Autism, mercury and...Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Taximom5, Jan 3, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. June-

June- New Member

I'll never have faith that everyone is doing their job correctly. :D I did when I was 18 but not after 45 years in the work force! But by the same token I know that many people in all walks of life do do their job well and conscientiously. This includes politicians, doctors, lawyers, social workers, scientists, teachers all groups. I do think we can stack the deck in our favor by not only punishing the ones who do a lousy job or are corrupt but we also have to do a better job of rewarding the ones who do a good job and stand up for what is right. When we see one corrupt business person, bureaucrat or politician and then label all people in that category as corrupt we are not only unfair to the ones who spent a lifetime doing the right thing - sometimes against great odds and temptation - but we also discourage honest hardworking people from going into those professions. Besides it's arrogance on our part. We shoot ourselves in the foot. To label all people in any one group as good or bad or honest or corrupt or smart or stupid is just plain laziness on our part. Black and white thinking is just laziness to me and it makes us sitting duck for con artists. But that is another thread.

2. Ladysmokeater

Ladysmokeater Peace be with you my friend

So really this arguement is on corruption and not anything else?
    By the way our foods are FULL of toxins. My hubby just read the book "The Informant" which is a true story about High Fructrose Cornsyrup. Yes they did make a movie about it, and yes it seems SO far fetched, but it isnt really once you think about how it played out.
    I know its not TOO far fetched to say wow, the FDA allows and disallows stuff that seems to make lots of money for compaines. After all, it is far more profitable to "treat" someone for a problem for a long time than it is to "Cure it".
    But we cant, as individuals, do anything about it. We have to team up and band together, then STICK together. There are good and bad guys working for the FDA and the Pharm companies. And we all know how powerful the almighty dollar really is. But again, * sigh * I digress.
    In the mean time, I am going to go nurse a horrible headache I obtained dealing with an Autistic kid today that refused to corroperate. My senses are overloaded, and I need to rest my brain.

3. Max Stooge

Max Stooge New Member

I don't think anyone has posted this yet, it's a breaking story on CNN. Corruption can go both ways I suppose. And, btw, I'm not taking any sides. Just putting it out there.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/05/autism.vaccines/index.html?hpt=T1

4. June-

June- New Member

I saw that too. From what little I read, I think that study had already been discounted.

5. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

His side is here:http://www.ageofautism.com/2010/11/andrew-wakefield-speaks-at-parliament-on-autism.html

I spent a lot of time several years ago with our pediatrician, reviewing Wakefield's initial case series (it was not a study, and was not presented as such). He was the first doctor who actually believed parents of autistic children when they said the kids had intestinal problems. They were referred to him (as gastroenterologist) at the Royal Free Hospital, I think.

He and his team were not initially looking for any connection with vaccines. They found what they considered to be a novel form of bowel disease in autistic children, that had not been seen nor identified before.

His paper specifically stated that they (Wakefield and the other researchers) were NOT recommending that vaccines be avoided, but that they thought it would be better to go back to the separate measles, mumps, and rubella shots, as they had not seen cases like this before the introduction of the MMR. They suggested that further research needed to be done. THEY NEVER SAID THAT VACCINES LEAD TO AUTISM. EVER.

The paper was later retracted by Lancet (who had initially published it), and the researchers were told to recant or lost their licenses and careers. Wakefield refused to recant, and had his license taken.

ALL the parents of the children involved supported Wakefield, but were not permitted to testify at his hearing. He is appealing. The prosecution charged that his findings had never been replicated. However, since that time, they have: Balzola F et al . Autistic enterocolitis: confirmation of a new inflammatory bowel disease in an Italian cohort of patients. Gastroenterology 2005;128(Suppl. 2);A-303.

Gonzalez L. et al., Endoscopic and Histological Characteristics of the Digestive Mucosa in Autistic Children with gastro-Intestinal Symptoms. Arch Venez Pueric Pediatr, 2005;69:19-25.

Balzola, F., et al., Panenteric IBD-like disease in a patient with regressive autism shown for the first time by wireless capsule enteroscopy: Another piece in the jig-saw of the gut-brain syndrome? American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2005. 100(4):979- 981.

