Are you in the vast majority

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Henrysullivan, Apr 21, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

According to Nassman, " the vast majority of people on this site do not have a vestibular problem, but rather, are suffering from physiological/psychological conditions that happen to have dizziness or vertigo as one of the symptoms." Knowing what I know, that seems outrageous to even assert. So is there anyone who agrees with Nassman, that your symptoms, or perhaps your fellow members symptoms, are merely psychological manifestations?

2. Funshine

Funshine New Member

Huh?? physiological would imply an organic cause, which I do believe.. and I also believe that anxiety, stress, emotional and mental anguish can bring on symptoms that mimic vestibular problems, but I would be reluctant to put the vast majority of people on this board into any one catagory....not my call.

3. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

I believe he is saying that certain physiological conditions that do exist, manifest as symptoms that do not really exist, but are only thought to exist, led to that conclusion by a certain psychological reaction to the physiological condition, one that is unrelated to any condition existing in the inner ear. So these symptoms would be psychological/psychosomatic disorders rather than real physiological disorders involving the vestibular system. In this case, one would experience vertigo out of no cause coming from the balancing system. Essentially one believes one has vertigo, but one really does not. The vast majority of folks here, according to Nassman, are in that classification.

4. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

Sounds like Assman oops I mean Nassman is suffering from some psychological manifestations himself!!!! Ha what joke

5. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

Oh one more thing.... is my hearing loss, tinnutus, distortion and fullness also a pschological manifestation Mr. Nassman??

6. nassman

nassman Guest

Henry, I hope you are proud of yourself you immature, silly, little man.
    You have taken my words, twisted them, and started a thread simply for the sake of adding some entertainment to your boring life.

What part of PHYSIOLOGICAL and PSYCHOLOGICAL conditions don't you understand?

Do you know that dizziness is one of the most complained about symptoms patients present to doctors with? Do you think that they are all vestibular in nature? THAT IS ALL I AM SAYING.

There is a whole host of conditions both physical and psychological that cause dizziness and vertigo. Cardiovascular diseases, gastrointestinal conditions, allergies, migraines, and yes, anxiety and/or depression are just a few of literally hundreds of conditions that can cause devastating dizziness. Again....THAT is all I was saying.

So, one last time, cause I know you need things explained 100 times before it absorbs, many (NOT ALL) people in here have joined this site because they have DIZZINESS and/or VERTIGO as a common symptom that stem from a whole variety of conditions. There is no way you can tell me that the thousands of users on here all have meniere's disease. They do, however, have REAL and DIFFICULT symptoms that they deal with. I NEVER said that anyone on here imagines their symptoms.

Now be a man for once in your life and APOLOGIZE IMMEDIATELY to me for making SERIOUS FALSE ALLEGATIONS against me. Its the least you can do.

You seriously never cease to disappoint me. Its like you are in sixth grade or something...grow up!

7. nassman

nassman Guest

You have been reported to the moderator. I have been banned before for much less. Making derogatory statements against my name is unacceptable.

8. June-

June- New Member

Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen.

9. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

dont get all worked up over a simple typo... my bad... sorry it certainly wasnt intentional

10. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

Hmmm..you did capitalize the 'A.' Hey, but maybe it was phsychological, a Freudian slip.

11. Stick

Stick Guest

Where?

Because a lot of people here do get the "it's all in your head shaft" from doctors about vertigo I think it can be a hot topic.

According to current epidemiology stats roughly 600 thousand americans could have MM. It is entirely possible that most people here have MM, MAV or both. Bring MM is a syndrome and not a disease the causes of their woes could be vastly different. There are currently 5446 members.

I would like to know these stats:

How many of them are now longer active because their symptoms are under control?
    What is the percentage of members who have vertigo issues?
    How many MAV vs MM?

