Anybody Here A Vegan?

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by newigal, Apr 10, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. newigal

newigal New Member

In addition to going low so, is anyone going vegan? I'm almost there. Going out to eat here in DC is an absolute b***ch unless I drop all my friends. And I'm not doing that, because they know what's going on and they love me anyways! ;)

But they aren't vegan, and one is vegetarian.

Just curious to know if anyone's vegan. The ones I know here in DC also tend to be very activist, very radical animal rights advocates, which I'm totally down with, but many of them lack a sense of humor. :-\

2. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

I am neither vegan nor vegetarian. However, I am sliding towards being a vegetarian. I have meat once or twice a week and limit my serving size to around 100 grams. I have fish once or twice per week with the remaining days getting my protein from legumes, beans and nuts.

In many ways I think vegetarians have chosen the right eating pattern. However, I know what you mean about going out to restaurants with non-vegetarians. Something has to give.

Good luck with your representation issues in DC.

Joe

3. newigal

newigal New Member

Thanks! We have to convince Congress that we are capable of ruling ourselves. Of course, some of the past politicians haven't exactly been stellar in a lot of their actions.

4. Nancy2004

Nancy2004 New Member

I'm eating less and less meat and it's usually fish or organic chicken. I love vegetables tho, so the change is easy for me.

5. newigal

newigal New Member

yeah, it's been fairly easy at home. I take my lunch to work every day. Now I need to create a strategy for eating out. I've saved a bunch of money since switching because I'm mostly avoiding eating out. I'm staying lo so as much as possible, and it's pretty hard to do at restaurants.

6. Sheri61

Sheri61 New Member

I'm not a vegan, but I'm a vegetarian. (Technically a ovo-lacto-pesco vegetarian, or something like that. :D) I only eat seafood on occasion, when I have not been eating enough protein.

I have not found a thread on here for favorite vegetarian recipes yet. If I don't, I think I'll start one. I am always looking for ways to jazz up the menu.

7. deercharmer1

deercharmer1 Somewhere in the forest....

I'm not a vegan, but I was a Zen macrobiotic vegetarian :eek: for a while in the 60s. It was hard to go out and find things to eat...and times changed, so eventually it was back to the real world of meat and fast food :p

These days, I seem to have converted my Meat-And-Potatoes husband...at least one or two meals we eat during the week are totally vegetarian. He's actually gotten pretty fond of organic veggie burgers!!! :D :D :D

8. Sheri61

Sheri61 New Member

I love me some veggie burgers!

I was studying macrobiotics a few years ago, deercharmer. But all the books I found on it were kind of complicated. So I never seriously pursued it.

9. Wobbles

I'll start a thread for Vegetarian, including protein, recipes. I'll call it VIP Recipes. Last night I made a black bean soup in which I got all my protein from the main course.

I keep my courses on the direction of less and less meat these days. I am motivated by economics (small factor), health issues of meats, and the moral issues of the caring, killing and eating of animals.

Joe

10. Sheri61

Sheri61 New Member

Thanks, Joe!

When my mom died in '04 of a bunch of diseases that were controllable with diet (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.), I decided to get serious about taking care of myself by watching what I ate. I started keeping a food diary, began cutting out one unhealthy habit a month and replacing it with a healthier one, and dropped soft drinks. I feel so much better!

Your 'VIP' thread will be much appreciated. 8)

11. Wobbles

Sheri, I'll start VIP thread tomorrow or next day. It is a little hectic in my kitchen right now and I am feeling fatigued. GOOD FOR YOU for replacing bad eating habits with good ones. I've tried to do something similar. I am convinced healthy eating is really the tastiest eating. The only downside is that it takes time. It is most certainly less costly. Joe