Autism, mercury and...Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Taximom5, Jan 3, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Ladysmokeater

Ladysmokeater Peace be with you my friend

I dont put alot of love into Autism Speaks, because generally speaking, they DO NOT speak for the autism community as a whole, only the lower functioning folks. Although you wont find it on the website now, at one time there were some links to some things that were about prenatal autism testing. It is highly inaccurate and can not determine if a child is or is not going to be autistic, as we have yet to find a gene that says yes or no like we can with some things like Downs. This could lead to lots more babies being terminated when there is a very high probility that they would have been high functioning like me (or Dan Ackroid, Darryl Hanna, Temple Grandon, and many others).
    Sorry that was a bit off topic, but Autism Speaks made me mad several years ago with that prenatal testing talk for autism and it was a thing of huge debate in the autism commuinity.
    I wouldnt wish autsim on any one, but I dont believe in testing for something you dont know the cause or all of the genetic markers for.

2. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

be interesting to see the statistical numbers of those with reactions to vaccinations & those blind etc from rubella. I expect the numbers of seizures, autism, aspergers, greater than the other. that gardella vaccine is very bad, by the way.

3. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

by the way the only good vaccine is an auto-vaccine. dr emmanuel rivicce used them for curing brain cancer: vaccines using the patients own tissue, thus bio compatable not putting strange pathogesns & tissue into infants.

4. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

Genetic testing is a waste of time in utero because they can be wrong. My cousin is a perfect example. They said she would have all of these problems but she is a healthy happy 18 year old. My other cousin was said to be downs; and he's not. That's over 20% of my cousins that could have been aborted and I could NOT imagine life without them. A lot of babies are terminated for no reason and that is really sad. Most people with Autism are high functioning which is why the website focuses on it. It doesn't mean that AutismSpeaks isn't a good webpage just because someone posted a link about prenatal autism testing either. Autism is not caused by vaccinations and that is a fact. Nobody knows what causes it, that's another fact. I could post real journals not stupid ones online but I'm sure those would be revoked too.

5. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

Let's see:

1/ 1,000,000 will react severely to the vaccination according to the cdc

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-mmr.pdf

Rubella is a leading cause of blindness in 3rd world nations

http://www.greenstone.org/greenstone3/nzdl;jsessionid=A5B84F783FD5D0A6766A1C44E28FB3AA?a=d&d=HASHc09c73d68d3262336aa293.5.np&c=hdl&sib=1&dt=&ec=&et=&p.a=b&p.s=ClassifierBrowse&p.sa=

Sorry Abigail; where are your facts?! You didn't list any so you must be pulling them from the top of your head.

6. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

You are obviously unaware of VAERS, which reports thousands of SEVERE adverse reactions to vaccines.

In addition:

According to the www.washingtonexaminer.com, "FDA records show that 16 new deaths (including four suicides) and 3,589 “adverse reactions” tied to Gardasil were reported in the 16 months between May 2009 and September 2010. The adverse reactions included 213 cases of permanent disability. The FDA also received 25 reports of paralyzing Guillian Barre Syndrome in young girls and women who had received the vaccine." The CDC reports 56 deaths linked with Gardasil, but claim that "there is no clustering pattern to suggest a link." (Clustering means that the deaths would be in the same small geographical location--which has NOTHING to do with whether or not a vaccine causes problems.)

All this for a vaccine that "MAY" prevent cervical cancer. It has never been proven to do so.

The problems with Toyota vehicles caused 51 deaths, prompting a massive recall.

How many deaths will it take for a vaccine to be recalled? 56 deaths, 25 cases of paralytic GB syndrome, 3,859 adverse effects including 213 cases of permanent disability are apparently not enough.

7. June-

June- New Member

These issues are not easy. There are lots of risks to weigh.

This is a story from last Oct.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/20/california.whooping.cough/index.html

