Another ENT Visit

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by blessed, Oct 4, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. blessed

blessed New Member

After struggling through the last four days trying to hear, I am going to my ENT again tomorrow. I wear a hearing aid in the left ear, right ear is gone, and usually my hearing is pretty good with the aid. It has been doing this fluctuating thing for awhile now, though. Last time it happened I took Prednisone for a week and it got better. That was exactly one month ago. I took Prednisone again all last week and it didn't help. Today it is at rock bottom. I swear I was worn out by the time I got home from work from just from trying to understand people. My neck and shoulders hurt from the stress of it all. (I answer the phone all day and do dictation!)

I nearly know this has something to do with my eustachian tubes swelling, I just don't know what to do about it and it seems I never get anywhere with the doctor. The way people sound to me is just something you can't explain to a "hearing" person....but you all know that don't you? Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has a problem like this and if so maybe you have had some luck with something that I could mention to the doctor. My volume level seems to stay pretty good, it's just that I can't understand what people are saying. Actually, I think my volume is even down this time. Guess I'll know tomorrow after I have my zillionth hearing test.

Another thing is that I don't have much tinnitus in my left ear, but I have two different sounds going on in my right one all the time. Guess that makes up for it :)
    But this morning I woke up with my left ear ringing in a big way. It is better now although still there a little.

I appreciate any and all replies.

2. tucker

tucker The Meniere's DVD Guy!

I don't know what to say...hope for the best.

I have a birth defect in both e-tubes, they never dropped when I grew up.....probably most of my problem

Keep us informed, the more information we all have the better we are all

hugs
    Tuck

3. Stacey3048

Stacey3048 New Member

Hi Blessed,

I am sorry that I don't have good advice to share with you. I wanted to wish you luck at the doctor. Let us know how everything went!

Stacey

4. Willie Marie

Willie Marie New Member

I have no advice either--sorry--but hope that things work out well with the Dr. I hope you have a good one. Sounds like maybe he/she doesn't listen well though from your comment. It is easy to say--just go find a doctor who will listen--but from experience I knowt that isn't always easy--from a financial standpoint as well as just being able to find the right doctor.

Good Luck
    Willie Marie

5. Amethyst

Amethyst She believed she could, so she did.

Hi Blessed,

I hope your ENT will run another audiogram. It sounds like your 'word discrimmination' has taken a dive. Standard audiograms test not only the level at which you're hearing but also the ability to make out the words. I've been fortunate so far. I've lost a fairly significant amount of hearing in the past few months (60Db) but my word discrimmination still stands at approximately 88% (give or take 5%).

As for how to describe what your experiencing...would the Charlie Brown voice analogy (from the old tv shows) do the trick?

Very best to you,
    Amethyst

6. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

Hearing and speach discrimination fluctuation is the nature of the beast. I find that if I take a few little breaks during the day and get good rest at night, I can make it through the day better. I'm still tired, but not as tired as I am when I chain myself to the desk without any breaks at all. It's even worse if I don't take my lunch break, so I have to make myself leave my desk and relax during that time.

Looking forward to your latest audiogram results!

7. blessed

blessed New Member

Beast is the right word for it alright. I have dealt with Menieres for 12 years, though and this fluctuation thing just started this year. If I didn't have to deal with phones and dictation I could deal with it alot better.

My ENT called and rescheduled my appointment until tomorrow. There was a cancellation and I am going to have allergy testing. I had an appointment for the allergy testing on the 20th but this way I can kill two birds with one stone. From what I hear that is really something to look forward to. What a way to get off work for a day :)