"attacks" without rotational vertigo? or have your attacks changed over time?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by yukookoo, Aug 19, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. yukookoo

yukookoo New Member

throughout my life i would have "attacks" Come on suddenly, i feel dizzy sometimes rotational, sometimes up and down type dizzy sometimes i cant really explain just dizzy, tunnel vision sort of, blurry vision, tinnitus, intense panic and nausea, then i have to go to the bathroom really bad (sorry for that) o also sweating sometimes my face turns bright red especially cheeks, then when its almost over i get goosebumps and chills, Hits like a bus,

But for the past maybe 3.5 years or so i've been getting attacks that dont include panic, not severe nausea like i dont typically throw up anymore just feel a little yucky, some of them i dont even get that dizzy, i just feel like im about to i guess, some i do get dizzy but its never rotational anymore its more of an up and down weird dizzy, still have bad tinnitus, sometimes its like i dont even notice all the sudden im sweating and hot and i go o maybe im having an attack, sit down and I notice that im dizzy, ears ringing, have to go to the bathroom, then the chills come...

Im not sure if its progression of the MM, or maybe its having my duaghter and not being focused on me anymore, or maybe its just having a diagnosis and knowing and being able to say o ok its an attack and not panicking

So just curious, if anyone else has had this experience with attacks...

Maybe its somewhat of a remission...... im just crossing my fingers.

2. Stick

Stick Guest

Do you have any hearing loss. Since there is a form of MM that effects just vestibular function you could still have MM. I'm not a doctor but ....
    You should check out MAV, there is a lot of people here who have been DX with MAV and MAV+ MM. You symptoms seem a little differnet but I can also understand "getting used to attacks" when you have had quite a few. The first real bad vertigo attack is always memorable. I think it would be natural to panic as your brain goes into fight or flight response when a having vertigo attack. Check out MAV (Migraine asssociated Vertigo) it an;t hurt

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/migraine/mav.html

3. yukookoo

yukookoo New Member

im starting to believe i have both mav and mm. all the symptoms have beent here since i can remember. So very very young.

The other thing is that I had something called labor's neuro retinitus which is a particular infection of the optic nerve, i also had bells palsy at the time (infection of the 2nd/ facial nerve, that caused temporary paralysis of half my face) As a result I have premanat damage, to the facial nerve, very minor though no one notices but me and severe permanat damage in peripheral vision in the affected eye. So i recently have begun thinking that since these nerves are so close to the inner ear it is somehwat likely that there was some damage to nerves there as well....

But im still curious about other's attacks and whether they have changed over time.

4. Stick

Stick Guest

You should definitely check out the John of Ohio treatment and acyclovir/famvir antivirials. There are alot of people who have great results because there MM may be caused by latent viruses. I've read a lot of doctors beleive bells palsy to be caused by the herpes virus. You probably have heard of shingles, which is I think is usually caused in later life from chicken pox when the virus re-activates. This is a similar theory with MM.

Look up the acyclovir and famvir treatments as well.
    Here a link to the JOH in the menieres database in case you have not heard of it.

http://www.menieres.org/forum/index.php/topic,19349.0.html

5. yukookoo

yukookoo New Member

yes im on some of joh, Im nursing so i cant do all of it.

I did take acyclovir and some other antivirals, saw no difference.

6. Stick

Stick Guest

Thats too bad it sounds like you been through the gambit. Sorry if I keep telling stuff you already know but helping others makes me feel better :)

7. nassman

nassman Guest

Sounds like bad anxiety and panic attacks to me.

8. ShariN

ShariN New Member

My attacks and dizzle spells vary and have changed over time. The drop attack that sent me to the ER last year was totally different than any of the other attacks. Like the world was tilted at a 70 degree angle and there was very little rotation, like everything was in slow motion... no spinning at all, first time I was that violently ill too. Usually I can keep it under better control than that. Though I don't get panic attacks... I just get ticked off and want it to stop.
    Anyway, the last attack was the weirdest thing. Doc said attacks can very and change over time.
    She had me get a colored MRI of my brain just to make sure something else wasn't going on. Found out I have a nice healthy brain and my issue is just the MM.

I have Bilaterial MM and totally deaf from low to mid hearing in my right ear, can sort'a hear distorted high pitched noices that sound like Darth Vadar on helium, also makes me hyper sensitive to noise because I think my ear is trying to balance its self out. In fact what people concider normal every day noise.....lets just say I can't handle it any more or I wear my Boise Noise cancelling head phones.
    My left ear has issues but not near as bad as my right, Thank goodness.