10 infants dead in California whooping cough outbreak

(CNN) -- Whooping cough, also known as pertussis, has claimed the 10th victim in California, in what health officials are calling the worst outbreak in 60 years.
    Since the beginning of the year, 5,978 confirmed, probable and suspected cases of the disease have been reported in California.
    All of the deaths occurred in infants under the age of 3 months, says Michael Sicilia, a spokesman for the California Department of Public Health. Nine were younger than 8 weeks old, which means they were too young to have been vaccinated against this highly contagious bacterial disease.
    "This is a preventable disease," says Sicilia, because there is a vaccine for whooping cough to protect those coming in contact with infants, and thereby protect the infants.
    However, some parents are choosing to not vaccinate their children. In other cases, previously vaccinated children and adults may have lost their immunity because the vaccine has worn off.
    Why are parents skipping vaccines?
    The vaccine "does not protect you for life," explains Alison Patti, a spokesperson for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    Sicilia says California Health Department epidemiologists estimate 50 percent of the children who have gotten sick were infected by their parents or caregivers.
    According to the recommended vaccine schedule for infants, newborns don't get their first pertussis vaccine until they are 2 months old, leaving them vulnerable to infection until then if the people surrounding them are infected.
    Breaking down whooping cough
    "That's why the real important message is -- whether it's a mom, dad, sibling, grandfather or grandmother that comes in contact with these really young babies -- all the close contacts, including the health care professionals, need to vaccinated," says Patti. It's called the "cocooning strategy," where the newborns are protected because the older people around them have been vaccinated and protected from pertussis, and therefore won't pass it on to little babies.
    Do children in the U.S. have to get more shots?
    Video: What is whooping cough?
    Pertussis, or whooping cough, is a highly contagious disease caused by bacteria that can lead to severe upper respiratory infections. The bacteria is spread in tiny droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
    Initial symptoms are very similar to a cold, but a week or two later, a violent cough develops.
    "If you've ever seen a child with pertussis, you won't forget it" -- that's how the American Academy of Pediatrics explains what whooping cough is on its website. The academy says a child with the disease coughs so hard and so often "until the air is gone from his/her lungs and he/she is forced to inhale with the loud 'whooping' sound that gives the disease its nickname."
    The cough can last for weeks and children can cough so hard and rapidly,that blood vessels can burst and they have difficulty eating, drinking and breathing. According to the CDC, "about 1 in 5 infants with pertussis get pneumonia, and about 1 in 100 will have convulsions. In rare cases (1 in 100), pertussis can be deadly, especially in infants."
    Listen to what whooping cough sounds like
    Parents and doctors can often miss the initial symptoms of pertussis in the youngest patients because they often do not have the characteristic cough with a "whoop" says Patti.
    According to the National Institutes of Health, "the whoop noise is rare in patients under 6 months and in adults."
    That's why parents need to be alert to symptoms in themselves as well as their children, says Patti. If there's a prolonged pause in breathing or they have trouble breathing, that's an important sign and parents should seek medical attention immediately, she explains.
    "It's important to go to the doctor early on," says Patti because, "antibiotics don't help you later."
    Adults usually don't have the "whoop" cough, so they may not think they have pertussis. Patti recommends if someone has a cough that doesn't go away, they should get tested for pertussis.
    Sicilia points out that the pertussis vaccine isn't perfect and its protection wanes after about five years.
    Health officials are urging everyone who hasn't had a pertussis vaccine in the past five years or -- doesn't remember if they had one -- to get the shot.

8. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Millions? Gardasil is effective against only 4 of the 100 strains of HPV. There is no proof that Gardasil will stop cancer.

In 2006, The American Cancer Society reported 9,710 cases of cervical cancer. According to www.about.com: " Cervical cancer used to be a significant cause of cancer-related deaths in women in the United States. Fortunately, due to more women getting regular Pap smears, the number of cervical cancer deaths has decreased dramatically, dropping about 74 percent between 1955 and 1992.Cervical cancer is one of the most preventable types of cancer. With regular Pap smears, cervical cancer can be prevented in just about all cases."

9. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

I know of VAERS and read about all of the side effects online and still choose to get the vaccination. I think that webpage is not a good source; look at all the ads for crying out loud. Do I have any adverse side effects? No. Do I understand that there are 100 types of HPV and only 4 are protected by the shot? Yes. Did I still choose to get it, yes. Young men and boys should have to get this shot as well, it should not be a female only shot. HPV cannot be as eaisly prevented as HIV and is passed through the skin. 80% of sexually active women will get HPV by the age of 50. Over a THIRD of people who develop cervical cancer die from it; way more than dying from a vaccination. Ovbiously you don't know anybody who has had complications from this disease, I do and it's not pretty.

10. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

June, there are many problems with the pertussis shot, besides for the fact that protection wanes, requiring a booster. The shot is almost always combined with Tetanus, Diphtheria, or both. Those shots don't require 5-year boosters. No studies have been done on adverse effects of getting boosters of these shots every 5 years.

Many scientists believe that pertussis virus has mutates and continues mutates quickly, making the vaccine even less effective.

More importantly, one can harbor and SPREAD pertussis even if one is fully immunized. Since we want to protect those most at risk for pertussis--the infants--perhaps vaccination is not the best answer, though a SAFER, MORE EFFECTIVE vaccine may very well be a good start.

The surgeon general has just come out with much stronger recommendations to support breast-feeding, which may very well be the best answer, and may make many (though not all, in my opinion) vaccines totally unnecessary.

It would be VERY interesting to find out--if anyone bothered to record this data--how many (if any) infants who die from preventable diseases were breastfed.

And,of course, baby formula is a product of the pharmaceutical industry...

11. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

Living a "natrual lifestyle" and "breastfeeding" does not prevent diseases that vaccinations can prevent. Look at all the preventable diseases in 3rd world countries, by your definition people shouldn't have any of those diseases because they breastfeed yet they have tons of preventable diseases.

