Bicarbonate of Soda

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Vivsy, May 1, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Vivsy

Vivsy New Member

I need to have a low sodium diet and I imagine Baking Powder or Bicarbonate of Soda is Sodium Bicarbonate so it then follows that baking (eg sponge cakes)or cooking (eg boiling green veg) with it is out, :) can anyone give me some advice tks

2. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

I don't use it much, but I have used it, for instance in cheesecake and cookies.

For me, it has no adverse effects, but everyone reacts differently to different things.

Good luck to you!

3. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Salt is not a trigger for me, but when I was exploring it as a possible trigger and was on a lo-so diet, I found that I could greatly reduce my sodium intake in other areas, while continuing to enjoy homemade baked goods on occasion. For instance, there is only one teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of baking soda in a Toll House cookie recipe -- makes about 4 dozen small cookies. That's not much if I'm only going to have a couple cookies.

Remember that sodium deficiency can cause problems of its own. There are lots of places to cut down on salt, while still eating things you like. Canned goods, processed foods, pizza, most restaurant foods, cheese, deli meats, olives, these are all no nos but you should still be able to enjoy a relatively full variety of other stuff.

4. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

i remember soaking my feet in BOC AND THAT WAS AN EPISODE NIGHT!

THE THINGS YOU REMEMBER AT THE ODDEST TIMES,

:)

5. ArtD

ArtD peace

I don't know of any lo/no so option for baking soda. In baking, it's mainly used as a pH adjuster, which can make a big difference, depending on what you are making). Usually, omitting will just mean your baked goods will brown less. When called for, I usually just keep the baking soda in the recipe. I always omit the salt without any problems. If the recipe calls for baking powder, I use the Hain Featherweight baking powder, which has no sodium. It works well. Here's a link:
    http://www.hainpurefoods.com/products/product.php?prod_id=1842