Aussies - Low salt foods

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by cheese, Oct 25, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. cheese

cheese New Member

Sorry to be discriminatory, but you yanks seem to have an abundance of low salt selections, whereas down here, we have S.F.A in terms of foods and snackfoods that fit under the less than 120mg per 100g low salt guideline.

So I just thought I'd share some of my 'hot tips' in terms of meniere's friendly foods that i've discovered on my way. And i'd love to hear of foods that others might have found.

I've been craving Potatoe chips ever since i got sick, but i haven't been game enough to eat the stock standard ones.

On www.colesonline.com.au I've discovered that freedom foods sell a N.A.S. potatoe chip that taste really great, and its only got like 20mg per 100g. IGA also stock a N.A.S chip, but i've yet to come across them

Freedom foods also do a Low salt Corn chip, which has 110mg/100g .......But ive also recently discovered that Coles now sell a N.A.S corn chip as part of their "you'll love coles" range

Bread is the biggy for me. Moore's make a Low salt wholemeal, which has about 70mg/100g .......It tastes pretty crappy untoasted, but once toasted it is great. My girlfriend is always stealing my bread because she loves it, so that says plenty. Pity its over $4 a loaf .....but apart from a bread machine, it seems to be the only readily available loaf. I've seen it at both Woolworths and Coles.

Taco's are one of my favourite foods .......The Casa De Fiesta brand's taco shells only have about 30mg/100g and a by far the tastiest of the low salt variety. Coles also have their own ones that are low salt, but they taste cheap and nasty.

Chocolate biscuits that are low salt are hard to find .....the only ones ive found are Arnotts Gaitey ....I think they're about 60mg/100g. Arnotts triple waifers are also very low salt

In terms of peanut butter, i've found that the Sanitarium brand is BY FAR the best no added salt peanut butter.

Just Right Cereal only has about 20mg/100g and is now my breakfast of choice

Uncle tobys apricot(any fruit maybe?) muesli bars are only 30mg/100g and are a great snack .....make sure you only get the chewy ones though, the crunchy ones are a high salt food.

These sites have also got ALOT of great foods ....

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/pschamb/mls.html
    and
    http://home.exetel.com.au/sharksaus/

Anyway ...I know it's a pretty crappy list, but i'll add more when I come across them. I'd love to hear of some more recommendations though.