Anxiety and depression, panic and agoraphobia

Discussion in 'Meniere's Disease "Database"' started by waxwing, Oct 14, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

?

have you ever suffered from one or more of these problems?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2006.
  1. generalized anxiety disorder

25 vote(s)
    78.1%
  2. clinical depression

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. panic disorder

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  4. agoraphobia

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. other phobia

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. none of the above

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. all of the above

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. TracyInIndy

TracyInIndy Guest

Mya,

Sorry it took so long to respond I had to look thru my records to find the name.

I was on Elavil 25mg. I took 2 at bed time for 1 month and 1 at bed time for 1 month and then 1 every other night for another month or so then stopped taking them. I think it's a lighter AD, but I don't know enough about them to say for sure. I had no problems on it or stoping it, but I wasn't on it for long. I do know my MM doc told me it would take about 10 weeks to get the vailum totaly out of my body because of how long I had been on it.

Tracy

2. nassman

nassman Guest

hmmmm...

Out of the 49 selections thus far, 46 indicate some form of psychological dysfunction. That is a whopping 93.8%!!!.

Makes you wonder if some people are actually suffering from dizziness as a result of these conditions...

3. nassman

nassman Guest

Ummm....if 1/3 of Denmark jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?

20 mg's daily is a very high amount.

4. waxwing

waxwing New Member

Funny you mention that Nassman, I spent ten years in therapy for panic disorder and a good part of that time I was told that the intense dizzyness I was suffering from was a symptom of Panic. Turned out to be meniere's. Hahaha. There is a lot of overlapping. I found almost all of the daily dizzies went away with Paxil, now I just have meniere's. :eek:

5. nassman

nassman Guest

That is my point! Your daily dizziness went away once you took care of your panic disorder with Paxil. Now you are left with meniere's. It is possible to have a panic disorder and meniere's and suffer different types of dizziness as a result of each.

Daily chronic dizziness is almost always due to a psychological disorder. Meniere's, on the other hand, causes episodic, violent, vertigo attacks.

6. Gwendelyn

Gwendelyn New Member

Perhaps the high % is because mostly the people who expirences these types of problems are responding to this poll.

Gwen

7. sparrow

sparrow Guest

When I was 13 I was diagnosed with classic migraine. I always complained of dizziness from as far back as I can remember. And as far back as I can remember I had panic attacks with agrophobia and anxiety.

In 1983 when I turned 33 I was put on a tricyclic antidepressant called Pamelor and it .. managed my migraines and put a stop to panic with agrophobia and anxiety. I was also diagnosed with OCD, PTSD, my migraines turned to atypical complicated classic migraine and possible seizure disorder, which has never been ruled out. My eeg shows slowing and spiking in my right temporal lobe.

Now, with this recent cancer scare, I am having break-thru panic attacks and my OCD is out of control. Of course MM is having a field day right now.

Sparrow :)

8. dmac

dmac my sweet Holly

:eek: I agree with Nassman. Anxiety and agoraphobia give me the spins. But apparantly Dr. Hains thinks so too:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/unlocalized.htm

9. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Good link. Should be in the Database. I'll ask that it be added. Thanks.

10. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

Tracy - thanks for your information.

Nassman - i just knew i was going to get some kind of sacrastic remark from you on the valium. Try and be a little more gentle sometimes, a newbie might not understand your'e frame of mind. ;)

11. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Here's more good stuff:

http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/76/1/1-a

"CONCLUSION
    Migraine and anxiety are two conditions that are frequently associated with dizziness and balance disorders. Moreover, migraine and anxiety are comorbid, occurring concomitantly more frequently than would be expected by chance alone. Thus, it is not surprising that a subgroup of dizzy patients presents with both migraine and anxiety. MARD is a newly defined condition wherein a patient presents with a combination of a balance disorder, migraine, and anxiety. The relative severity of each component and the functional relationships between each component may differ from one patient to another and may change over time. The pathophysiology of MARD probably relates primarily to monoaminergic pathways important for migraine, anxiety, the central vestibular system, and their interconnections. Recognising MARD is important, as management requires amelioration of each of the underlying conditions, preferably by implementing treatments that benefit more than one component of the disorder. "

12. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

Thornie,

This is me to a tee, I never heard about this before.

13. thornapple

thornapple New Member

Yeah, me too...too bad SSRI's try to kill me.

