Biblical Polygamy

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Center' started by daBronx, Mar 31, 2012.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

Well there has always been a controversy about who the writer of The Gospel of John meant by "The disciple whom Jesus loved" In some of the Gnostic Gospels it flat out say that this was Mary and that the other discples were annoyed because he kissed her in public much less that he taught her and other women as disciples.

One thing is certain that it would have been very unusual for a Jewish man in that time and place to have not been married. It would have been difficult to have conducted a public life as he did. None of the other Gospels directly say that he wasn't married. It should also be noted that it does not say anywhere that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. The original Greek says that she was wealthy enough to be independent.

My thoughts are that he was a man of his time, place, and culture so most likely would have participated in culture like other men.

2. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Hey Michael, that is very inciteful!

How's the Family?

3. Michael

Michael New Member

There's a lot of interesting work out there on Jesus's historical life and interpretting the Gospels.

Everybody is fine. Thanks for asking

4. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

That's good, very Good. happy Easter.

5. tm53

tm53 New Member

I'm not familiar with this passage.

6. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

mtm - I took it directly from a post that daBronx entered. I see that it's no longer there though... Hmmm...

7. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

MTM - it's the gospel of thomas from the Gnostic gospels, not part of the traditional canon.

8. tm53

tm53 New Member

Found it Holly, it's still there:
    "The Gospel of Thomas
    Thomas 114"

I am not familiar with the gospel of Thomas but do know that the Catholic Bible contains 6 or 7 more books that the protestant bible. That would I believe explain why I am not familiar with that passage.

No Catholic/Protestant debates please.

9. Michael

Michael New Member

Thomas isn't in the Protestant nor Catholic bible. Nobody knew it existed until the 1940's. Since then both Greek and Coptic versions have surfaced. It's interesting because there is narrative or biography - only a list of sayings attributed to Jesus. There are dozens and dozens of Gospels that didn't make it into the NT. The movement to only use the 4 was started in around 175 a.d. by Bishop Iraneus and codified in 325 a.d. at the Council of Nicea. Some of the Gnostic Gospels are really interesting - portrayals of Jesus as a child, brief physical descriptions and resurrection scenes that read like sci-fi.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Michael,

I found this an interesting read: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/31/four-big-myths-about-the-book-of-revelation/

11. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Good to have someone on board that can explain these things from a more scholarly perspective. I enjoy reading your replies.

12. tm53

tm53 New Member

Interesting, thanks!

13. Michael

Michael New Member

You guys are too kind.

Intrepid I am really looking forward to reading Pagel's new book. I think she is brilliant.

14. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Same here!

15. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Are those pills in your hand on your Avatar, what do they represent?

16. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Geez, "more scholarly perspective," what are you saying about the rest of US?

What's your problem, you surely have more than one!!!!!

It's almost as if YOU are Bi-Polar, among other things.

I Do Not Like YOUR Negative Comments, neither does anyone else, IMO!

17. Gina05

Gina05 Guest

Reported to Ray!

Have a great Day!

18. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

The Matrix?

19. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

It means exactly what I said, Gina. I enjoy reading Michael's perspectives because I know he is a Bible scholar. I hope to read more of his replies the same way I enjoy shartsoe's input on these threads.

Shannon...I liked taking a look at the link you posted on scientists and their faith. I had not visited that site before.

20. daBronx

daBronx New Member

There are many bible scholars and not all bible scholars agree with each other.For example athiests have their bible scholars and there have been many athiest books written.Earl Doherty,an athiest,ex-pastor who lost his faith,author and bible scholar comes to mind.The question is of course which one is to be believed,Christian bible scholars or athiest bible scholars.Personally I believe in the Christian bible scholars.In Earl Doherty's "The Jesus Puzzle",I find it impossible to accept that Jesus was a myth and not the son of God.