Battlefield of The Mind chapters 1-2

Discussion in 'Your Religion & Spiritual Corner' started by charisse, Oct 21, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Kim, we moved our treadmill out into our "sun room" which has lots of windows. We can look out into the backyard and see God's gift of nature. Anyway, my plan is to walk 10 minutes three times a day and pray. I would like to do 30 minutes at a time, but it is so much harder now to fit that into my schedule. At least breaking it up is better than not doing it at all. Also, the treadmill helps me with my balance, possibly reconditioning? I love to put on praise music and dance. That is a great workout and a way to praise Him. You are blessed both body and soul!

2. Cathy

Cathy New Member

Charisse, you are so right. I have a stronghold when it comes to pride in my very dysfunctional family. My dad died from alcoholism. My mother is an alcoholic. And my siblings all have a lot of issues. I have been coined "the normal one". Even though I am the one who tries to make peace, takes care of my mother's financial situation, God recently showed me that I am proud. He is dealing with me on this. Thank God!

3. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

Pride is one of my strongholds too. So is being a woman. I could relate a lot (not all) to how Mary felt in Joyce's parable "Mary's Side".

4. Titus

Titus New Member

Sometimes I think if we dig deep enough, pride is at the root of most sins. I know it is with me.....and my husband. He was the one who first suggested it to me....and I didn't take it well. My first thought was "who does he think he is to be telling ME I'm full of pride when he's the one who is full of pride". He just said, "dig real deep". Sure enough. And trying to cleanse the flesh of pride is the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. A big light came on when I finally figured out God had to do it for me and I only had to allow Him to work it out. Well.....that's hard too.

5. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

6. Titus

Titus New Member

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18

Woe unto them are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight. Isaiah 5:21

God, help us fall away from this sin and seek humility.

7. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

Until last night I always thought that shame was the opposite of pride. It was revealed to me this morning that shame is the offspring of pride.

If I am ashamed of what I have and where I live, I am being prideful. Why should I be ashamed of what God has given me... unless I think that what I have is what I have accomplished in my life.

8. Titus

Titus New Member

Very interesting, Gwen. I think pride is tricky because the world's view of pride is that we should be proud of our accomplishments. We should be proud of our children. Give them lots of SELF esteem. Take pride in everything YOU accomplish. I think the devil uses shame as a means of confusion.

Sometimes it's a hard pill to swallow when we must acknowledge that we are not, and will never be, IT. Getting off the throne and putting Jesus on the throne sounds wonderful.....but it's easier said than done.

I think Jesus showed us the opposite of pride is humility.

And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted. Matthew 23:12

Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. Proverbs 16:19

But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. James 4:6