you see in my error when I write something ...most of the time the words are directed at myself and usually sparked by something I've read in another's post or words - and is usually behavior of something I've done in the past - and trying to correct myself - thinking out loud - so the criticism is mine - some words may be looked up but I suppose most words will not as I have a hard enough time retaining the words I am familiar with...

I've begun to shy away from this board as well it has taken a different tone over the last few months. But I will take with me many great memories and experiences...and lessons learned.

6. burd

burd New Member

Beautifully said June. I agree wholeheartedly.

7. survivedit

survivedit New Member

I agree A - the tone has changed here in the last few months. I can't really put my finger on the difference, but it seems more off topic in general with some pettiness and shallowness thrown in. No offense, but I've been around a long time. But it's not the first time. The pendulum swings one way and then it swings back. I would hate to see you go - your experience and input have been invaluable IMO. The bottom line is helping people -especially the newbies. I hope there is still some of that here.

Bob

8. Cara

Cara New Member

I loved reading these posts........but being from the south we combine our words.

Example: jaeatyet?
    Naw.
    Yunto?
    Aite.

Meaning: Did you eat yet?
    No.
    You want to?
    Allright.

9. corona

corona New Member

:D :D :D

10. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

fixin too - going to happen or do something

directly - be there within the hour, day , or week

11. Bluesky

Bluesky New Member

This thread caught my eye, cause I tend to talk in riddles. :D

I guess, I like to throw people off the scent..more fun that way ;)

12. Cara

Cara New Member

Don't forget .....

I reckon = I guess

Over yunder = Over there

Tote this poke of groceries in the house = Carry this bag of groceries in the house.

I need a buggy = I need a shopping cart

I'm so ill = I'm so grouchy

13. June-

June- New Member

Hey, where is the mystery? Doesn't everyone talk like this?

directly is my favorite

Now did anyone say, I'm going to carry my aunt over to the store ?

14. Cara

Cara New Member

Oh gosh June, we left that one out....thanks!

15. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

:)

youngun
    kin to

16. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

sparking - dating

17. June-

June- New Member

My mom used to call boyfriends beaus (beaux I suppose but she pronounced the s). We try not to veer off on to the berm of the road. A cardinal is still a redbird to me when I think of my dad.

18. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

:)

you-um-to - do you want to or we want to

19. June-

June- New Member

My mother came from an area of Scots Irish settlement ( a mere 250 years ago) and they said oat and aboat. (That would be out and about to your flatlanders).