apples

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by dolfan, Oct 31, 2013.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

I hate apple....... :D, until I started buying organic. I have been getting "Gala" apples from Whole Foods and they are fantastic. Sometimes they are on sale and I will buy 6 or 7 pounds in one shot. I wonder why Publix apples can't be organic too. They were on sale yesterday for 1.99lb.

2. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

Happy Halloweeny everybody.....get it apples, halloween :D?

3. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

All organic vegetables and fruit taste so much better and are better for you.

4. June-

June- New Member

Apples are like tomatoes. Fresh off the tree, organic or not tastes 1000 % better than an apple that has been in cold storage for a month or two. Golden delicious, hands down. Got to be fresh of course, not some over ripe thing from the grocery store.

5. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Granny Smith apples are my favorite.

6. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

mix grannies with sweet potato chopped up in a big bowl with olive oil and spread them on a cookie pan and bake at 350 until there crispy. Serve with your favorite meat....yum

7. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

Royal Gala are my favs too :D

Today I used up old apples by making an apple cinnamon loaf and dutch apple pie for my Sweetie. Also used up overripe bananas making banana nut bread :D

http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/dutch-apple-pie-125555.aspx

8. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

^^ I made my own pie crust for the pie, not store bought frozen crap :D

9. dolfan

dolfan Active Member

send me a piece please

10. daBronx

daBronx New Member

I've buying sliced organic apples at Trader Joe's.

11. Titus

Titus New Member

Our Publix has organic apples....and it isn't even a big store. I only eat organic fruit (except for melons) because it tastes so much better and is healthier. I only live 5 minutes from Publix so I don't get a bunch at a time.

12. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

If they are already sliced wouldn't they have to be coated with chemicals to stop them from browning?

13. June-

June- New Member

Probably just lemon juice or similar acid.

14. CarolineJ.

CarolineJ. New Member

I googled it :D

Calcium carbonate to maintain freshness and colour. Also has abscorbic acid. http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/trader-joes/organic-sliced-apples

Makes me question the organic part if they are coating it with calcium carbonate and abscorbic acid. :/ Of course I understand that it isn't pesticides.

15. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Fantastic! Will make it over the weekend.

Sliced apples have ascorbic acid to preserve them.

One of my kids cuts his apple up before bed, puts it in a container with lemon juice and cinnamon all over and eats it in the morning. It's very yummy.

16. June-

June- New Member

Organic is a very specific certification. Basically, everything used just has to be naturally occurring, it doesnt have to be good for you. For the most part organic is an improvement over the alternative but not always. Also, we cannot produce enough food to feed all the people on earth just using organic methods.

Studies have shown for instance that some chicken brands that are all organic have higher levels of inhospitable bacteria than the others. So it is not any guarantee of healthy.

17. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Oh we do produce enough food to feed the world. We just waste it.

Since the majority of us don't have apple trees in our backyard, I think eating organic, whenever possible, is best (especially with the "dirty dozen".)

18. June-

June- New Member

I have an apple tree in my yard. Without the use of chemicals, it has no apples and few leaves. With them it is loaded with delicious apples. I dont take a scorched earth policy. I still have blemishes on the apples but they are not organic.

Most of the food grown today is with the use of chemicals. We would not have enough without them. Also, the organic standard is very strict. If all the stuff labeled organic actually meets that standard, i will eat my hat. I dont oppose it at all. With certain products such as eggs and fish, i will do my best to get the least adulterated version available even those the cost is double, i just dont think the organic label is exactly what people imagine it to be.

19. June-

June- New Member

How to grow grapes organically. It is not all about a little manure to the soil.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/fruitpathology/organic/grape/organic.html

20. Titus

Titus New Member

There is a BIG difference between organic and natural. Anything without artificial ingredients can be labeled natural. I'll take my chances on trusting certified organic. We have some local growers who are certified organic and their fruit is wonderful. Of course, it won't last weeks in the refrigerator, so you can't buy in bulk.