Galiatsatos P, Gologan A, Lamoureux E. Autistic enterocolitis: fact or fiction. Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology. 2009;23:95-98.

Krigsman A, Boris M, Goldblatt A, Stott C. Clinical Presentation and Histologic Findings at Ileocolonoscopy in Children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and Chronic Gastrointestinal Symptoms. Autism Insights. 2009;1:1–11.

Chen B, Girgis S, El-Matary W. Childhood autism and eosinophilic colitis. Digestion. 2010;81:127-9.

De Magistris L, Familiari V, Pascotto A, Sapone A, Frolli A, Iardino P, Carteni M, De Rosa M, Francavilla R, Riegler G, Militerni R, Bravaccio C. Alterations of the Intestinal Barrier in Patients With Autism Spectrum Disorders and in Their First-degree Relatives. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010 Jul 28.

He will apparently be on Anderson Cooper tonight, so it should be interesting to hear what questions Cooper has, and what Wakefield has to say.

6. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

That was in the first post of the thread--mercury is ototoxic (in amounts that were considered safe for humans, as preservative). I had not known that. I wondered if mercury exposure in other ways (vaccines, fumes, or from contaminated fish?) might result in mercury migrating somehow to the ear and affecting it even when not delivered there directly.

Could some cases of autism actually be a toddler with severe Meniere's? Imagine an 18-month-old or 2-year-old, suddenly hit with Meniere's symptoms, and without enough verbal ability to communicate what is wrong...

7. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Maybe that's because their symptoms are in remission? Or they are experiencing "vestibular burnout?" Seems to me, a toddler, who is just learning to talk, who has Meniere's symptoms (if that is possible), CAN'T learn to talk, if he has fluctuating hearing loss, vestibular issues, and tinnitus. Add to that the high number of autistic kids with intestinal issues as well, and it would be no surprise that they would behave...well, autistically.

8. bulldogs

bulldogs New Member

Taximom5:

the two year old or 18 month old will grow up and will eventually communicate their symptoms ect....
    But to make the leap that autism is misdiagnosed as mm is stretching it.
    The behavior of mm people and autistic kids is completely different. Autistic kids usually don't loose their vestibular systems.

I would love to be the defense lawyer in this case, if a suit was brought. Maybe interesting conversation but medically a stretch to associate autism with severe mm in kids.

Sincerely

9. Wino

Wino Resident Honey Badger

I actually read Andrew Wakefield's recent book, "Callous Disregard," where he tells "his side" of the story. I walked away from the book more convinced than ever that the guy is a total fraud.

10. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

All I'm saying is, I'm wondering if it could be possible for some cases.

11. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Two-year-olds with non-stop Meniere's symptoms? How would they LEARN to communicate? When I was having MM attacks, I could only just BARELY respond SOME of the time. Most of the time, I just wanted to bang my head on the wall to make the horrible feelings go away (not that that would have worked, but honestly, that's what I felt like doing).

Autistic kids have MAJOR vestibular issues.

And this isn't a case, so please don't try to make it one. All I'm doing is asking if something is possible, which is how most leaps forward in understanding happen. It doesn't mean that it IS possible, but if you don't think it is, you could at least try not to be nasty.

12. CGR

CGR Guest

Whats the pee-value on that?

13. Funshine

Funshine New Member

Look, contrary to what some may choose to believe: the neck bone is NOT connected to the knee bone!

14. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Maybe not, but many here are connected to the funny bone!

15. Funshine

Funshine New Member

Ha-ha! Good one!

16. CGR

CGR Guest

Um, have you read the kama sutra? :D

17. Funshine

Funshine New Member

yes it indeed, does it suit-ya?

18. CGR

CGR Guest

Oh, i z that now

19. Funshine

Funshine New Member

Actually the term is ELABORATE FRAUD! http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40930256/ns/health-mental_health/

20. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

gary null says that the vaccines are not only preserved with thymerisol, but now with aluminum as wall, it's also a neurotoxin.