14. DizzyPaws

DizzyPaws Learning early

I know I am late posting to this, but I just joined and found you all. I also suffer from all of the above. What I found to be interesting is that more that the MM symptoms appeared the more the others did as well. I hit an all time low a few months back (right when all the MM symptoms hit me hard). I have finally started taken wellbutrin XL and xanax(as needed). I still have much of the MM symptoms and my hearing is decreasing, but the depression is getting slowly better. I still have a lot of anxiety which for me causes panic and then agoraphobia. I also have some PTSD which doesnt help either. For me alot of the anxiety also came from stressors in my life. Including the biggest of MM. Either I live in AZ where the MM symptoms arent as severe,but the asthma nearly kills me or I live in IN where my asthma is liveable, but the MM symptoms are horrible. Not sure which is worse. I will say that the Mental illinesses are strong with the MM than any other issue.

just my .02

RC

15. jparenteau59

jparenteau59 New Member

I have been all of the above at many times in my life, Jeanne

16. cfw

cfw New Member

I too am all of the above, I have some degree of dizziness everyday. It sucks, anyone found relief, please let me know!!! Had meniere's since 1991 and have limited hearing in both ears, even hearing aids does not help the clarity, just the volume. Would give all I have to never be dizzy again!!!!

17. thornapple

thornapple New Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=17309987&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

Here ya go...an article that reports a study, in which they determined that people with dizzy problems are often diagnosed incorrectly with anxiety (which is thought to produce the dizziness), when the anxiety is actually simply a result of being dizzy.

18. im2dizzy

im2dizzy New Member

Suffer from all the above for 30 years+ Never have experienced dizziness unless I was to sedated from being in Hospital for severe cliical depression. I'm pretty sure it is thr MM. now. Sorry for posting so late. Im2dizzy

19. twinklenani

twinklenani Guest

I have two questions. How can I post a new topic?
    How does one get over the "fear" related to MM?
    I have had so many bad experiences with this disease, that I am afraid to go out without my husband or daughter, who understand the problem I have. I am embarrassed if I stagger and I live in fear that I will have a bad dizzy spell in public.
    I would love to go to the Senior Center to meet people and engage in some activities, but I am so scared of having a bad attack, that I am still setting on my sofa wishing for some interaction with others. When an ATTACK happens, I have to take a valium and set still and focus and I am afraid that other won't know what to do, except call 911 and I don't want that...which would mean more dang tests!!!
    Any ideas would be appreciated. *Shear determination isn't working! Blessings, "twinkle"

20. Dizzney

Dizzney New Member

Hello:
    I am new to this site. I have yet to be diagnosed with Menier's, however, I do not know why it has taken this long. I have continually complained about the vertigo, tinnitus, headaches and a feeling of fullness in my ears. My doctor said she does not know about the fullness that she had never heard anyone complain of that feeling before. Now I learn from this site that it is a pretty common complaint.

I will be seeing my doctor again next week. I am going to bring Menier's to her attention. I could not believe it when I typed in the symptoms on the Internet and up pops Menier's! I have several severe attacks of this every year and at least a couple per month. I have hit the emergency room several times due to the vertigo and headaches. I truly hate the tinnitus, as to me, it sounds like crickets constantly chirping. My husband had almost decided that I was crazy when in the middle of winter, while lying in bed one night I asked him: "Do you hear those crickets? They are really loud!" He then informed me that there were no crickets but, of course, I kept hearing them and still hear them on a constant basis. Good thing that louder noise pretty much covers this up during the day, but at night it is very annoying.

Maybe this is not what I have, but ask that those of you who have been diagnosed to give me your opinion so that I do not feel out of place asking my doctor about it next week. I am making a list of symptoms below:

1. Frequent, severe attacks of vertigo that causes me to have to stay lying down for a few hours or even days at a time.

2. Tinnitus; the constant sound of crickets chirping in my ears.

3. Severe headaches

4. Nausea

5. Depression (diagnosed at 19 years of age)

6. Anxiety (diagnosed at 19 years of age)

7. I am also a recovering agoraphobic (severe agoraphobia from the age of 21 years until I was 33 years old)

8. Profound hearing loss in both ears that continues to worsen that started in 2002. My left ear is worse than my right, but I am having trouble hearing conversational speech, the telephone ringing, people talking to me on the telephone. I am scared to death that I am going to go completely deaf. It has been recommended that I have double hearing aids but I cannot afford them.

9. A feeling of fullness in my ears. At times the pressure is great enough that it feel like something is trying to get out. (No, I do not see little green men) I hope someone understands what I am trying to convey.

10. I also have visual field disturbances at times, generally right before and after an attack of vertigo.

11. I have been diagnosed with TMJ also.

I have been taking clonazepam (klonopin) since I was 20 years old and zoloft since I was 31 years old. I believe that my anxiety (panic attacks) and depression started when I had my first attack of vertigo when I was around 18. I am now 41 years old and I am seeing the attacks coming more often and they seem to last longer each time I have one. I am certain that you will all be truthful with me, and believe me I will appreciate it, please tell me if these are all symptoms of menier's. I posted all of this here because I found the poll and thought it was very interesting that other people felt the same way I have felt for most of my life. Bless you all and I hope that all of you have some control over this syndrome or disease (whatever one would call it). I am looking forward to hearing from any of you. Again, I would like to feel more confident when I bring this up to my doctor next week. Thank you in advance for your support.

Sincerely,
    Dizzney (Angela)