12. amberini

amberini New Member

13. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

According to the American Cancer Society, less than 1% of all diagnosed cancer cases and deaths involve cervical cancer.

In 2006, The American Cancer Society reported 9,710 cases of cervical cancer. According to www.about.com: " Cervical cancer used to be a significant cause of cancer-related deaths in women in the United States. Fortunately, due to more women getting regular Pap smears, the number of cervical cancer deaths has decreased dramatically, dropping about 74 percent between 1955 and 1992.Cervical cancer is one of the most preventable types of cancer. With regular Pap smears, cervical cancer can be prevented in just about all cases."

So--we can prevent just about all cases of cervical cancer with regular Pap smears. But according to you, 3,589 reported SEVERE adverse effects of Gardasil--in less than 2 years, in healthy, young girls, as those are the only ones targeted to receive the vaccine--is worth it??? And you think that boys should receive it, too, even though it doesn't even claim to prevent ANY kind of cancer in boys??? And what of other long-term adverse effects, such as infertility, autoimmune disorders, etc?

What kind of risk-to-benefit ratio are you thinking here?

14. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

The issues in 3rd world countries are vastly different than in developed countries, a clean water supply and decent hygiene being the most obvious problem for disease control.

You might look up what Nestle did, aggressively marketing powdered baby formula in 3rd world countries, where mothers--who couldn't even afford to adequately feed themselves--were given free samples, which of course caused their own milk supply to dry up, and then watered down the formula (with unsafe water, of course) so that it would go farther. Infant mortality rates skyrocketed.

15. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

Men pass HPV easier than women and it is not detectable in men, there is no test for it. Gardasil is actually now approved as of October 2009 for Young men and boys so yes they should get it, no doubt in my mind. I do not consider fainting a "severe adverse affect", maybe people should man up and take the pain of the shot or eat a little bit before getting it. The key is preventing HPV so that we do not get cervical cancer. I have a friend who had to have her cervix cut out at 20 from HPV; if she had the vaccination, it could have been prevented. Show me a webpage that has good facts not about.com or any other ones that you have listed.

16. vikinggal011

vikinggal011 New Member

I do not support bottle feeding unless absolutely necessary; but by saying Whooping Cough can be prevented by breastfeeding is a bit of a stretch.

17. June-

June- New Member

Yes it is. Look at the infant mortality in this country from these kinds of diseases before the advent of either vaccines or formula. My own aunts died as young children from measles and whooping cough. They were not impoverished nor were they fed with yet to be invented formula. Go to the old section of the local graveyards. It's very sad to see that half of the graves are for children.

18. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

"Yet-to-be-invented formula??" Good heavens, June, how old ARE you?

from Wikipedia:
    Early infant foods
    Throughout history, mothers who could not breastfeed their babies either employed a wet nurse[9] or, less frequently, prepared food for their babies, a process known as "dry nursing".[9][10] Baby food composition varied according to region and economic status.[10] In Europe and America during the early 19th century, the prevalence of wet nursing began to decrease, while the practice of feeding babies mixtures based on animal milk rose in popularity.[11][12]

This trend was driven by cultural changes as well as increased sanitation measures,[13] and it continued throughout the 19th and much of the 20th century, with a notable increase after Elijah Pratt invented and patented the India-rubber nipple in 1845.[9][14] As early as 1846, scientists and nutritionists noted an increase in medical problems and infant mortality was associated with dry nursing.[11][15] In an attempt to improve the quality of manufactured baby foods, in 1867, Justus von Liebig developed the world's first commercial infant formula, Liebig's Soluble Food for Babies.[16] The success of this product quickly gave rise to competitors such as Mellin's Infant Food, Ridge's Food for Infants and Nestle's Milk.[17]"

Even my grandparents were not breastfed--and I'm not exactly a teenager!

19. June-

June- New Member

My aunts were born between 1909 and 1912. Little boys wore dresses in those days and babies were born at home and breast fed. I am sorry I am so old as too be scary I guess.

20. LisaB

LisaB New Member

The Mayo clinic has a great page on the importance of vaccines.

The Gates Foundation is putting millions, approaching billions (or maybe they have past this) into world-wide vaccinations of children. I saw a show with Bill Gates and a doctor discussing the impact of being able to put so much money into vaccinating poor children in poor countries. I have great admiration for this effort which aims to eradicate childhood disease that can be prevented by vaccinations. Bill Gates is very smart and is not funded by the pharm or other industries.

We have eradicated (almost entirely, although outbreaks do occur that have to be re-addressed in certain geographic areas) polio and TB in areas where the population is vaccinated against them.

Pretty darn impressive in my book :)

And I think June is just old enough to be really smart and really kind, and also is considering skating in her future.......another sign of great intelligence. :D