Another Merry Christmas for me & my family and thankful for support from here

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Daize, Dec 28, 2009.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Daize

Daize New Member

On December 2nd, 1997, my husband and I sat anxiously in waiting room of Cancer Management Center to find out if the aggressive chemo. treatments I went through killed the tumor...ovarian cancer stage 3....In walks the caring, compassionate oncologist and talks with both of us and then proceeds to tell me that I am in remission...tears welled up and I hugged the doctor, turned to my husband and we hugged with tears streaming down our faces.
    My weight at that time was 98 pounds...when I went to hospital for surgery, I weighed 89 lbs. and my life turned upside down.

When we got home, I called my dad at the variety store and said to him "Hi Dad, I have a Christmas gift for you...I am in remission", dad cried on the phone,then yelled to some of the customers in the store "Ruthie is in remission"...cheers and clapping filled the store...I told Dad that I had tried to call mom first..he said she may be on the phone with one of her sisters...so he went next door to house and told mom to call her sister back, and to call me. So, mom called and I told her the same thing...she sobbed on the phone then after a few minutes became composed. She then called her sister and so went the calls from one sister to another with the news...mom comes from family of 5 sisters and one brother. Plus mom called her very best and dear friend. and also my sister...who I called myself too.

It was a joyous Christmas and NEW BEGINNING of second chance at my life.

Then in 2000...I was talking to mom and the room was spinning very badly, I became sick on the floor, husband was at work, mom asked what was going on and I said I don't know....what felt like hours was half our, vomiting stopped within 2 minutes....mom stayed on phone....somehow I was able to get a cool washcloth and put on my face and back of neck...stayed on floor....what was going on...I was so scared!!!

The spinning stopped and I felt very drained....told mom I was going to lay down....she told me she would call later on and check on things.

The next day I called my primary care doctor, made appt and he saw me that afternoon, referred me to ENT the next day....ENT doctor is caring, compassionate, takes time with patients. He told me that I have meniere's disease and also had me take audio test.

I was put on Dyrenium, hydrochorlthizade (sp) and meclizine when I got dizzy or vertigo and also diet. I see him every six months.

After appt. I went to my car and sat there, tears gently streaming down my face, I now knew what was wrong. Also had MRI done too.
    I asked the ENT what caused this and for me it was the chemo --- one of side affects was hearing loss, I am one in a million to have this from chemo.
    so the chemo killed the tumor, but, gave me this...well, I thought...I have been dealt another crummy card...I fought a hard battle with cancer so another battle I will deal with.

I was pre-school teacher and left profession in 1997 because of cancer then tried to sub-teach...didn't work out...so ended any work for me. I have many wonderful memories of my students I taught who are now grown adults :).

I have good days/bad days....I am cancer advocate and meniere's advocate!

My "Life is a Journey"....the ride is bumpy, smooth, curvy, but, I stay on the ride and take one day at a time and step by step.

Have strong support from my family, and both sides of family and friends.

I decided after diagnosis to go to internet for answers, support and came upon this site...I read posts and thought, this is how I feel, I can relate to so many and so I came here to menieres.org and caring, support is always there as well as many friendships cyber and personally as well.

To all who read posts and think, I want to be part of this site, please come in, much infomation, compassion, caring, ideas, suggestions, and friendship is here always. To those who are new here, welcome and you have come to the best place. No question is small, ask away, vent, find out and know that YOU or someone you know who is going through this are not alone.

I wish each of you a Happy New Year of new beginnings.

Ruth :)

2. Tara

Tara New Member

3. June-

June- New Member

You've made your journey a good journey for many people, Ruth. Thank you for sharing your positive outlook. We all need some of that.

4. Caribbean

Caribbean New Member

You're a fighter Ruth. So glad you found this place, you've helped many here.
    Continue to be well kid. ;)