Anger

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by pardonme, Sep 30, 2006.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. pardonme

pardonme Guest

2. gardenfish

gardenfish New Member

In addition to meds and a kind spouse, anger is one of the arrows in my quiver during vertigo attacks. I do not hold back. After all I am under attack and I either give in or I defend myself vigorously. I scream and rage and curse. I challenge the disease to come because even tho it might knock me down it cannot keep me there. It scares my Honey, but it works for me. Oddly, engaging in a big bout of anger distracts me from the vertigo a bit.

3. NurseMom

NurseMom New Member

---------------

4. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

on 9/11 I was angry this year for personal reasons - I broke six glasses and destroyed about six gold chains and threw some other jewelry down the drain - felt good to release it - maybe not pratical but satisfying none the less

I try and never take it out on another human being - ever. I've also learned not to stuff it inside; as that is unhealthy and a tragedy waiting to happen.

5. Robyn

Robyn Russell the Wombat

I yelled at my two kids the other day and gave them a big lecture about the things I do for them, that goes unappreciated. Really my anger wasn't directed toward them as such, but to the fact that they had just unwound the huge extension cord that I had just spent 10 minutes winding up.

As soon as I finished yelling, I knew it was the wrong thing to do and apologised to them. They said they understood and knew that I was angry because they had unwound the extension cord. They both wound it back up again and in hindsight I should have just asked them to wind it up and put it away.

For me, anger comes on fast, I lose the plot and then get over it quick. If I know I was in the wrong and said things I shouldn't have then I will apologise. If not, well I don't hold a grudge - life is too short for that.

6. ToniG

ToniG Guest

Ditto. When I have lost the battle with the vertigo, I know I tried to fight it, and do feel some contentment.

7. Titus

Titus New Member

I try to figure out why I'm angry. Do I have a valid reason or is it some other emotion (fear) that is manifesting as anger? Then I ask myself is being angry helping anything or anyone? AND, is being angry making my condition or me worse off?
    Then I decide how and if I should act on it. If it requires a resolution to let it go, I'm quick to act. If it requires just letting go, I pray for help.

The pills help, too :D

8. AnnieKYOH

AnnieKYOH New Member

Surely we all deal with this issue. Right now I am depressed "anger turned inwards" - and it is because of my diagnosis this week of the disease going bilateral, I have to give up my international job - and what will I do now for work - or can I work. Another surgery might be forthcoming and since I am single without family where I live - how do I survive. And, it makes me angry as to what this disease is doing to my friends. I love giving to them as much as they give to me - but it sure seems lopsided sometimes.

HA... I tried going to a college football game yesterday because the wonderful son of some of my friends was playing. I wanted to see him play at least once in his collegiate career. I got to see him play a couple of plays and catch a great pass. After 1.5 quarters I had to leave. I paid a horrible price while sitting in the stadium and when I got home last night. BUT I STILL GOT TO SEE HIM play!! Sometimes the price is high - but I have decided that price is much too high - so I won't do it agian:)!

I am with Titus - prayer sure helps. Thank God!

I also went to a massage person last week that also prays with her clients. I had some cranioscraial?? massage that has helped the soreness in my head and neck. It also helped me deal with the anger a bit and relax. Now that I will do again in two weeks!

9. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

Meds helped my anger, and acupuncture along with massage helps me now. My boyfriend helps me as well being my best friend, and my little pup helps. I did a year of counsel which helped a LOT and realized i'm just me, and this is who i am now and i'm happy to be here living in the moment. I've learned to stop dwelling in my past. I didn't like myself when i was angry, but like GF said, it's when it came out and i recognized it and OWNED it is when i got better at coping and dealing with it. My depression is also anger turned inward and MAN, when it came out.....taught me some BIG lessons. Funny how my Menieres taught me so much about myself i've been searching for all these years!

10. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

send me some of your pills - titus - haha

11. Wobbles

Wobbles Storm (April 15, 1992 - November 17, 2006)

First, I must recognize that I am angry. Next, I try to figure out the why of it. If it is with good cause, then I will try to direct my anger to good effect. But most of the time, I realize that my anger response is not going to lead to any good; then I try to decrease the emotion. I can do this by self reflection, breathing deeply, going for a short walk, telling a joke …

12. FreshFaith

FreshFaith Ride to live. Live to ride.

anger...what an appropriate topic for me today...i am angry... and i dont know why...ok, that's not true..i know WHY...i dont know what i can do about it... and my anger gets turned inward...i will internalize and fester until i blow up... but maybe this time i wont blow up..i'm working VERY hard at being a good example for my family, being a submissive wife and basically, just rising above it all...

today's lesson is (for me) just to be the bigger person.....

i'm ready for a simple life and NO, not with paris and nikki!! :)

13. charisse

charisse Been hanging here for 8 years

What titus said is how I handle it. I have to be careful with how long I stay angery as it can cause me depression.

14. Mnme

Mnme Guest

I did all of these things with a vengeance (though never thought of beating my pillow!).

But I finally realised that the thing that made me the most angry was feeling out of control. With Menieres, that was day in, day out. So I started to focus on the things about my health that I could control. And it worked. But in everyday life ... well let's just say that it's handy I have a store of 'medicinal' alcohol, a list of people who get up my nose ... and plenty of pillows! :)

Lee

15. desertlover

desertlover New Member

I'm so glad I found a place with others who suffer from this vile affliction! I've had Meneire's for 16 years...been thru therapy for balance, hearing aids (they don't help, if anything make it worse).
    I had cataract surg 5 days ago..and it's thrown me right back to day 1 of coping..I'm an invalid again..I know it will end when I get my other eye fixed, in 2 weeks..I'm an RN, in my past life..been unable to work for 7 years..now that's another story. Could I have a Kind Word? Just a bit of reassurance? Just to know there are others who suffer?deal?live?exist? is somewhat comforting. I'm not usually this low..have learned all kinds of tricks to enjoy life. But these last few days, I've been crying alot-I'm usually fairly happy..I know this too shall pass...thanks.

16. Mya46

Mya46 Knowledge is POWER!

Desertlover

Being "fiercely independant" kinda makes it harder fighting sometimes because we are not "in control". We get "tired" of being so strong. I've learned that along my Menieres journey. Soooooooo, you just hang in there and relax, let the control rest a bit and figure out what might you need to do a bit different these days to rid yourself of what's happening in the NOW. If you are crying a lot, maybe you should see a counselor to talk things out. That has helped me in the past tremendously, just let someone take care of you for once. I'm a big advocate of counsel. I'm here trying to cheer you up...soooo....what does desertlover signify? ???

Mya

17. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

It's ok to cry. In fact, it can help a lot. Cry it out and then get back up and fight the good fight.

18. Linda1002

Linda1002 New Member

I don't get angry often. When I do, it's usually for a good reason. It bothers me a couple of days and then I'm fine again. I just talk myself into getting over it and moving on.

19. woozee

woozee New Member

Desertlover, I hope that you have family and friends to lean on at this time, that always helps. Let them help you through this time. Most of our friends and family want to help. Hope things get better for you.

20. woozee

woozee New Member

Like Linda, I just don't get angry often I guess because I have my daddy's laid back personality. He always said "Honey, if worrying will help...... then worry...... if not...... then just let it go." Being angry is the same way........ I just let it go.