12. mrdizzy

mrdizzy New Member

Well I do get delusional sometimes and when I do I tend to make lots of typos..sorry everyone

13. vikx

vikx New Member

Please don't do this. Nassman has a right to say what he thinks. We don't need to be picking at one another. VK

14. birdmom3

birdmom3 New Member

There is so much we do not know about it. Nassman might be correct as it does seem to react to stress. Stress can lead to anxiety and might trigger the dizzy and vertigo symptoms. And maybe it can respond to things like diet, weather and being tired. We do not know.

birdmom3

15. MamaBear

MamaBear New Member

Wait a minute.......While I do agree that the horrible symptoms of Mineire's disease can and do cause tremendus stress, I can assure you that the physical illness that I experience when an attack hits me has NOTHING to do with either the phychological or physiological.
    I went from being a VERY healthy, happy vibarant individual, who was in the Gym five days a week, to such a place of extreme physical illness, that I could not even recognize it as my life anymore. My work as a Prison Guard for the RCMP, which I have always enjoyed, saw me go from working all of my regular shifts, to where I worked maybe ten shifts in a three month period.
    I find it EXTREMELY insulting for anyone to imply that this illness that has attached itself to me, is anything but purely physical. I strongly suspect that anyone who would imply such a falsehood, has never experienced the full-blown symptoms of Meniere's disease....and I hope he never does!

Blessings,
    MamaBear

16. njspingirl

njspingirl unilateral menieres..had vns and gent injections

This is a very important topic for many of us. I dont even know where to begin. But, let me say this.
    I did have the VNS and had 8 good years..after that symptoms returned. Not full blown,,but they returned. I had the gent injections last year. There is no way in HELL..that all of my dizziness came from menieres. Not after all that I went thru.
    Psychologically it has torn me apart and has belittled me to the point where I did not see any end in sight. I developed panic attacks daily that turned into agoraphobia. I didnt go outside my house for 3 long ass years! Why,,one was FEAR of the dizzies. Do you know what fear actually means??? Someone once told me FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real. If you think about it, this is so true. How many of us are afraid to go out because of the dizziness.
    I began tracking my thoughts on this..especially waking up in the morning..wondering if I get out of bed, if it was going to be a dizzy day or a so so day. So So was far better then a dizzy one. It seems that mind was so set on BEING dizzy and it wasnt going to get better..that I actually started to believe it. "Oh i feel alittle dizzy" so this will be a bad day. Your thoughts play a major role in how feel.
    I took little sticky notes and wrote the words FEAR on them..stuck them on mirror so I would see the word and what it actually meant to me. I saw it every morning while doing my hair or makeup in that same mirror. Panic always struck along with the dizzies. It took me awhile to stop the negative thoughts and replace them with the positive ones. This took alot of practice and patience. But I did break the cycle. Not only with the the notes..but I went into therapy. Its has just been very recent that I started. Actually 6 weeks ago. I do still have panic break thru and its getting less and less as I push myself to do more and NOT FEAR the dizziness. Sometimes its so good that I can actually talk myself out of the dizzies. SO,,,my point is..it can be stress and anxiety. Its a mix of physical symptoms and emotional.
    I ran to the neruo guy about 4 months after my gent injections..telling him that they didnt work..I am still dizzy. He said lets test it to see if it worked. He did the water test, and guess what..The shots did work!!! He said to me that I should get counseling for the anxiety. Im thinking he's nuts and brushing me off.
    Nothing changed for me...even after a year later of getting the gents. But guess what..he was right. I got tired of sitting home and watching everyone else come and go in my life. I was very angry that they could just get up and GO!
    I took control.. thats where it started with the notes on my mirror. Little by little I gained my confidence and did more. I faced my fears of the dizzies. I started to just get up and go also.
    I looked for a therapist to help me on my way. And that has been a godsend. I can now see how distorted my thinking really was. AND, that I could actually DO more then I thought I could do.
    It is NOT easy to do..but you can do whatever you set your mind to do. Just like saying to yourself, "its going to be a dizzy day" ! Well you already set yourself up for a bad day !! Get the point?
    I do believe I had a few issues going on..gaining my balance back after the gents, FEARS of the dizzies and of course my NECK issues. Which by the way, has made a remarkable impact on how I feel.
    I have addressed each issue that I felt was putting my life on hold. I am working on all 3 now. Over the past 2 months.. I am gaining control of my life. I am getting it back.
    Dont get me wrong here,, my inner ear problem still gets to me..but mostly on very stressful days and the RAIN. Overall,,I am happy with the progress I have made and continue to push forward.
    There is so much to say about this topic, it is hard to express every little things.
    I guess what I am saying is.. Step back and take a look at what you really are thinking on those really bad days. Negative thinking will only set you up for bad days. Change your thoughts to positives ones.
    I do believe inner ear problems, mav etc..all go hand and hand. They all have the SAME symptoms as anxiety and depression.
    I believe we suffer constantly from daily dizzies all because of "FEAR". False Evidence Appearing Real".
    If you have had treatments as I did..radical ones and I still experience daily dizzies..it is fear in my case.

