Awesome Menu/Grocery Shopping Help

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by shartsoe, Jun 30, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I recently subscribed to a menu planning service called Saving Dinner. For $15 for three months, I get my menus and grocery list emailed to me weekly. Each menu can be tailored for Heart Healthy (which includes low sodium), Body Clutter (weight loss), gluten free, vegetarian and Kosher, 2, 4 or 6 servings. So far, my family has been impressed with the dinners and the best thing about it is that I have my grocery list right all done for me (which was a huge blessing when I was unable to leave the house - my husband was able to pick up all the things we needed for the week). I have found the recipes relatively easy, but will invest in a garlic press next time I'm at the store. The website is www.savingdinner.com if anyone is interested in checking it out. Tonight we had Pesto Shrimp Stir Fry for dinner and it was great.

2. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Ooh, thank you for posting this! I've been in a lack-of-imagination-dinner rut--good timing!

I had seen this a while back, but at that time they did not do gluten-free. How nice to see that they do now!

3. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

The gluten free option basically just tells you what to substitute to make it gluten free. I think she uses shrimp too often in the seafood night. I'd like to see more variety in that area, but other than that, we like it.

4. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I signed up for the trial week, but couldn't see anything there, or on the website, indicating gluten-free. There were substitutions listed for vegetarian and Kosher, but not for gluten-free. Where do they list the gluten-free? Not that I really need it; at this point, I probably have a better idea of what and how to substitute than someone who's never cooked gluten-free, but I'm just curious.

5. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

On my shopping list it's on the right with the vegetarian/kosher options and on the recipes it's listed under the nutrition information. I agree with you though, I think you've probably done it long enough to know what to sub in. On the sample menu, the portabella (sp?) pasta called for waaaay too much pasta. I had to scale it down a bit and there are five of us.

6. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

I wonder if it's not on the sample menu, but on the ordered menus?

7. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I just looked at the sample menu I received and it's not there, but it's on the ones I receive every Tuesday.

8. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Thanks!

9. Aladdin-Fae

Aladdin-Fae New Member

This looks interesting!