Anyone know of a safe bread?

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by vanisdizzy, Jun 12, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. vanisdizzy

vanisdizzy Im sorry we met here, but glad to meet you.

Well the little women and myself set out to find more foods for the new lifestyle (diet). We found some great fresh cold cuts in the deli, ham and turkey breast, uncured and gluten free no nitrites the whole thing. They were great. We also picked up some hot dogs nitrite and nitrate free. They are great. I think a little burd told me about those. BUT we also bought some bread that would choke a horse. Its Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free. Its made from rice? Its also free of taste. Its so dry that I almost choked trying to swallow it. Anyone find a bread worth eating. :D :D :D :D :D :D

2. vanisdizzy

vanisdizzy Im sorry we met here, but glad to meet you.

???

???

3. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

I don't know of any, but have you tried asking the nice folks at Whole Foods or something similar? I'm sure they could offer some help, maybe even let you try some. Sorry no one has been able to help so far.

4. phildsc

phildsc New Member

I appear to not have a gluten problem, but my local Publix supermarket make a salt -free bread that's pretty good.

5. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

The grocery stores usually sell "Food For Life" brand frozen gluten-free breads, which, as you noticed could make a DEAD horse choke. Horrible stuff.

Udi's and Canyon Bakehouse both make very decent gluten-free breads, found in the freezer. You might look for their websites to find out if they are sold st s store near you. Kinnikinnik bread and Schar breads are ok, but taste a lot better toasted (with lots of butter).

I make my own, using recipes on www.betterbatter.org (I use their flour, too).

If you don't want to go to the trouble or expense, you can use corn tortillas for wraps, instead. Or make cornbread from scratch (not from a mix, they all contain regular flour as well as corn meal), subbing gluten-free flour for regular flour. I like the recipe on the back of the Quaker corn meal box, and I sub the BetterBatter flour for the all-purpose flour called for in the recipe..

6. Diagnosed05-31-11

Diagnosed05-31-11 New Member

I've found a bread called Ezekiel 4:9 at several local grocery stores. 0 sodium per serving. Look for it in the frozen foods isle. It has to stay frozen.

7. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Ezekiel bread is NOT gluten-free.

8. June-

June- New Member

Do you need gluten free or just low sodium or wheat free? It is pretty tough to make a bread without gluten. That's kind of the key to the structure of bread.

9. Taximom5

Taximom5 New Member

Good gluten-free bread is very easy to make. A mix of flours (usually rice, tapioca, potato, sometimes sorghum or cornstarch) take the place of wheat flour, and xanthan gum is used to take the place of gluten, and it works very well. The problem is in how well the bread KEEPS. It does tend to dry out very quickly and easily, which is why most pre-made gluten-free breads taste like hi-fiber styrofoam.

10. EvenTheDogIsABoy

EvenTheDogIsABoy New Member

Kings Hawaiian has a sliced bread that is 79mg per serving. You have to check the labels though -- they make several varieties that are high. The 79 mg one is shaped like a regular loaf. It is delicious!!

11. AmandaJ

AmandaJ New Member

Genius Bread is one over here that actually tastes not too bad, not sure if it is sold outside uk tho, i'm going to try and make my own , i hate Gluten free bread 99% of the time it tastes like cardboard but it may be worth having a go at making it yourself

12. marbar

marbar New Member

Udi's and Rudi's are decent gluten-free breads. Trader Joe's has gluten-free bread that's good, too. That said, the Trader Joe's breads are regionally baked, so the breads here in California may be of different type and quality than where you are. Although I've have yet to try, I've been told that the Grainless Baker has tasty gluten-free breads (www.thegrainlessbaker.com). I keep the bread in the freezer to help prolong freshness. Toasting the bread makes the bread more palatable. My husband loves baking bread, and he's experimenting with different combinations and recipes. Going gluten-free has a definite adjustment period, but the reward to health is golden.