17. Funshine

Funshine New Member

I agree with you Jersey girl, and even though I do not get the spins or the dizzies, I do tend to stress out about getting the other symptoms, which to me, are maddening! it brings all this back to the why me? and the whole cycle starts all over again, except, acceptance is so hard to reach because you never find it acceptable...it is so unpredictable...and makes no sense.....fear is like paralysis. It stops everything, except the racing of your heart and your mind and I agree it does cause you lose control.
    I applaud your progress, you have come a long way since posting on this board. Perhaps it was the strength of your anger that gave you energy to come out of the darkness...in any case, I hope that you find a day when you will dance in rain, instead of fear it.
    This is a hot topic, regardless of how it was started.

18. DemonicSymphony

DemonicSymphony New Member

Nassman is known for making inflammatory statements. It's what he does around here. And some of us even love him for it (most of the time:p). While how he said it the first time came off as insulting if you didn't read it as he meant it, he clearly explained it very well in his post in this thread... And he does have a point.

Some people here don't know what's wrong with them but have sought out others with similar symptoms. There's no doubt my room mate has Meniere's but he makes himself worse CONSTANTLY with his attitude about it.

Meanwhile I have Meniere's as well (both of us tested seven ways from Sunday and diagnosed) but I roll with it. I fully understand his is worse than mine, but he makes it SO much MORE worse on himself by his attitude and stressing about it.

19. Henrysullivan

Henrysullivan New Member

NJ,

Do you think that your original Meniere's symptoms, from before the VNS, were psychologically based, caused by a general anxiety disorder or GAD as Nassman puts it, an anxiety disorder which found root in some physiological abnormality unrelated to your vestibular system, or was there a physiological abnormality actually in your vestibular system, an abnormality the symptoms from which lead you to the decision to have the surgery, some vestibular abnormality that actually caused the symptoms the surgery was designed to deal with, symptoms that could not have been the result of mere anxiety that arose from some seemingly unrelated physical problem? The fact that the VNS worked for 8 years leads me to expect that the surgery must have dealt with some physical aspect of your vestibular system that was malfunctioning. But if Nassman is right in your case, that procedure was merely a placebo making you believe that you felt better by removing the general anxiety caused by something unrelated to your vestibular system. If true, that would be a real kicker. Because if Nassman's thesis is correct, and you are one of the vast majority of cases here, then whatever physiological abnormality that caused the general anxiety disorder, resulting in the manifestation of Meniere's symptoms, for which you underwent extremely invasive surgery, is still alive yet to be corrected.

I am not you, and whatever you believe about your case I will believe as well. But presently, to expect that you and the vast majority of folks who post here, who each day cite the suffering from symptoms that on the surface would seem to arise from certain abnormalities in the vestibular system, are in actuality suffering psychologically from general anxiety originating from some physiological abnormality unrelated to the vestibular system, is about as an extravagant a statement that I have ever entertained here, even from Nassman. And that is why I bring this subject up here. If he is correct, then the vast majority of medical research in the field of vestibular abnormalites would be better spent in the field of psychological abnormalities.

Maybe I have now better framed the discussion.

20. DemonicSymphony

DemonicSymphony New Member

Henry, that's NOT what he's saying. You're misreading what he's saying.