9. jakemax2000

jakemax2000 New Member

I have never had the rotational vertigo. It has always been what I call "vertical vertigo", i.e., the room bounces up & down & it is always accompanied by loud static/crackling noise. I have had this at least several times a week since 10/07. Sometimes it is all day long. HORRIBLE!!!

10. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

no need to apologize about having diarrhea. Many of us get tht with the vertigo.

11. June-

June- New Member

Re: "attacks" without rotational vertigo? or have your attacks changed over time

Since it's been going on for years I don't think this applies to you but I want to throw out heart issues. Heart attack, blood pressure problems, heart arrhythmia can cause some of these kinds of symptoms. Not to give people something more to panic about .... but some times heart problems are not recognized by patient or dr. My husband was 52 and did not look like a walking heart attack when he had his. We should have gone to the ER sooner than we did.

12. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

Re: "attacks" without rotational vertigo? or have your attacks changed over time

I’ve certainly had non-vertigo, non-rotational Meniere’s attacks. In fact I had more of these than the classical attack of rotational vertigo. My non-rotational attacks were characterized by increased tinnitus and ear fullness, impaired vision (tunnel and jittery), awful balance, nausea, and a sense that I was on a rocking boat. These attacks would last 2 hours and then disappear. I always imagined them to be a result of attacks focused on the utricles and saccules of the inner ear. I think attacks of pure rotational vertigo are focused on the semicircular canals, in particular the lateral canals. I’ve also had attacks, like Jake, with vertical vertigo. For me these were mild and only occurred when I was lying down. Finally, I’ve had attacks of nystagmus.

Joe

13. Aznalla

Aznalla New Member

My attacks have changed over time in frequency, severity, and direction of rotation. I started with rotational vertigo approx. once a year. It now has progressed to 3 X a year and its anyone's guess if I will wake up to rotational or vertical vertigo. This last year I started throwing up with the attacks. :p

14. winewench

winewench I'm not drunk, I just walk with an accent!

My attacks have changed, too, since going to the House Clinic in LA. They suggested B Complex & C vitamins and put me on 50mg of Hyrdochlorothyazine.

I have also cut back on alcohol (one glass a day, if that) salt and caffeine and try to get enough rest. I still get attacks, in clusters sometimes, but instead of full on tilt-a-whirl, things shift back and forth and I rarely barf anymore. My attacks are much milder, but still incapacitating. This disease sucks. My tinnitus does not seem to increase with attacks - it is just always there.

15. June-

June- New Member

Did they give you any particulars on the b complex and c vitamins or did you just go to the store and pick one up? I would like to add this to my regimen.

16. winewench

winewench I'm not drunk, I just walk with an accent!

They sent me to a "compounded" pharmacy. I take B6 Complex & Sustainable Release Ukltra C Complex 1000 mg. The C complex has 1000 mg of Vitamin C, 500mg of citrus bioflavinoid, 100mg of rutin, 100mg of hesperidin complex and 50mg of Acerola. The B complex has too many ingredients to mention - I have to get ready for work! I'm also taking Vitamin D and oregano oil.

It does seem to be helping - my attacks are not nearly as severe as they were.

17. June-

June- New Member

Thanks, next time I talk to my dr there I will ask about recommended supplements.

18. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

i've gotten these occasionally and usually have diarrhea - even though these type attacks are not nice, I prefer them over the vertigo and spins, also my hearing does become affected during these...panic attacks can be similar but there is a different feeling to them ... let's hope vertigo is no longer a symptom for you - best wishes :)

19. Bastet

Bastet New Member

I get attacks without spins a lot. I don't know what causes mine; they can happen when I'm eating lo-so or not. I take Zoloft which helps a lot with the panic attacks, I don't get those very often. I do notice that I am more likely to get sick when I've been working too much or too many things are out of my control. I need to meditate more. That has helped me in the past.

20. winsome

winsome Misplaced Dumbass

For some strange reason I found the JOH stopped the diarrhoea, but did nothing else. Unfortunately, some of the things he recommends aren't readily available in the UK, but I did what I could. Then remission kicked in and it truly is a joy - I still get the occasional dizzies but no 'hurl and whirl' and no vertigo. At times, I can even do without my hearing aid and the sheer joy of not shouting down the big white telephone cannot be underplayed.

Long may it last!!